Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car wont start, solenoid clicks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start, solenoid clicks.

Car is a 93 hatch with a GSR swap, turbo'd. Stock ignition, new plugs, new alternator (as of today) and new battery (last week)

Car initially wouldnt even prime the fuel pump, id turn the key, solenoid would click. So i jumpstarted the car, started fine. Aday later it had progressed to not being able to jumpstart, so i bought a new battery thinking maybe mine was toast. This battery did the same thing after about 2 days, so i assumed alternator, and replaced that today.

I jump the car, it starts first try, let it idle for 15 minutes, turn it off, take off the jumper cables. I turn the key, and the solenoid clicks. (alternator is brand new)

So i put the jumper cables back on, turn the key, car just turns over. The fuel pump is priming, starter is working, car just wont start.

In the midst of all of this i had checked the Valve cover ground, the tranny ground, and the ground on the back side of the head where the coolant comes out. All 3 were good. Im not sure if it has something to do with it but im tuned on neptune with anti theft, and it turns over like it never got the password at all. Wondering if its just a ground issue somewhere, if its the anti theft, or if theres an ground for the ECU or something? Im open to all ideas.

If you've got time feel free to text me 208 553 8095 with any questions/suggestions. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: car wont start, solenoid clicks.

Your "new" alternator is probably not charging and therefore killing your batteries. What voltage do you read across the battery posts with the engine idling?

Does the charge light in the cluster work? Does it stay on with the engine running?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the new alternator came AFTER the new battery, as of today actually. had the new batt on for a week, ish, and it wasnt charging which is why i assumed the alternator was bad.

The charge light WAS on before the alternator change, and now isnt on when i turn the key to ACC, what does that mean?

Still doesnt explain why the car started the first time i jumped it today, and then after i let it run 15 minutes, turn it off, it wouldnt start again would just turn over repeatedly.

So no charge light means? and any other ideas as to why it wont start after it had JUST started?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and didnt have a multimeter i can grab one tomorrow!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The alternator is clearly unable to charge the system, thereby killing your batteries. Do the battery voltage test I mentioned, with and without the high beams and rear window defogger on.

The lack of a charge light suggests that the voltage regulator is not getting voltage. Check the alternator plug and main cable. Maybe you didn't get the alternator plug fully seated during the installation.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay ill definitely do that tomorrow, but shouldnt my car still start with a jump start? Im confused as to why it would start with a jumpstart, and then 15 minutes later not start with a jumpstart, when nothing had changed.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kelb
Okay ill definitely do that tomorrow, but shouldnt my car still start with a jump start? Im confused as to why it would start with a jumpstart, and then 15 minutes later not start with a jumpstart, when nothing had changed.
its mad at you. jk

dont know how long you had this car but i would have started off with a meter testing alt. output voltage and amps. and v at the battery. now that it wont start you have to check afs air fuel spark.

but idid purchase a 92 bubble one time for 200 bucks because the person that did the swap switched the cables on the fuse box and had the same issue.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

had the car for a year now, was a stock gsr when i bought it, just started doing this one day. I cant find a multimeter around work anywhere so i think ima tow it to a friends shop tonight, just wanted to see if anyone thought of an easy fix for it.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kelb
had the car for a year now, was a stock gsr when i bought it, just started doing this one day. I cant find a multimeter around work anywhere so i think ima tow it to a friends shop tonight, just wanted to see if anyone thought of an easy fix for it.
this just might be long shot but have you checked your fuses at all?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that was actually the first thing i did because the car was running fine, came home, turned it off, 10 min later went to start it, and the solenoid clicked. i was like hm, maybe i blew a fuse (fuel pump didnt prime) so i checked them all with a tester, they were all good.

Car started today, first try, with a jump, drove home (the whole way its stuttering, like its untuned everytime i give it over like 30% throttle) This is why i think its a ground or something.

Anyway, got home, turned it off, turned key, solenoid just clicks because battery is dead. A faulty ground would keep the battery from charing wouldnt it?