Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car won't start. Odor of fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start. Odor of fuel.

i actually have about the same problem..98 civic lx automatic.its my beat around..has 216,000 miles...after it has been ran for 5minutes or more and has warmed up to operating temp. it wont start..i went to a salvage yard...swapped the kickpanel ECU..and the main power relay...the only CEL's it has is for o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1..and coolant temp high input/output..im getting fire..i can smell raw fuel..and i can hear the ecu click on the right after that i hear the Main power relay kick on...but still wont start..sometimes for hours.i put a new distributor cap and rotor on it a while back b/c of the TDC sensor code..it has new NGK plugs..and compression is 150'ish psi on all cylinder's.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car won't start after Main relay Kill switch Install

Originally Posted by mechanic88
i actually have about the same problem..98 civic lx automatic.its my beat around..has 216,000 miles...after it has been ran for 5minutes or more and has warmed up to operating temp. it wont start..i went to a salvage yard...swapped the kickpanel ECU..and the main power relay...the only CEL's it has is for o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1..and coolant temp high input/output..im getting fire..i can smell raw fuel..and i can hear the ecu click on the right after that i hear the Main power relay kick on...but still wont start..sometimes for hours.i put a new distributor cap and rotor on it a while back b/c of the TDC sensor code..it has new NGK plugs..and compression is 150'ish psi on all cylinder's.
Did you check the grounds? I would check and clean all of them.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:57 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

and coolant temp high input/output..im getting fire..i can smell raw fuel
Your ECT sensor is not working, it is indicating a cold engine to ECU/ECM, [even though engine is warm, "running temperature"] ECU/ECM has A/F ratio RICH, [for starting cold engine] engine is flooding, "i can smell raw fuel".

Make sure ECT sensor is properly wired/connected to ECU/ECM.
Test or replace the ECT sensor with a new or known working one.

Pretty good bet a new ECT sensor will fix your problem, got to eliminate it as the possible problem anyway. 94

PS You should have searched first, [been covered more then once] and started your own tread, symptoms are "actually" not the same as the OPs.

Last edited by fcm; 10-10-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: add PS
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Trial User

i just started this forum account...thanks for the info but i do not have the time to spend on a computer.and fyi it wont let me start a post for the first 15 days..or before i post 5 responses on other post..but yeah thanks for you input i guess.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Trial User

mechanic88, welcome to Honda-Tech!
We hope you enjoy the site. Please note that you are currently a trial user and you will not be able to start threads in either the appearance sections or the marketplace sections of the site. As soon as you have 5 posts and have been a member for 15days, you will have this ability.
If you see this notice and you have exceded the 5 post and 15 day prerequisite, please wait up to 1 hour for the software to catch up.... there you go you should have researched it before you make smart remarks
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Trial User

thats the problem with all of these forum's ..you get on here and ask for help or somebody's input on a problem and you get nothing but smart asses.honestly i would rather spend the extra 2-3 hours trying to figure out the problem then get on these forums b/c its always the same people that give you some usefull info then make smart remarks right after and really its not even worth it..
Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mechanic88, welcome to Honda-Tech!
We hope you enjoy the site. Please note that you are currently a trial user and you will not be able to start threads in either the appearance sections or the marketplace sections of the site. As soon as you have 5 posts and have been a member for 15days, you will have this ability.
If you see this notice and you have exceded the 5 post and 15 day prerequisite, please wait up to 1 hour for the software to catch up.... there you go you should have researched it before you make smart remarks
You could have posted in the tech center, which is really where this belonged.

But I agree with you, sometimes forums are frustrating but the advice is free and there is plenty of it. And from what I've seen, FCM is brilliant and is likely just annoyed at someone posting without reading the forum rules, searching for an answer and hijacking a thread.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Trial User

i thanked him for the info..but seriously how did me posting on this thread affect him in any way..i mean the info was good but i really dont understand why everybody that has some descent info has to be such a smart ***..i mean im sorry i have a job and a wife and a life that i like to live instead of spending hours on some stupid forum looking through the thousands of threads..but not everybody has that much free time..i would rather not even get a response as to getting one and having some smart *** in it..i dont even comprehend how you can hijack a thread..i mean its a public post..i stole or took over nothing..i just asked a question..honestly this is a really disappointing how serious people take a stupid site i mean give your knowlege and input on the problem an STFU...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i thanked him for the info..but seriously how did me posting on this thread affect him in any way..i mean the info was good but i really dont understand why everybody that has some descent info has to be such a smart ***..i mean im sorry i have a job and a wife and a life that i like to live instead of spending hours on some stupid forum looking through the thousands of threads..but not everybody has that much free time..i would rather not even get a response as to getting one and having some smart *** in it..i dont even comprehend how you can hijack a thread..i mean its a public post..i stole or took over nothing..i just asked a question..honestly this is a really disappointing how serious people take a stupid site i mean give your knowlege and input on the problem an STFU...
Why should we share our knowledge with you at all? This is a free site. If you don't want to follow our rules or listen to us complain when you DON'T follow our rules, you shouldn't be posting. Simple as that.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:25 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Lets see...
I gave you what is most likely the answer to your problem, I did this because you are new and I know you can't post until you have 5 posts.

I reminded you of the rules, [we have them for a reason] without flaming you.

I should just spoon feed you the info you want, because your to busy to search, but you would rather spend "the extra 2-3 hours" figuring it out yourself then have anybody give any "smart remarks".

So which is it, you do not have the time or you have 2-3 hours?

So you would rather not be here, unless you get what you want, when you want it, without any criticism of any kind or we are smart-asses and we should STFU.

Well that should not be a problem, we can move you right up to the front of the **** list, no 5 post wait, no 15 days, you don't even have to ask, [we know how busy you are] your already there, you ungrateful ****.

BTW your welcome. 94
Old 10-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Trial User

i said i do not have time to sit on a computer and did it harm you or anybody you know that i asked a question on this post?..i surely to god hope not..so my point is....if it didnt harm you why are you so worried about it?..i thanked you for your info..idk how i am the ungratefull ****..i said "thank you"..not "**** you"..there's a really big difference..you seemed to take offense when i made the smart remark about the rules of the whole 15 days and 5 post thing..and you pitch a fit over it and start calling me an ungratefull ****..hmmmm..its seriously a shame when you cannot get on a forum without hearing all this b/s..ITS A WEBSITE NOT HIGH SCHOOL!!!..why cant it just be drama and **** talk free?..it doesnt take a man to type smart remarks or call somebody something on the internet.. it just goe's to show there are still cowards who hide behind a computer screen to run there mouth to people...i am new on here and i came here for help..not for somebody who has converted a forum to there religion and takes everything soo serious and to such an extreme level..i mean seriously grow up..idk who you are or how old you are but c'mon, this b/s is ridiculous
i never asked for a handout on anything.i asked for help on a problem.. oh and by the way i traced some wires back and had a ground loose..
Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Trial User

PS You should have searched first, [been covered more then once] and started your own tread, symptoms are "actually" not the same as the OPs.

why couldnt this smart remark be left out?..did it make you feel better about yourself or superior over me b/c you said it?
Old 10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Trial User

and joeshmo it was a ground that was nearly broke into thanks for the input
Old 10-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Car won't start. Odor of fuel.

Hmm I would have thought the ECT. I had same symptom and replaced a broken wire to the ECT and haven't had the issue since. However the broken wire did throw a CEL occasionally which is what led me to the problem/solution.

I could see a bad ground causing similiar problems.

Also, lighten up Francis.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
fcm
Old Fart

i said i do not have time to sit on a computer and did it harm you or anybody you know that i asked a question on this post?..i surely to god hope not..so my point is....if it didnt harm you why are you so worried about it?..i thanked you for your info..idk how i am the ungratefull ****..i said "thank you"..not "**** you"..there's a really big difference..you seemed to take offense when i made the smart remark about the rules of the whole 15 days and 5 post thing..and you pitch a fit over it and start calling me an ungratefull ****..hmmmm..its seriously a shame when you cannot get on a forum without hearing all this b/s..ITS A WEBSITE NOT HIGH SCHOOL!!!..why cant it just be drama and **** talk free?..it doesnt take a man to type smart remarks or call somebody something on the internet.. it just goe's to show there are still cowards who hide behind a computer screen to run there mouth to people...i am new on here and i came here for help..not for somebody who has converted a forum to there religion and takes everything soo serious and to such an extreme level..i mean seriously grow up..idk who you are or how old you are but c'mon, this b/s is ridiculous
i never asked for a handout on anything.i asked for help on a problem.. oh and by the way i traced some wires back and had a ground loose..
Jeezzzz.... Do you take a breath between rants? nuff said. 94