Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A Cheap way to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 A Cheap way to tune?

OK engine's a d15b7, cold air intake, headers, exhaust , hollowed out cat, and always gets 91 or higher octane... my question to you fellas is, if i jump the service connector and advance the timing a couple of degrees on the distributer, would this give me more hp/torque? And if so would this cause damage to the motor? Keep in mind of the higher octane.

Any and all feedback is appreciated......

Last edited by ArsonistsMind; 05-11-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A Cheap way to tune?

just swap the motor for less headache.
and in the long run its going to do more damage than anything. its a 1.5 no vtec. it shouldnt be running much HP and TQ to begin with.
If your going to get it tuned at all remember one thing...

Cheap---Reliable---Fast. Pick 2 and forever hold your peace.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM

just cause its not v-tec dont mean it cant have alot of HP =\
Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You just paraphrased what i said.

just cause its not v-tec dont mean it can have alot of HP =\

See what i did there^^
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM

you said it shouldnt though and all i said it could
Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumb!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:29 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ArsonistsMind
OK engine's a d15b1, cold air intake, headers, exhaust , hollowed out cat, and always gets 91 or higher octane... my question to you fellas is, if i jump the service connector and advance the timing a couple of degrees on the distributer, would this give me more hp/torque? And if so would this cause damage to the motor? Keep in mind of the higher octane.
Tuning an engine with dual point fuel injection is an exercise in futility.

All you're going to do by advancing the ignition timing is take power away from the low end, which is the D15B1's strong point. Shifting a few ponies up to the high end of the RPM range is useless, because the DPFI causes the power curve to fall flat on its face above 3500 RPM. I know; I drive a D15B1 Civic daily.

Also, running 91 or higher (R+M)/2 rated fuel is just one way to throw money away. That engine doesn't need anything more than 87, and is running less efficiently on the more expensive fuel.

If you want to go faster, stop playing games and just do an MPFI conversion already.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will want to tune your ECU for the modifications you make so you actually do get the extra power advantage out of it. Either way you dont need to run 91 octane... 87 is fine.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump i have almost the same question?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by EG-SIXV-TEC
Bump i have almost the same question?
well for you we dont know what engine you have nor what u have on your car. and make a thread for your self. and not steal his thread
Old 05-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you set your timing lately?

I recently had a 94 GSR with an OG distributor, it was almost 8 degrees off from base timing. Set it to stock and it gained a solid 5-7ft lbs through out the pull.

Just worn out parts.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you wanna go the cheap route and make gobs of power over the crap you're running right now, get a SOHC VTEC head and mini-me it.. I'd recommend a couple tuning options but don't want you to get in over your head.. Sounds like you don't know much of anything about making power or how hondas and how the corresponding ECU's work to start with..

Just a heads up.. HP cost $$.. More $$ usually = more HP.. USUALLY..

Last edited by gotz2b16; 05-11-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks all for the replies
yes i do have a general understanding of how ecu's work, i currently am working on chipping my p06 and running chrome (god bless pgmfi.org).... i seen a lot of good replies even with the constructive criticism. I know d15s dont make alot of power, i know a mini me swap or going turbo is the best way to get any decent numbers out of a d15.... But i have what i have to work with. My questions are is there free horse power to gain in advancing my timing on the distributer (which is only like three bolts and turning it counter clockwise, besides the service connector), if so will this be usable power (i believe Targa250R made a good point about the torque curve in his reply post) or will this just take away from my low end and give me a couple unusable ponies at the extreme top end of the powerband. Also how damaging could this be to the motor? I mean when a car is tuned you are adjusting the timing and a/f ratios. In most cases you advance the timing and use the a/f ratio to adjust egt's. Am i wrong? So instead of going all out and getting a chipped p06, hondata, aem ems, or whatever. Couldn't i just advance the timing a little bit to compliment the bolt-ons?

Also since 91+ is used wouldn't this allow me to run leaner, or advance my timing more giving me more leeway towards detonation?

D series aint that bad look at bisimoto's old crx

EDIT: engine's a d15b7 not b1 (not mine but a friends car sorry)

Last edited by ArsonistsMind; 05-11-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dual points have about as much power potential as a pig does looking sexy... You may only get a couple horse out of it, nothing that's noticeable..

I hear you talk about the check connector.. you DO NOT gain power by driving your car like that.. in fact I think you might be able to hurt your engine like that.. The SCS is only to be jumped to check codes and set your base timing so the ECU knows you're servicing the car.. DO NOT Drive with it jumped..

As said before, you're wasting your $$ on 91 on a low compression, no flow setup.. MAYBE add a couple degrees (like +2?), a fresh tune up and a little less restrictive exhaust and that's all you're really gonna be able to do with a DPFI setup.. Crome I don't think supports DPFI maps, you might run into a problem there..

In all reality, Everyone thinks you're wasting your time messing around like you are.. Not to be rude about it..

Air flow (In the head) has everything to do with HP.. Your DPFI D15 engine probably makes around 80hp.. A B16 is 100cc larger engine and makes twice that amount of power because of the race style head with matching components that are used that flows ALOT of air! Hell, a D16Z6 makes around 125hp.. It's all air flow.. (and compression ratio, and chamber design) but that's over the head of this conversation..

Just run 87, save your pennies and get a real engine swap if you want to go fast..
Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has a d15b7 which is MPFI, not DPFI. Anyway, check this out: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=effec...fp=ICVP5FShbzg
Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gotz2b16
I hear you talk about the check connector.. you DO NOT gain power by driving your car like that.. in fact I think you might be able to hurt your engine like that.. The SCS is only to be jumped to check codes and set your base timing so the ECU knows you're servicing the car.. DO NOT Drive with it jumped..
I am aware that i should not drive with the service check connector jumped, as i stated before i would only like to advance my "base" timing...you mention an advancement of up 2*, which is what i had in mind nothing spectacular.

I understand horsepower is in the heads my man thats why im a honda fan and not a V8 head...
Im hearing alot of criticism saying that what im doing is a waste of time and that i should just swap the motor/mini me it... Well that stuff costs $ (is in the plans though), and I apologize but to me FREE hp no matter how minute is NOT a waste of time, especially by something so trivial as to advance timing on your disty but just a hair..... 2-5 horsepower is an intake, an exhaust, whatever...some people spend 200-300 or more on parts that will get them the same effect. Why is it a waste of time if i can get free power from it?

The engine has a good intake, megan racing header, no cat and a sweet *** exhaust job, its a budget build and i think advancing the timing (just a little bit) will def be an improvement...

Oh and the p06 is going in my G23 eg6 (Coming soon) this isnt my car but a good buddies...
Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_driver
He has a d15b7 which is MPFI, not DPFI. Anyway, check this out: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=effec...fp=ICVP5FShbzg
thanks for the link... i think this will help me to shed some light on the subject....Im prolly gonna do it despite what the naysayers think.... I will post my findings and let you guys know what happens...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ArsonistsMind, do some reading on exhaust design. Look up the term scavenging. You sound like you're on the right track with the G23, but running a hollowed cat on a SOHC sounds kinda rice and will harm the low end. Decide what you're after, choose accordingly.

As for cheap tuning, an air fuel controller (AFC, SAFC, VAFC, etc) and a wide band is about as cheap as it's going to get. You're getting a G23, so you may as well get the tuning equipment now and play around with it. That way if you make a mistake, you just blow a SOHC.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by callmechad
you said it shouldnt though and all i said it could
And im right
it shouldnt
its not by any means a performance motor in any aspect of the word. Ive seen lawnmowers with more power than these motors and they're the kind you push.

OP save your money for the G23. H/F series FTW
Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nix94delsol
OP save your money for the G23. H/F series FTW
$90 junkyard f23b, H23 head getting for free from a buddy,Chipped P06, the only thing thats gonna kill me is mounts and axles, still deciding on the tranny also but them #'s are pretty cheap, and its gonna be a torque monster.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:03 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by nix94delsol
You just paraphrased what i said.

just cause its not v-tec dont mean it can have alot of HP =\

See what i did there^^
i had a d15 running 10psi of boost with a buddys back yard tune and build all on stock internals