Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAR WON'T START RUNNING OUT OF IDEARS???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAR WON'T START RUNNING OUT OF IDEARS???

dude my damn 99 ek won't start and i checked for spark there is no spark the distributor is re manufactured the coil is brand new. The car will start and drive but unexpectedly cuts off while driving kind of like it is running out of gas then wont start again. car is getting fuel though i took off the line from the fuel filter and kicked the car over fuel shot out so its getting fuel..........I can't figure it out I am running out of ideas man this **** is driving me crazy I went out to replace the ignitor tonight i replaced it and tried to start it, nothing! IM GOING NUTS PLEASE HELP!!!! CEL but no reader??? what could set off CEL that make no spark and these symptoms?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love these threads cuz diagnosing is the best
ok check list:
check all grounds
u say it will start sometimes and that sometimes it will die on the road...u also said ur dizzy is a reman so check ur distributor... if not check coil for resistance...and how does it run when it does turn on?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WON'T START RUNNING OUT OF IDEARS??? (dan89crxsi)

I would check the CEL first. Jump the wire near the ecu and count the flashes. Search to find the instructions and code info.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WON'T START RUNNING OUT OF IDEARS??? (powerflow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by powerflow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would check the CEL first. Jump the wire near the ecu and count the flashes. Search to find the instructions and code info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow...+1 for the noob...always check your codes...thats whats the check engine light is for
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WON'T START RUNNING OUT OF IDEARS??? (turbociviccoupe)

i did check the cel recently when the problem first occurred it was insufficient catalytic converter flow but i replaced the cat and the broke *** o2 sensor that was in the cat.........i then replaced the coil reset the cel and thought the problem was fixed then the cel came back on and the car cut off again and wouldn't start after like a week of driving.

Now.....When the car does run it runs shitty like it bogs at 3000+rpm and in high rpm near red line it is like it is missing and car jerks and bogs

????? WTF ????????
Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try checking the check engine light again might be a new code
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to check the ecu codes first if you want to diagnos the problem efficiently.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAR WON'T START RUNNING OUT OF IDEARS??? (turbociviccoupe)

alright i am going to get my boys code reader tomorrow i guess i can't do **** till then im up drinking and its pissing me off i got the dizzy here in front of me i am going to put the old ignitor back in and check the cel tomorrow please check up with me tomorrow i told ya this is driving me crazy i hate diagnosing!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i check the code without a code reader what wire do i jump? use a test light?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
* B A N N E D *

it could be a fuel problem if ur not gettin anything from the check engine light
i don't think a light even comes on if your pump is fried
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i love these threads cuz diagnosing is the best
ok check list:
check all grounds
u say it will start sometimes and that sometimes it will die on the road...u also said ur dizzy is a reman so check ur distributor... if not check coil for resistance...and how does it run when it does turn on?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cowboy bebop rocks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow...+1 for the noob...always check your codes...thats whats the check engine light is for</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm a noob to, so +2. I had no idea you could check OBD-IIb cars by jumping a service connector - I didn't even know that OBD-IIb cars had a service connector there, all the ones I've seen have a service port under the dash for a scanner, nothing "jumpable."

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nicko360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it could be a fuel problem if ur not gettin anything from the check engine light
i don't think a light even comes on if your pump is fried</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt it's a fuel problem. He's NOT getting a spark and then it just DIES. It sounds COMPLETELY spark related. Usually stuttering and sputtering is involved with a fuel problem when it stalls.

At OP:
I'd replace the ENTIRE distributor and see where you are from there.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm a noob to, so +2. I had no idea you could check OBD-IIb cars by jumping a service connector - I didn't even know that OBD-IIb cars had a service connector there, all the ones I've seen have a service port under the dash for a scanner, nothing "jumpable."

</TD></TR></TABLE>

on the obd2 cars there is something jumpable...its a plug just like the obd1 cars...located on the passenger kick panel near the ecu...a code reader isnt necessary
Old 01-25-2007, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

ok..so if a OBD2 has a jumper to check the CEL like ^^^ said..you can prob use this https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1171263 ...if not, just take it to autozone and have them check it out for free...then check back with the code you're gettin...
Old 01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (turbociviccoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbociviccoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

on the obd2 cars there is something jumpable...its a plug just like the obd1 cars...located on the passenger kick panel near the ecu...a code reader isnt necessary </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I see, I was just remarking that I've never seen it. Oh well, live and learn.

EDIT:
Well, had no idea that you could do the same thing to OBD-II cars.

Modified by Syndacate at 5:33 AM 1/25/2007
Old 01-25-2007, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is all sorts of info/step by step how to's in the archives about this. Remember that there could me many codes not just one. In some situations I've seen one smaller problem throw multiple codes.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18CivicEg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CivicEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...if not, just take it to autozone and have them check it out for free...then check back with the code you're gettin...</TD></TR></TABLE>
how would i get it to autozone if it does'nt start?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dan89crxsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dan89crxsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how would i get it to autozone if it does'nt start?</TD></TR></TABLE>

jedi mind tricks!!!

use the link 18civiceg gave...it explains how to check for codes. gl man
Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cowboy bebop rocks.

I doubt it's a fuel problem. He's NOT getting a spark and then it just DIES. It sounds COMPLETELY spark related. Usually stuttering and sputtering is involved with a fuel problem when it stalls.

At OP:
I'd replace the ENTIRE distributor and see where you are from there.</TD></TR></TABLE> cowboy bebop is the shitznet. WTF tho mang check ur codes first
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this the right ignitor i dont think it is? doesnt screw into distributor and bracket from the old one doesnt fit on it

the old one

the new one

Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you work at a liquor store lol?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AdamB18C1EK)

yeah i do actually haha i was thinking someone would see that