Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full

yesterday when i was waiting for my deposit slip in the banks drive-thru i checked my guages and notice the temp. was real real high. So i turned off the car got my deposit slip and went to the nearest parking. I popped hte hood turned my ignition to on and fans turned. That tells me the fans are working fine. I went to my nearest oreilly auto parts and bought a new thermostat. Installed in and put some 50/50, bleed coolant, and everything was working fine. Coolant circulating, fans turning, etc.
Now today i went to friends house which is about a 10-13 minute drive. I popped the hood everything looked fine...checked my resoirvor and it was at max but noticed little bubbles. Like a bubble every minute coming out of the hose. Stayed there for awhile and went home..popped the hood again and noticed my resoirvor was overfilled. Checked my hoses both were hot and hard to pinch. Bubbles coming out resoirvor hose not much but like i said one every minute. Motor sounds fine but i have a feeling its the head gasket. The day before in the morning i let the car get warmed up and my little girl got in the front seat and reved my engine close to redline while i was putting my son in the car. Could this be the cause or "what causes a head gasket to go bad??" Other probable causes i can check before i replace h.g.??

Somethings that i checked:
1. No white smoke coming out from exhaust
2. no deposits inside resoirvor or oily substance.
3. checked oil dipstick no greenish or coolant smell
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full (civic_tuned)

awhile back gsrpatrick had the same problem like mine and his problem was the a/c condensor. What does that have to do with my cooling system??
Old 03-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full (civic_tuned)

Thermostat's control the minimum temp, and generally don't affect overheating unless they're stuck closed.

Did you bleed the coolant thoroughly after the thermostat change?

She could have blown the headgasket but the engine would have had to be in bad condition to blow so easily. So don't blame the little girl.

How many miles are on the water pump? Can you see any coolant beeding up at the weep hole?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thermostat's control the minimum temp, and generally don't affect overheating unless they're stuck closed.

Did you bleed the coolant thoroughly after the thermostat change?

She could have blown the headgasket but the engine would have had to be in bad condition to blow so easily. So don't blame the little girl.

How many miles are on the water pump? Can you see any coolant beeding up at the weep hole?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the water pump is good was changed last year and oem from honda.

Sorry coolant beeding up the weep hole?? So u recommend flushing coolant completely and the bleed thoroughly??
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just a question how can over reving blow a headgasket??
Old 03-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else??
Old 03-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what i dont get how come the coolant is not circulating?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your still ahving the problem , you may have too much air in the system. I had the same issue. Run your car, open the bleeder valve, let it run until its absolute solid coolant. I have been told honda's are a bitch to bleed " i could go somewhere with that" so give it a shot

P.S. I bled mine like 3 times before the issue stopped. been running fine ever since,
Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full (Blzdeep)

Easier way to bleed it is just to take off the radiator cap when it's cold, start it, and let it warm up completely (radiator fan comes on).

How do you know your coolant isn't circulating? If it isn't, then your thermostat isn't open or you have some serious blockage.

You could try a chemical flush.

There are weep holes on the water pump to tell you when it goes bad.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full (suspendedHatch)

agreed, my pump was not circulating properly at first either ....... gunk build up
Old 03-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changed thermostat however "coolant not circulationg"...resoirvor full (Blzdeep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blzdeep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your still ahving the problem , you may have too much air in the system. I had the same issue. Run your car, open the bleeder valve, let it run until its absolute solid coolant. I have been told honda's are a bitch to bleed " i could go somewhere with that" so give it a shot

P.S. I bled mine like 3 times before the issue stopped. been running fine ever since,</TD></TR></TABLE>

where is this bleeder valve??
Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Easier way to bleed it is just to take off the radiator cap when it's cold, start it, and let it warm up completely (radiator fan comes on).

How do you know your coolant isn't circulating? If it isn't, then your thermostat isn't open or you have some serious blockage.

You could try a chemical flush.

There are weep holes on the water pump to tell you when it goes bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

update: Today i turned on my car and motor was totally cold. Opened top or resoirvor. It was higher than full(max) not to the point it was spilling. Waited for something to happen like thermostat opening or fans turning. Thermostat opened cause i felt the bottom hose getting warm. AFter awhile i guess it sucked in some coolant cause now resoirvor is back at max. I could still c little bubbles coming out of the hose. Fans turned on so that good. Took it for a spin came back and top and bottom hose were hard. Checked the resorvoir and it looked like the water was boiling. i touched the water but it was just warm not x-hot. Still bubbling and coolant went back to over max. temperature normal maybe i had to continue driving in it until overheating like fri.

Oem honda water pump is one year old. How do i now my lines are clogged?? how do i unclog them or how can i unclog the radiator instead of buying one??
Old 03-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to let it run with cap off until you see no more bubbles. I know its a pain, i went through it.

The bleeder valve it where your top hose goes from the radiator to the motor.