Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Christmas idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christmas idle issues

Hey all, merry christmas.
My Del Sol has been doing some weird stuff.
1. Idles fine on start/cold idle.
2. When it warms and idle drops, it'll misfire randomly, with varying severity, and some times die completely. Sometimes it'll idle fine for five minutes, and just putt once or twice, some times it'll choke and recover, sometimes it'll choke and die.
3. Doesn't surge/hunt at all.
4. On power for the most part it runs fine, sometimes at low rpm/high load, it'll cut out once or twice but that's it.
5. Already swapped plug wires for some NGKs I had laying around.

I suspect a spark issue but I haven't heard of ICMs or coils having intermittent issues like this.
Sticky injector?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Christmas idle issues

Originally Posted by ratchetEDsedan
Hey all, merry christmas.
My Del Sol has been doing some weird stuff.
1. Idles fine on start/cold idle.
2. When it warms and idle drops, it'll misfire randomly, with varying severity, and some times die completely. Sometimes it'll idle fine for five minutes, and just putt once or twice, some times it'll choke and recover, sometimes it'll choke and die.
3. Doesn't surge/hunt at all.
4. On power for the most part it runs fine, sometimes at low rpm/high load, it'll cut out once or twice but that's it.
5. Already swapped plug wires for some NGKs I had laying around.

I suspect a spark issue but I haven't heard of ICMs or coils having intermittent issues like this.
Sticky injector?
What year Del Sol? Engine size? Any mods?
Old 12-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Do a valve adjustment. Inspect the spark plugs for one that looks different from the others, indicating the problem is at that cylinder rather than generalized.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by austen95
What year Del Sol? Engine size? Any mods?
93 Si, D16z6, and nope, completely stock. Has a different set of stock injectors, new cap and rotor like 6 months ago.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Do a valve adjustment. Inspect the spark plugs for one that looks different from the others, indicating the problem is at that cylinder rather than generalized.
I feel that it's worth noting that I had another civic that ran on three cylinders just fine and never died, so I don't see it being an individual cylinder. Whacky valve lash wouldn't cause a constant problem? Valvetrain is super quiet as well.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

93 Si, D16z6, and nope, completely stock. Has a different set of stock injectors, new cap and rotor like 6 months ago.
I would ohm the injectors out and make sure that none of them are fried. The should all be sitting between 10-13Ohms. I’d also check for any vacuum leaks since the issue only happens when the engine is warm I would suspect that the metal is expanding and causing a pretty good vacuum leak if that was it. I worked on an Integra that had crazy vacuum leaks when the engine got warm but ran perfect when it was cold. We ended up retorquing the intake bolts, putting new injector seals in it, and finally a new FITV
Old 12-25-2017, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would ohm the injectors out and make sure that none of them are fried. The should all be sitting between 10-13Ohms. I’d also check for any vacuum leaks since the issue only happens when the engine is warm I would suspect that the metal is expanding and causing a pretty good vacuum leak if that was it. I worked on an Integra that had crazy vacuum leaks when the engine got warm but ran perfect when it was cold. We ended up retorquing the intake bolts, putting new injector seals in it, and finally a new FITV
Now there's a good thought. I know the injector seals are good because that's why I swapped the injectors haha. They were spraying fuel all over the bay under pressure so I swapped O rings. I'm gonna go check out vacuum right now.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now there's a good thought. I know the injector seals are good because that's why I swapped the injectors haha. They were spraying fuel all over the bay under pressure so I swapped O rings. I'm gonna go check out vacuum right now.
Ya my injector seals were super bad to at one point lol. I couldn’t figure out where the gas smell was coming from in my car and figured I would find it once it got worse. Needless to say after I threw up from the smell being so strong I made it my priority to find the cause
Old 12-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya my injector seals were super bad to at one point lol. I couldn’t figure out where the gas smell was coming from in my car and figured I would find it once it got worse. Needless to say after I threw up from the smell being so strong I made it my priority to find the cause
I think I may have found it, I was spraying water on everything, and where the IACV bolts up in the back, there was a place where it should have been pooling up and it looked like it was getting sucked into the crack. I'll order a new gasket and see what happens.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I may have found it, I was spraying water on everything, and where the IACV bolts up in the back, there was a place where it should have been pooling up and it looked like it was getting sucked into the crack. I'll order a new gasket and see what happens.
Awesome! I hope the new gasket fixes it! Give me a heads up if it works