Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cf hoods......worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cf hoods......worth it?

hey everyone, have a question, ive been wanting a cf hood and recently i have heard they get fucked up after a while and look like ****, now it that because the quality or does this happen over a period of time? i wouldnt want to spend money on something that i know will expletive up after a while..yaw mean?
hit me back peace
-Pinoycivic
Old 07-19-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: cf hoods......worth it? (PinoyCivic)

I've had a VIS that's two years old and still looks like new (aside from a few rock chips towards the bottom front since it's a dd). If you like the look then go for it I would stick with a name brand such as VIS or Seibon however.

One of the only things I hear people complaining about is if the clear coat starts to fade, it will get a cloudy look or turn kinda yellowish, if that happens you can just take it to a body shop.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cf hoods......worth it? (leeminho86)

I mean do you want a CF Hood for looks or you're just trying to get some weight off of your car? if you want it for looks is cool but your car will get more attention from COPS and thieves but if you want to make your car lighter is better to go Sleeper and paint your CF Hood to your car color

Seibon
Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, CF hood is too high maintenance. I have one on my car, came with it when I bought it. Since them I had to reclear it because I didn't wax it often enough and the clearcoat turned to ****. If you don't wax it often, water spots form (I live where there's a lot of rain). If I had a chance to trade for a stock white hood, I would.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend not getting it, it's high in maintenance in a rainy area (or any upstate area like NY)...but ur in florida so I wouldn't worry about temp...personally I just feel it's one more thing that turns heads of cops and thieves not to mention once it breaks it's fucked, u can't repair it...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CF hood has held up quite well. I like the look and less weight is always a . As far as maintaining it, I heard it's not good to wax them, it messes the clear coat up and turns it yellow. My friends and I all use Eagle One spray wax. Works great!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like everyone else said the clearcoat fades over time, but if it gets bad just redo the clear, its not that hard
Old 07-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cf hoods......worth it? (VTECommie)

I've had my VIS hood for about 4 years and for the last 2 years I've been able to park in a garage (we moved to a bigger house),but just recently it starded to fade,get cloudy I guess you can say.When my DD is finished I'm just going to get it re clear coated.I would say go with a VIS,seibon or something that's good quality...it might cost a little more,but its well worth it.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:02 AM

well with all that said, how do you maintain the clear coat and the look of it? just get it resprayed? special wax? magic words?..ha

-PinoyCivic
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PinoyCivic)

I think you just have to get it resprayed.I've waxed mine,but it still faded.Considering the years I've had it,I can't complain.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend has had one on his wrx for the past 3 years. in the 2 years he drove it, it's held up quite well. has a few chips since he was DDing it for awhile.. but since he rebuilt the motor, it hasn't seen the road for almost a year now (he's taking forever with the damn thing.. but at least he's doing it right)
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM

i like the look of carbon fiber hood. ive had a total of 3 carbon fiber hoods on my ek within a year. But, i sometimes wish to get a stock black hood because i tend to park in the sun a lot and the carbonfiber tends to turn yellow'ish/cloudy look. its too much maintenance for a lazy person like me i dont even wash my car that often.. only like once every 1-2 months
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: cf hoods......worth it? (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, CF hood is too high maintenance. I have one on my car, came with it when I bought it. Since them I had to reclear it because I didn't wax it often enough and the clearcoat turned to ****. If you don't wax it often, water spots form (I live where there's a lot of rain). If I had a chance to trade for a stock white hood, I would.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn if I only lived in Hawaii