Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Chipped ECU or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipped ECU or not?

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with phearable.net and there ecu's. I was thinking of getting a chipped ECU for my jdm b16 i/h/e. Also i was wondering if the ECU would be worth the money ($175) for the power gains i would be getting. Any info on this or experience with them would help. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Chipped ECU or not? (Lasky)

Definitely NOT worth it. You can buy a chipped ecu from here for a lot less and you'll get the same if not better power gains depending upon what ROM (program) they send you and what your setup is in accordance to that rom. It's too bad you're soo far away from So Cal, otherwise I'd be able to hook you up
Old 10-30-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Chipped ECU or not? (Equilibrium)

That's where I got mine from...and I absolutely love it

Phearable.net =
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Chipped ECU or not? (JKov240)

You're retarded JKov, Just take out the little 28 pin socket in the bottom left hand corner of the ecu, and throw it in the trash. That's about all you know about honda ECU's, that and the fact you have $$$$$. I'm trying to let the homie right here know that he can get the same if not better ecu for a lot cheaper on here...
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I've been seeing/hearing good things from phearable, so in terms of ordering an ECU they seem to be a reputable source.

...but IMO you will never be able to match the results gievn from any mass chip as you would having a local guy install an Uberdata or Crome set-up, and then tune it on a dyno.

The thing to remember is that whether you go custom program via mail, or local tuner tuning your specific set-up just makes sure that either source is a reputable one.

When you have someone tune your car on a dyno it will be for your exact set-up - general "chips" are trying to make general improvements on a borad spectrum of other peoples' set-ups.

Another thing I'd add is a set of adjustable cam gears. My B18C5 picked up a solid 4-5whp in the midrange, and a good 5-6ft-lbs. of torque in the midrange JUST from dialing in rthe cam timing with adjustable cam gears. The funny thing is one engine may respond differently from another, even if they're the same exact type engine.

Example?

My B18C5 ended up at +4 degrees intake, -2 exhaust, but my friend's B18C5 ended up at +2,+2 to make his best numbers. Same engine and mods, yet for some reason his engine didn't like my cam timing settings.

Sam,e goes for ignition mapping, fuel, and VTEC cross over - all things determined by the ECU tune/program.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 AM

i ordered mine from phearable.net too..cause i need a chipped ecu for my jdm b16a swap because jdm p30 ecu made my car run like **** and kept throwing traction control and knock sensor CEL...i mean $175 for a chipped ecu (p28 ecu included) is not bad..i have had it for 3 months now. the guy tuned the ecu based on the mods u have on your car and he offered me a shift light utilized CEL at 7300 rpm.. good stuff
but dont expect power gain if u dont have any mods..
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chipped ECU or not? (crazyguy)

phearable.net
Old 10-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Equilibrium &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're retarded JKov, Just take out the little 28 pin socket in the bottom left hand corner of the ecu, and throw it in the trash. That's about all you know about honda ECU's, that and the fact you have $$$$$. I'm trying to let the homie right here know that he can get the same if not better ecu for a lot cheaper on here...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's great that he can get it for a better price, but I'd rather spend my money knowing that the person chipping/tuning the ECU has plenty of experience and a good reputation

EDIT: And I don't have a lot of money by any means, I spend my money pretty wisely, thank you very much.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a computer buddy chip my ecu and then I bought a basemap from phearable. He was really helpful and my basemap for my turbo ls was really great, the AR was a little rich but thats not bad after its a little safer. Anyways, $30 for the basemap or $600 for an actual tune that was worth more than my whole longblock, I bought the $30 basemap. I'm sure I could have picked up 30-40 whp on an actual tune but I'm not worried about it.

Phearable =
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chipped ECU or not? (kuja396)

Here's my thinking, if you have a fully built N/A motor or a boosted motor, then get it tuned on the dyno. If you're running a basically stock motor with a few bolt-on's, then phearable.net is the way to go
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys I'm gonna do some searching on the site and check out the prices and feedback for the chipped ecus on here. With the cam gears i would assume tuning is needed to find the optimal settings for intake and exhaust and im trying to stay away from spending that much money. However they seem like a good bang for the buck. I think im gonna stick with the chipped ECU route for now it seems like the people that have dealt with phearable.net were very pleased with what they got.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend them to anybody asking about a chipped ECU...good luck with whatever you decide on
Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a computer buddy chip my ecu and then I bought a basemap from phearable. He was really helpful and my basemap for my turbo ls was really great, the AR was a little rich but thats not bad after its a little safer. Anyways, $30 for the basemap or $600 for an actual tune that was worth more than my whole longblock, I bought the $30 basemap. I'm sure I could have picked up 30-40 whp on an actual tune but I'm not worried about it.

Phearable = </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ryan. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">phearable.net </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ordered mine from phearable.net too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JKov240 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's where I got mine from...and I absolutely love it

Phearable.net = </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for sharing your experience with phearable.net
Customer feedback is always nice to see!

We strive to keep everyone going fast & enjoying their honda/acura

BTW, if any of you guys didn't get decals with your order & want some for your car, just pm me with your shipping info & I will get some out to you :-)

Old 10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im in So Cal ! Can u hook me up with a chip that has stock z6 maps or stock p08 map.