Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wont Start

After doing some work on my car yesterday, it's no longer starting. I'll start by giving u a bit of background on my situation. A few days ago i to do some head gasket work on my car since there was combustive gases leaking into the coolant and blue smoke coming from the exhaust. The following day i flushed the whole coolant system through the bottom radiator hose using hot water through a garden hose (with a removed thermostat). I was pretty low on anti-freeze to replace it (big mistake) and had to wait til my dad got home to get some fresh coolant, so the replacing coolant mixture was a bit diluted than it should have been. [Before i continue, i do realize now how neglectful it was to leave such a mixture in my cooling system as the anti-freeze itself protects my engine.] By the time i could get the fresh coolant, the mixture in my car had already partially froze up (of course). So i had to again flush it out using warm water and a garden hose. After replacing the new thermostat and coolant i started the car to make sure my neglect didn't lead to further damage inside my engine (Thankfully at the time it would seem i didn't). The car did start, (though a bit hesitant) and there was no longer blue smoke from the tail pipe. Also there was no more gases or added pressure into my cooling system. I figured i'd let the car run some to make sure there was no more overheating and then came the problems.

After the car warmed up it began to idle roughly. Revving it/giving it some gas
smoothed the idle out for a few minutes then it would return. Letting it idle like this for a few minutes, the car then would shut off/stall. Would start again fine and then when taking out of park, it would also shut off/stall. Again, would start up with no problems (accept the slight hesitation). I then revved the engine (pretty much floored it) and placed it in reverse, voila it worked. At this point i figured i'd test drive it while it's cooperating with me and found another problem; The car accelerates poorly. Hitting the gas, the car would accelerate really slow from a stopped position then after 3-4 seconds it would accelerate as it would normally. After the drive i parked it and called it a night. Wake up today to pick up where i left off and now the car doesn't start. It cranks, and turns over but never fully starts. Any ideas?

Things recently replaced/serviced: Head gasket, Spark plug wires, Radiator, Cooling fan, Fan switch(on the thermostat housing)& Thermostat.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car Wont Start

Check the plugs again. Think they're fouled
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks bro, i'll check it out in the a.m.... I was also thinking the problem could lie with my air filter... I mean i did get some water on it flushing with the garden hose
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

U were right... Woke today changed the air filter and took a look at the spark wires, has some moisture that got under the boot. Took them off and dried them and the car started right up. I think the ice probably did some damage tho as there's now the occasional heavy blue smoke symptom that's back and muddy oil... I never did a oil change after the gasket job so not sure if the muddy oil is something new. The car doesnt overheat or atleast it didnt during the test drive (about 4 miles @ operating temp.)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Default Small coolant leak

I started to smell coolant and I saw this small leak behind the engine. What could it be?
It looks like its coming out by a sensor