Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits

WASSSSUUUPP
i have a wingswest RS kit on my CRX and its urethane and that stuff sucks!!! its a pain in the *** to spray it.. therefor from then on i want a fiberglass kit for my EK, but ive heard some stuff about glass kits,, as in they dont fit right and additional glass and bondo work is needed to make then fit good. i do know they have to be fitted, as in holes drilled and so forth, but if more fiberglass is needed just to make the kit fit decent,, screw that, cuz i know the urethane kits are always a direct fit, although i cant see why the fiberglass ones should be any different. if anyone knows if what i heard is true, please let me know or tell me otherwise,, before i go and buy a glass kit and have to whoop some *** becuase it doesnt fit well!!!!
thanks
Old 03-20-2002, 09:43 AM

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (JDM CRX)

There's 2 fiberglass kits that I know of...
1) Hand-Laid - Fiberglass is actually hand-laid so that it is as close of a replica as possible. Not perfect fit, but good. Usually a White color.
2) Sprayed on fiberglass - This is usually the grey or yellow color. (don't quote me on colors) This is the cheapest and fastest way to make replicas, and usually don't fit right.

I like Urethane. Why? It doesn't crack as easily as fiberglass, and yes, you will be getting a better fit. Fiberglass kits are usually heated to fit, and you need a shop to do that. Most shops charge more for Fiberglass kits, because they don't fit right, and require more work...

If anyone wants to correct me, go ahead, I'm not an expert... So those who know, please tell...
Old 03-20-2002, 09:55 AM
New User

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (DX Generation)

i agree. stick with urethane. if you go glass, one dip and you'll be in crack city.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

urethene is so much better than FB quality-wise... why do you think most companies don't make urethene kits? because it cost more. OEM uses urethen because it doesnt crack as easily... thats why urethene kits, like Xenon, Tsunami, etc are 2-3x more costly than crap Fiber glass replicas or even authentic FB kits. you're correct that urethene kits are harder to paint, and require a "flex agent' due to the stretching nature of urethene. you probably shouldnt be spraying the kit urself anyway, even if it's fiberglass... me and my friends used to paint our own bumpers, grills, sideskirts, etc... paint a kit urself will cost u $$$ in paint costs, i suggest you shelf out the 1000 bucks to get it done professionally... trust me i am speaking from experience.

[Modified by tFUnK, 7:49 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 11:42 AM

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (tFUnK)

i spray all my stuff, i do everything myself, it was a pain to locate all the **** i needed to get my urethane prepped for paint, but if you want i can send you a pic of my CRX, anyone who has seen always asks where i got it painted...in my garage i am a painter/bodyman on a level higher then some shops. i was just seeing if all the rumors were true with Fiberglass, and sure enough they were, i just didnt want to go through the 10 steps again into getting urethane ready for paint. but oh well the quality is much better and the overall finish far surpasses any glass kit, i bought my EK with a blitz front end on it,(glass) and someting about it just doesnt look quite the same as urethane. thanks for eveyones input!!
Old 03-20-2002, 02:29 PM

i spray all my stuff, i do everything myself, it was a pain to locate all the **** i needed to get my urethane prepped for paint, but if you want i can send you a pic of my CRX, anyone who has seen always asks where i got it painted...in my garage i am a painter/bodyman on a level higher then some shops. i was just seeing if all the rumors were true with Fiberglass, and sure enough they were, i just didnt want to go through the 10 steps again into getting urethane ready for paint. but oh well the quality is much better and the overall finish far surpasses any glass kit, i bought my EK with a blitz front end on it,(glass) and someting about it just doesnt look quite the same as urethane. thanks for eveyones input!!
Hey, you wanna paint my car? I see you live in Berwyn... I don't feel like payin a grand at JDS or Bodywerks... lookin for a good deal...
Old 03-20-2002, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (DX Generation)

all i can say is that urethane is more durable then fiberglass, but time and sun is a big enemy to urethane, if you live in a very sunny area, it really kills your kit, causing it to deform. if its just a lip, its kool, but if its a full bumper or something then it sucks. for fiberglass, yeah its easy to crack, but fiberglass is hella easy to fix compared to urethane, cause urethane can be damaged, i ran over a truck tire with my wingswest urethane front lip and the thing ripped in half and broke at some other spots. and it also depends on how low your car is, my friend had a buddy club bumper that was like 3" off the ground and he had no problems with it cracking, till he met a log on the freeway. after that he bought a blitz frotn bumper that was cracked in half for $30 and he put it back together by himself, and it looked like it was new, and that was his first time doing work with bondo.

also, ive heard fitments of full urethane bumpers werent all that great as well, and its harder for shops to make the kits fit, unlike fiberglass.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:58 PM

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (SjCiViCHB)

where are you located DX generation???
im currently not working and wouldnt mind taking on a job. i just paint my freinds EF, i have to do my EF, and then my EK, the EF maybe in a week, if your really interested, let me know, i can show you my work and cut a fatty deal with a paint job that will be orgasmic,,, althought its going to take time for a mint job,,,, 2 days to paint it,, then it has to dry completely,, then after that i take real fine grade snad paper to it,, and then buff it out,, and then bling bling your **** doesnt have any orange peal or runs or dust particles....AKA a mint job,,, it also depends if you want a clearcoat, either way, it wil be mint. lemme know if your still interested
Old 03-20-2002, 04:49 PM
New User

Have you ever seen a urethane kit that has been on a car for a long time? The kit gets saggy like an old pair of boobies.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:11 PM

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (2.2 guy)

okay here the low down the pros and cons....urathane is a good thing to get if you get the right one it does sag after a year especially with alot of sun if you have a big bumper it will melt it its hard to paint and never sets in right unless you use the right **** which most body shops dont yes its much stronger than fiberglass but if you hit something you have to have the whole thing painted but if you rip it its not fixable.....fiberglass can be fixed only if its al little crack and plan on getting cracks all fiberglass cracks even those 3000 dollar vielside ones...there is much of a less selection on urathane i guarantee you if you get a urathane kit every other guy will have one...fiberglass is easier to paint and the hand laid ones are definatly better white bumpers anything thats yellow or orange is usually sprayed and no urathane isnt something that the dealer sells they sell abs plastic much differnt and the reason i know this is becouse i work for erebuni which sells both urathane and fibergless and by the way i have a fiberglass kit
Old 03-20-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a fiberglass WW on my old CRX and I f_cked it up pretty bad a couple of times. after about a year it was pretty much made of bondo
Old 03-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits

okay nevermind forget what Ive said up top
Old 03-21-2002, 01:49 AM

gotta use krylon to pain ur urethane...otherwise itll peel right off...
Old 03-21-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Re: urethane Vs fiberglass bodykits (JDMhonda)

yeah, ive been hearing about this "krylon" stuff. some dood in the newbie section said its better then PPG and Spies Hecker.
Erebuni makes the kit i want, the buddy club, although they dont call it that. if its glass, i think it would be okay to buy from them seeing how it isnt cheap and its name brand. which in theory means it should be a good kit.