Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car wont move- Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont move- Transmission?

Okay...so i got a new axle installed about a week ago.

Today im driving to work and put it in 3rd, all of a sudden the car wont move with throttle. The car will enter a gear, the revs and speed will rise, but the car wont move.

Theres about 140k on the clutch, but if it were the clutch the speed wouldnt rise due to the fact that the VSS is in the tranny, right? Im trying to think of what else it could be.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car wont move- Transmission?

Weird, and grinding noise, smell etc.....?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no noise that i noticed, no smell

i got under the car and the axle is separated from the tranny at least a bit and fluid leaked out all over the place.

is this more likely a bad axle or an install error? I dont really even see how this could happen
Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i would say so. the diff in the tranny must be spinning to move the speed sensor. So i would have to say check your axles it could be installed wrong.My bro did the same thing once and if i remember he had the same problem.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah either installed wrong and the circlip didnt seat all the way, or the axel you bought was too short.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by cpl rampage
yeah either installed wrong and the circlip didnt seat all the way, or the axel you bought was too short.
what he said if that secure pin doesnt go all the way in and secure it will come out the axle may look like its in there but its not all the way its just ur right side just take the tire off and the ball joint (upper) to get the axle out of the arm and slam it agaisnt the tranny to get it all the way in there ur clutch should be fine if it goes into gear trust me had this happened to be a year ago hehe im learning mechanics on my own by trial and error my car is my project :D
Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont even need to take anything apart. Just push the ****er back in until the axle all the way in. Even when you think its in give it one more good shove.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Installation error.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good. Thanks everyone. The guy that fixed it is on his way right now to fix it (since i have no tools at the moment). Is there any chance of differential damage (the splines in particular) due to this?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Longchamp
Sounds good. Thanks everyone. The guy that fixed it is on his way right now to fix it (since i have no tools at the moment). Is there any chance of differential damage (the splines in particular) due to this?
i wouldnt think so the only thing that that happened is that it poped out ur tranny was just moving but there was nothing to move if u get what i mean i was just saying to take out the upper ball joint so u can get a better grip at the cv and smack it in then try to pull it out it should pull out easy, if it does then its not installed right
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM
New User

I have a question. My tranny is being replaced at the dealership and they suggest I replace the Rear Main Seal also, what do you all think?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dave1mcfly:

the best way to get an answer for your question would be to start a new thread, but if its not leaking then you don't have to replace it, but if it is i would say yes because you have to take out the transmission and flywheel to replace it.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Vietnamese!

Originally Posted by dave1mcfly
I have a question. My tranny is being replaced at the dealership and they suggest I replace the Rear Main Seal also, what do you all think?
Yes.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dave1mcfly:

the best way to get an answer for your question would be to start a new thread, but if its not leaking then you don't have to replace it, but if it is i would say yes because you have to take out the transmission and flywheel to replace it.
leaking or not i still would replace it. You have the tranny out and for a few dollar more for a seal i would replace that sucker.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

To pop an axle back in on the side of the road you can use about a 4 foot piece of 2x4 or something similar to pry on the shock tower to pop the axle back into place, don't ask me how I know this.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:19 PM

i agree clip or axle is short... only one way to really find out take it apart
Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay...so the guy who did the install came out and hammered it back in and the car drove fine....

downside.. its 2 days later and when im in neutral i can see the tach flipping out a bit (going up and down randomly independent of engine speed) indicating to me that the VSS is going nuts the same way it did before out the first time. Is it possible he just didnt push it in far enough AGAIN? Or could the axle falling out have screwed something up somehow? Maybe the axle is short, but he compared it with the old one so im not sure.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay...so the guy who did the install came out and hammered it back in and the car drove fine....

downside.. its 2 days later and when im in neutral i can see the tach flipping out a bit (going up and down randomly independent of engine speed) indicating to me that the VSS is going nuts the same way it did before out the first time. Is it possible he just didnt push it in far enough AGAIN? Or could the axle falling out have screwed something up somehow? Maybe the axle is short, but he compared it with the old one so im not sure.
the vss doesnt control the tach...do you mean the speedo??
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, it was the tach. It was definitely bouncing around, or seemed to be, independently of engine speed. It was the same thing it did after the first time the axle was installed right before it came out.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, it was the tach. It was definitely bouncing around, or seemed to be, independently of engine speed. It was the same thing it did after the first time the axle was installed right before it came out.

hmmm the vss isnt connected to the tach..only the speedo. so say your at idle and the tach is just bouncing around all over the place??
Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
hmmm the vss isnt connected to the tach..only the speedo. so say your at idle and the tach is just bouncing around all over the place??
Yeah, basically. it was going between 0-1500rpms. Maybe its bad wiring somewhere but it seems weird that it didnt start until after this axle install
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, update.... the axle i bought was about an inch too short, so i think thats why.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats proly the culprit...either its a lil short or the lil clip is gone. that still doesnt really explain the tach goin nuts tho. hmmm guess youll have to replace that axle and see if it goes away somehow