Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car wont start after rebuild...HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start after rebuild...HELP!!!!

well i had my d16z6 rebuilt (block only) and just got it put in. when i crank it up, it doesnt start and sounds very nasty. it almost starts, but doesnt. i smelled smoke and looked around to check everything. i found that i had forgot to tighten my dizzy all the way down. did that and restarted it. same nasty sound and almost starts, but i looked down on the floor and a dark oily substance was coming out and spilling through my stock header!!! oh yea, no codes were thrown either. i dont have the bottom part bolted up yet, otherwise it wouldve all came through my exhaust. the oil is black but very oily. i think its prolly carbon mixed in with the oil thats spilling out. i checked the oil and theres a shitload of oil in it. also my mechanic who rebuilt it told me to pour a small amount (shotglass amount) of oil down into the spark plug holes before i put them in to give the block more lube just in case. he told me it would smoke like hell for a little while until everything burned off like the extra oil and assembly lube he used. he didnt mention that i would have any problems starting the car though. im so worried cuz it wont start and sounds like ****. im also scared of screwing something up while trying to start it. im thinking that maybe i poured too much oil down the holes and maybe it wont start becuz its flooding the plugs right now. would anything else get screwed up and damaged becuz of this?? im unsure wat to do so im gonna let it sit tonight and maybe the rest of the oil will drip in and get back down to the oil pan. im gonna try to start it tomorrow after i get home. has anyone ever had a problem like this??? help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 04:44 AM

Default Re: car wont start after rebuild...HELP!!!! (boostin4drcivic)

I doubt the oil will drip back into the oil pan, I thought thats the reason for oil control rings, so no oil will make it into the combustion chamber, well not "no" oil but a very little amount. You should talk to your mechanic again
Old 12-11-2003, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car wont start after rebuild...HELP!!!! (boostin4drcivic)

yeah if you poured a shotglass worth of oil into your cylinders that would explain the oil coming out of your header. I would also check your timing to make sure its timed right.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, make sure you have the right plug wires going to the right cylinder...sounds like you just might not be firing in the right order.....
Old 12-11-2003, 05:49 AM

Default Re: (SLATER97EX)

we did the timing properly and lined everything up to TDC. i think it just sounds flooded. so what should i do to unflood it?? so will having this oil up there and pouring out, will it damage anything besides just screwing up the plugs???? please help cuz im so worried right now that i may have damaged other stuff by pouring this oil in the cylinders. H-E-L-P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostin4drcivic)

Fist off, dont pour oil into the cylinders. Thats just stupid. I can't belive he told you to do that. I wonder if he's ever heard of priming the engine first. Get that **** out of there anyway you can before trying to start it again.

Modified by Djaric at 9:50 AM 12/11/2003
Old 12-11-2003, 07:21 AM

Default Re: (Djaric)

how do i get it outta there without taking the motor back apart?? i dont know what to do. i also read another post where somebody elses mechanic told them to do the same thing and that it was an old honda technician trick. the person i read about also had a problem, but it was with water in the combustion chamber. should i do wat he did and just take the plugs out and crank it to let the rest spill out of the header and the spark plug holes then clean the plugs and start it again?? will anything else besides the plugs get screwed up because of the oil being in there??? thats my main concern. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no nothing will be messed up but your car will smoke for a while after it starts up again. you will usually only put oil in the cylinders if youre testing compression just not nearly that much.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:30 AM

Default Re: (monicle)

thanx man, youve helped to calm me down some. i didnt get any sleep last night cuz of this ****. well should i do wat i said to clear it out of the combustion chamber?? thanx in advance
Old 12-11-2003, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Djaric)

actually thats not a stupid thing to do. Many people put a cap full of oil into each cylinder before starting a new engine, and also while doing a compression test, which allows the tester to see if its the rings. A shot glass maybe a bit, i usually use like a cap off a quart of oil. Try turning the crank by hand see if its tight or making that wierd noise. Double check your wires, might be a stupid mistake
Old 12-11-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (doublejz)

yea i thought it was a bit much, but thats what he said to do. i almost did a cap full, but i said **** it, he knows what hes doing. unless he said a shotglass amount for all 4 cylinders together, but im pretty sure he said a shotglass for each individual one. i gotta check with my friend who was there too when he said it. ah well, i guess ill hopefully get it started today. i think the bad noise was from the car trying to ignite with the oil in there. kinda sounded like a diesel, but it never kicked all the way over and run. it was close though, but i didnt wanna keep ******* with it until i checked it out first. could also be becuz header isnt all the way one, just the top half.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

putting the rest of the header on might help, the back pressure might help you out some
Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it'll be okay, my friend did the same thing, after letting it run long enough to get most of the oil out, replace the spark plugs. My instructior at school recommends wd40 sprayed into the spark plug hole as apposed to oil, but anyway, what you did was not bad, just run the engine lightly and get that **** burned outta there and repace spark plugs, and mabey recheck timing and firing order to be %150 sure, and it should be okay.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:41 AM

Default Re: (Broke@$$tuner)

well just as an update, i took the plugs out and cleaned them up. just as i thought, the electrode on the plugs and threads were all soaked in oil. i cleaned them up and cranked the car with them out for a quick second. no extra oil came out on the floor. put the plugs back in nice and clean and cranked it. it fired up on the first crank nice and strong. revved up to like 2 grand tho, but i think its just cuz its the first crank cuz when i took the motor out, i didnt screw with the adjusting nut on the throttle cable. i only ran it for like 5 seconds tho...since the bottom half of the header isnt on, mass ****** smoke came out and filled the garage that quick. had to open up the other door to get the breeze to blow it outta there....it filled up the cul de sac i live on. oh well, thanx guys for all your input.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's good to hear!

I'm glad you got it started, I know how frustrating it can be when you can't figure out what's wrong with your car. I'm the same way, I will think about it 24 hours a day until I get it fixed!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (koreanwilcox)

Yeah, isn't it amazing how oil fouled plugs don't like to run!

I had a jet ski that a friend sunk. We soaked the motor in oil for a while and then started it. Did the same thing, didn't want to run at first, and when it did, it ran like ****, barely putting along at full throttle, smoke just pouring out the exhaust. Slowly started to run better and better as the oil burned out.

Think we smoked out the whole neighborhood with that one!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: chillin in that city called queen creek, but homes the atl
Default Re: (Marauder)

good to hear that u got it started but hurry up and put the bottom half of the header on u can burn valves running the motor like that
Old 12-12-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (streetdreams02)

yea ill get the bottom half on. i only ran it for like 5 or so seconds like that just to make sure it would crank up. besides, its so much smoke coming out it would kill me if i left it like that. cant wait to get it running for a while. gotta get some bigger nuts for the bottom half cuz i put a dx stock header on and the studs are bigger than a ex's stock header and i dont have any more extra hardware to fit cuz i put it all with the turbo kit i just sold.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:49 PM

aight, got the hardware and got the bottom half of the header on. cranked it and it was loud as hell still. i think its becuz i didnt have the o2 sensor put in so it was leaking threw there. i have no CEL's after running her for about 10mins idling. my only prob is that i have a weird idle. its idling up and down up and down. my beater 90 accord does this same kinda idle only when its cold outside. all i do is get it to operating temp and it dissappears. however with my civic, it wouldnt stop even after it came up to operating temp. i was even revving it some to get it heated up a little. after the 10 mins, still no go. help me with this junk idle and im set!!!!! lata
Old 12-14-2003, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it may be the cold idle valve for ur 90, and maybe ur ecu is fuc up for ur civic, it happen to me once
Old 12-15-2003, 05:51 AM

Default Re: (EvilPhu)

ecu is fine. ran fine just a month ago when we swapped in the junk motor i had to yank out and throw in my fresh rebuild. i think it may be the coolant has bubbles in it. i was running out of coolant when i filled it up and it had just started to run outta the bleed screw right when i ran out. i think i need to fill it more to get the bubbles out. gonna try that soon. hopefully that works
Old 12-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

idle problem sounds like a vacuum leak