Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Choosing the proper hatch for SCCA IT roadracing...need some model and year specifics from the exper

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing the proper hatch for SCCA IT roadracing...need some model and year specifics from the exper

I have been reading/searching this forum for several days now and I have narrowed my choices considerably already. However, I need some info from you guys because I have only minimal experience with civics and I'm not up on trivia...

For all of my questions, assume we're talking about 92-95 hatches only. Here's what I need to know:

Tach...is the CX the only model that doesn't have one? I'll have to add a new tach to any car I get, but I'm wondering if it's more difficult to add a tach to a car that doesn't have one.

Which models/years have the fewest airbags? I'll have to remove them anyway, so if they're not there to begin with I'll be better off. I specifically don't want a passenger airbag. Again, would that be the CX?

I also DON'T want power windows, power locks, cruise control, AC, or ABS. Which models/years fit this description?

What ECU comes with each of the EG models? I don't have any emissions requirements, so I'll be dumping the exhaust right behind the driver. I wan't to avoid any ECU issues with OBDII, etc. I don't know what civics had back then.

Thanks for any info!!

[Modified by ITR#231, 8:42 PM 3/18/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Choosing the proper hatch for SCCA IT roadracing...need some model and year specifics from the e

Tach...is the CX the only model that doesn't have one? I'll have to add a new tach to any car I get, but I'm wondering if it's more difficult to add a tach to a car that doesn't have one.
Seems to me only the EX's, VX's, Si's, and LX sedans had them. The DX's and CX's did not (of course I'm including the coupes and four doors).

Adding a tachometer equipped cluster to any 1992-1995 Civic is trivial. Totally plug and play. They were all wired for it, and all the ECU's support it.

Which models/years have the fewest airbags? I'll have to remove them anyway, so if they're not there to begin with I'll be better off. I specifically don't want a passenger airbag. Again, would that be the CX?
None of the 1992 models had passenger airbags. ALL the 1995's had dual airbags. I'm not sure when the changeover was.

I also DON'T want power windows, power locks, cruise control, AC, or ABS. Which models/years fit this description?.
Of hatches, only Si's had cruise. The 1992 Si didn't have power doors or windows (but had a power moonroof), I'm not sure, but I think some 1993-1995 Si's had power windows and locks. The ones you're looking for would be the CX, DX, or VX - none of the features you want to exclude came "standard". (you could get AC on all, if you wanted it)

What ECU comes with each of the EG models? I don't have any emissions requirements, so I'll be dumping the exhaust right behind the driver. I wan't to avoid any ECU issues with OBDII, etc. I don't know what civics had back then.
All of the 1992-1995's come with OBDI. The Honda changeover to OBDII came in 1996.

Seems to me that you're looking for a hatch of any breed except the Si. The rest seem to fit nicely in your requirement requests.

Shawn
Old 03-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Choosing the proper hatch for SCCA IT roadracing...need some model and year specifics from the e

One thing to warn you about the CX/VX cars...the gear ratios suck! We're talking ~125mph redline in 3rd gear suck. Add that to 70 hp (CX) and you have a total dog. I know for IT you can do boltons. I was thinking that if you can change gear ratios, which I think you can in IT, then try to source a 92-95 Si/EX gearset.

Dx gear ratios are better, Si the best. Dx is maybe a faster car because it is so much lighter than the Si and the 16v motor in that car responds really well to bolt-ons--better than the 1.6 sohc vtec motor.

EG is a good platform to build from though, so any model choice will be fine.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thanks for such a complete answer

So here's what questions remain...

For the CX, VX, and DX 92-95 hatches only, what were the airbag configurations for each, and in what year's? It seems like I would be safe with a 92, but I would like to expand my options if I could find out that the 93's didn't, or maybe even the 94's too. It's not a big deal, since airbags can be removed, but it's an extra PITA that I don't need if I can avoid it, all else being equal. Driver's airbag is no problem, since I'll be changing the steering wheel anyway. I just want to know which ones came with no passenger airbag.

Second, and something I forgot to ask in my original post...I cannot have a sunroof. All glass on the roof must be removed and welded closed, so it would save me more trouble if the hatch just didn't come with a sunroof. Is the Si the only model between 92-95 that came with a sunroof?

So far, it looks like I'm thinking 92-95 CX, and leaning toward the earlier models due to the airbags.

Again, thanks for the info! It's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One thing to warn you about the CX/VX cars...the gear ratios suck! We're talking ~125mph redline in 3rd gear suck. Add that to 70 hp (CX) and you have a total dog. I know for IT you can do boltons. I was thinking that if you can change gear ratios, which I think you can in IT, then try to source a 92-95 Si/EX gearset.

Dx gear ratios are better, Si the best. Dx is maybe a faster car because it is so much lighter than the Si and the 16v motor in that car responds really well to bolt-ons--better than the 1.6 sohc vtec motor.

EG is a good platform to build from though, so any model choice will be fine.
Didn't see this post in my first reply...

I am still waiting for the IT rulebook, but I believe that I can at least change the FD ratio, which should help a little. Hell, I didn't even think the CX could reach 125mph, LOL! The problem with the DX vs. CX is that they are classed differently. The DX is not competitive in its class, while the CX could be. I'm not sure about where the VX goes. Again, still waiting on the rulebook.

Yea, I like the EG for two reasons...parts and knowledge are abundant and easy to get, and because a lot of my DC2 stuff will fit
Old 03-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought It rules state u must stick with same size wheel as oem. i would just get a crx.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought It rules state u must stick with same size wheel as oem. i would just get a crx.
You do have to stick with the same wheel. 13" Kumhos!! Cheap!

The CRX is classed in ITA, way above the CX. I agree that it's a faster car, but it's also a faster class. Plus, I don't have any parts for a rex, so I would have to start from scratch. It's also much easier to find a good condition CX hatch than it is a non-rusted 88-91 CRX Si.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

The 1992-1993 Civics had single airbags, while in 1994-1995 they had dual airbags.

Only the Si had a sunroof. Si also had P/S, cruise, rear disk brakes, and power mirrors.

If IT makes you keep it mostly stock, then good luck with the CX or VX. As stated above they are horribly slow.

The DX is actually bad-*** if you must keep it mostly stock. Almost as light as the CX/VX, but with 102hp on tap and closer gearing, it will be much nicer than the CX/VX. EDIT* I just saw that the Dx isn't clssed good - my bad.

Here's a helpful link to another thread that discusses differences between models:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=146721

This was focused more on the street car with a swap in mind, so please keep that in mind. Some good info there though.

Good luck - keep us posted

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 10:57 AM 3/19/2002]

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 11:00 AM 3/19/2002]
Old 03-19-2002, 07:45 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive a CX before you buy one. I don't know how much potential there is in that 8v motor, even with IT allowed boltons. That car is S L O W.

You'd better be a master at maintaining speed
Old 03-20-2002, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if u want the eg chassis so bad..at least get the 92-95 dx..as it is more similar to the crx d16a6 . that cx motor aint goin nowhere with 8 valves.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'd better be a master at maintaining speed
Yea, "slow in fast out" becomes "moderate throughout" LOL! Still, even in my ITR it's more about conservation of speed. You need a LOT of power before you can really muscle your way around a road course.

The reason I would never consider a DX (after what I have learned) is the fact that it is classed in ITA. If I end up running ITA, I'll do it in a CRX Si, no question (and that's what I might end up doing). So, even if the DX is a better track car than the CX, you'll never win with a DX. The CX is at least in a slower class, so it doesn't really matter how slow the car is. What matters is how slow the OTHER cars are. Everyone does have a point, though, and that is that racing needs to at least feel fast. I mean, riding lawn mowers are classed together, but you won't see me buyingone. I'll certainly drive the CX before I make any decisions, and I need to find out a little more how it does in IT. Honestly, I'm leaning toward a 88-91 CRX Si, but they're a little harder to find.

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. It looks like the hatch I would be interested in is the 92-93 CX...if I go with the hatch. I'm hopefully going to look at CRXs this weekend.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops. Mis-post.

[Modified by SkyeC, 2:03 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm under the belief that for ITC, the CX wouldn't be a bad car at all. For good advice, post this question up in the Competition forum.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CX did not. DX was an option. ECU and wiring should be present on all cars. Or wire it to teh coil, like you would on a non-ECU car. I can't remember if swapping clusters would be legal or not - better check thge ITCS.

It was a yearly thing, not a trim level thing. 92 had driver only. 94+ had both. Not sure about 93.

I also DON'T want power windows, power locks, cruise control, AC, or ABS. Which models/years fit this description?
All CX, most DX will not have any of this stuff. AC was option on CX, not sure about DX.

YOu should be ok, I think there is only one O2 sensor in the ex. manifold.

My choice for IT only would be the CX. The DX will have a tough time keeping up with the CRX Si (more weight, similar suspension, similar engine).

For dual use (autox in FSP, HC, ITx), I would go with the DX as it is a proven winner in FSP as well.

As for the crap gearing in the CX, you can change the final drive which will help some. But the ratios aren't very good either, but that is true of many ITC cars. You will have fuel injection and a good ecu (which most ITC do not), vented front brakes (which some ITC do not), and a modern suspension. The car weight looks to be reasonable at 2200lbs (if I remember correctly).

Go to http://www.scca.org and look at the FastTracks. The CX specs were listed sometime since Dec 01.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mike P,

I posted something similar to this in the competition forum looking of more general information. I just figured I'd come to the cars' respective forums for the specifics.

Crack Monkey,

Thanks for the info! You bring up a good point about double duty (IT, PS2, SOLO II, etc.). The other choice I have been considering is the 88-91 CRX Si. As far as building a roadrace/autocross car, would you suggest the Civic HB DX (ITA and FSP) or the CRX Si (ITA and CSP)? The CRX is the clear ITA winner, and along with the Miata it is very competitive in CSP. I'll admit, I don't know much at all about running a FSP car. I have run CSP in the past, but not in a CRX.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

What about the 1987 Civic Si or CRX Si? Fuel injected 12 valve and solid rear axle means 3-wheeling and fun!

How is that car classed? I see them raping everyone else at the Atlanta SCCA SoloII **** all day