Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL code 43, anyone might have something on the mind that i dont

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL code 43, anyone might have something on the mind that i dont

94 honda del sol vtec... but it has a jdm b16 with a chipped p30 in it.. umm new walbro 190 fuel pump... injectors are good.. new fuel filter... fuel pressure regualtors good... so im lost...!!??!?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CEL code 43, anyone might have something on the mind that i dont (birds_sol_94)

Has it always had the code? Or did it just pop up after installing some new components?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: CEL code 43, anyone might have something on the mind that i dont (EE_Chris)

well heres a short story on my car... first the stock p30 ecu in it shorted out... dont know why or for what reason.... and i thought i had a bent vlave.. so i jsut got a new motor for the time being... jdm b16a... put that in still had the problem with burnt ecu b/c i didnt know... so i got to checking all my sensors and everything lead to bad ecu and dizzy... so i put a new dizzy and ecu in it... but in the time i replaced fuel pump with a 190 walbro and main relay... fuel rails clean and pressure regulator is clean... fuel filter was reaplced to .. but i dont have my evap system hooked up... but ever since i put that chipped p30 in its always thrown that code... that why im thinking i got a bad ecu maybe... i dunno...
Old 07-05-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: CEL code 43, anyone might have something on the mind that i dont (birds_sol_94)

BUMP
Old 07-05-2006, 12:18 PM

ANYONE OUT THERE
Old 07-05-2006, 08:50 PM

what is the computer chipped for? and why did you disconnect everything for evap?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Re: (jdeemseerx)

well the evap is still connectd properly.. i just dont have the purge syl hooked up because i broke it when i was doing the swap... i got the computer chipped because i wanted it to be.. haha.. it was just to bring out a lil more potential in the car.. nothing major... but the thing is it will only throw that code when im in 5th gear for over 5 to 10 mins at a time running around 60... but i dont notice any difference in the cars performance.. i mean i took out a gsr del sol that had alot more work than me... and it kinda amazed me..
Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same exact problem, didn't know exactly what triggered it (that it was in 5th gear for 5-10 minutes) - I thought it was random, but I guess that makes sense...I kinda disregard it and just reset the ignition system so it goes away but I don't do anything to fix it because I don't know what the expletive it is and it's not ******* with my car...the fuel pump (stock) that I have has to be working fine as there's no jerks in power or anything, my friend a guy I know changed out the fuel filter (I don't even know where the filter is on a honda, go figure, I should have found it and replaced it myself, ha), and the fuel rail is good... A friend that's not the most knowledgable about cars but has some okay ideas cosmetic wise (he's more of an artist when it comes to pimpin ur car - not w/ body kits and ****, but with boxes and sub setups etc., although he can't build ****, he comes up with some badass ideas) said that it coul be because there's bigger injectors than stock in my car...I doubt that's the reason because I don't think it'll matter - the ECU tells the fuel injector to inject X fuel based on Y oxygen per stroke, and it does that, so bigger injectors shouldn't throw a CEL....that just doesn't make sense....so what's left? The evap system is about it - it's all there and appears to be hooked up.... Like yours... Not sure if it's working though? I'm thinking I might actually take it to autozone as I don't feel like dealing with people who are giving me these bullshit suggestions...so not meaning to threadjack, but has anybody ever heard of bigger than stock injectors tripping the 43 "fuel system" CEL? I sure haven't... Anyways, long story short, I replaced the same **** and I have hte same problem, and the only thing htat's raelly left is the evap system...but I don't know how to check that to see if it's working....in fact I hate dealing with anything having to do with any of that, like the charcoal canister and such, I just send it out to my friend b/c I ******* hate :-\ so Blah - based on this little analysis here I'd say it's very possible the purge selanoid is what's causing this....
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i mean.. i sat and thought ... i couldnt be the ecu.. and the evap system working or not wont cause no problems .. its just there for "emissions" haha.. expletive emissions.. that y i have a dc header high flow cat and skunk2 exhaust.. because i dont care.. but yea.. sometime my car will throw cel 43 and sometimes it wont.. so imma just let it hang on itself and let it do its thing
Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

CEL 43 either indicates your O2 is failing or the wiring between the ECU and O2 is messed up.

a high flow cat or header will not cause this.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Re: (Relic1)

well i know its not any wiring to the ecu... ive went over that one before... and its prolly is my o2.. ive had the car for 4yrs now it has 130gs on it... and its prolly never been changed... and im not a we-tard here... i know my highflow cat wont cause that.. or my header... not everyone on here isnt mechanically inclined...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CEL 43 either indicates your O2 is failing or the wiring between the ECU and O2 is messed up.

a high flow cat or header will not cause this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Iono, I have a similiar or possibly the same problem as him, and I really doubt it's either, I really think it has something to do with something else on my setup
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (birds_sol_94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by birds_sol_94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and im not a we-tard here... i know my highflow cat wont cause that.. or my header... not everyone on here isnt mechanically inclined... </TD></TR></TABLE>
sorry man, I didn't mean that comment directly to you. more of a just in case type of statement.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:56 PM

yea my bad too... haha.. been having a lil bit of a bad day... and im not the happiest right now...
Old 07-06-2006, 08:45 PM

isnt code 43 fuel supply system..? o2s have there own code if they were failing it sounds like your purge solenoid which would explain why its only throwing a code at cruise. also walboro's tend to not like it when your tank is below 1/4 full just another idea
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 AM

haha yea... i know... i found that out the fun way...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isnt code 43 fuel supply system..? o2s have there own code if they were failing it sounds like your purge solenoid which would explain why its only throwing a code at cruise.</TD></TR></TABLE>
a little explination of why this may be it. when the car is cruising down the road the ECU is reading the O2 and watching it swing nicely from .4-.7V (or there abouts) the ECU adds a little fuel when the O2 reads lean and pulls a little when it runs rich. There is a limit to how much fuel the ECU can pull or add to get the swing. If it hits that and the O2 still doesn't swing it sets the code.
This only happens if you remain at a constant RPM and throttle position for a little while. So it doesn't happen unless you're cruising.

It may also be the purge solinoid, but only if it's intermittent in opening or closing. stuck open or stuck closed would result in the ECU compensating all the time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also walboro's tend to not like it when your tank is below 1/4 full just another idea</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe I'm lucky or something, what kind of problems do they have?
I've never had an issue with mine even when my gauge stopped working and I ran out of gas.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:17 PM

but wouldnt it throw an 02 code? and he said he broke the purge solenoid and my understanding is that it only opens at cruise to push vapors back into the I.M. for fuel economy..and then closes but i can definately be wrong about that just tryin to learn here
Old 07-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the O2 taking a dump on u..i had this code too..replace it and reset the ecu and u should be good...
Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but wouldnt it throw an 02 code?</TD></TR></TABLE>
nope, the O2 code is only set when the ECU doesn't see enough signal. it sets 43 if the O2 doesn't respond as expected.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and he said he broke the purge solenoid and my understanding is that it only opens at cruise to push vapors back into the I.M. for fuel economy..and then closes but i can definately be wrong about that just tryin to learn here</TD></TR></TABLE>
true it only opens at cruising speeds and the open valve sucks fuel vapors from the charcoal canister, but if the solinoid's broke or MIA it may cause the engine to stumble or a lag in throttle responce, but it shouldn't cause CEL-43.
All though if the O2 is close to starting to set this anyway, the missing purge solinoid will cause the code indirectly. (sorry, thinking out loud)
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump