Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

changing altnator, NEED HLEP FAST! (already searched)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I want to be MADE into Ice-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing altnator, NEED HLEP FAST! (already searched)

ok my sisters altnator went bad the other day, so I told my step dad I'd put the new one in so he wouldn't have to pay the local shop an arm and a leg, so I started on the project and I've searched before hand on how to do it, so I take all three holding bolts off and pivot the altnator fowards and remove the belt. So at this point it's freely moving around with out a belt and all that is holding me back is getting it off the bracket that bolts onto the back of the block. My question is: Do I need to remove the bracket from the block or can I some how pry the altnator out of the "U" shaped bracket?
Any help at all would be appreciated

thanks H-T
Old 06-30-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: changing altnator, NEED HLEP FAST! (preacherboy)

ok I figured out that I need to take off the bracket that holds the altnator to the block, but GOOD GRIEF how tight can a bolt be...!! I've spent more time tryin to break them loose than I've ever spent on a bolt before. My friend has a portable air compressor (smaller one than normal) I was thinking about using that on one of the bolts but I would not be able to get the air ratchet around the other bolt that is actually under the altnator. What did you do, if you've done this job before?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by preacherboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok my sisters altnator went bad the other day, so I told my step dad I'd put the new one in so he wouldn't have to pay the local shop an arm and a leg, so I started on the project and I've searched before hand on how to do it, so I take all three holding bolts off and pivot the altnator fowards and remove the belt. So at this point it's freely moving around with out a belt and all that is holding me back is getting it off the bracket that bolts onto the back of the block. My question is: Do I need to remove the bracket from the block or can I some how pry the altnator out of the "U" shaped bracket?
Any help at all would be appreciated

thanks H-T </TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure that the bottom bolt is removed. At that point, pivoting it back and forth a few times may get it to come free, and if not, from underneath the car, place a large screwdriver (or something thicker if need be) and pry it out. The alternator will come out, and it may be heavy, especially since you won't have much leverage unless it's on a lift. I found that the easiest way to remove the alternator on the EG is by lowering to underneath the car (if it's an EF, you can unbolt the brake MC from the booster to gain enough room to bring it up top). Installation is the reverse of removal.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: changing altnator, NEED HLEP FAST! (Josh Carr)

thanks man, so I can just "pry" it out? OK ill defently try that! it's a 94 ex I plan on taking it out of the bottom but Ill go and try to "pry" it out, thanks for the help!\
Any one else?

thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't need to remove the bracket to the block. There is the top connection (used to tighten the belt) and the bottom with a bolt with a square end and a nut. make sure you remove that bottom bolt, and the alternator will come right out with some persuasion.

Last post was 1 minute too late.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:39 PM

yeah I took that square-ended bolt out, so I should just play with it and try to wiggle it out or actually get underneither can pry it out with a screw driver?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With my CRX's, wiggling was enough, but I found that my EG is a little tighter, and needs to be pried.

Josh
Old 06-30-2004, 03:19 PM

ok I got the old one out and now Im tryin to get the new one into the bracket....... wow what a task! How did you do it Carrr?
Old 06-30-2004, 05:40 PM

update! I just finished the project, overall it was a mildly easy job, but once I figured out what the heck I was doing it got way eaiser, thanks for your help Carr.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No problem. We all have to start somewhere.

Josh