Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car stalls, CEL Code 20, Limp mode. . . SEARCHED

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car stalls, CEL Code 20, Limp mode. . . SEARCHED

Ok. My car had TPS code a little over a week ago, Limp mode, changed TPS, calibrated it, Code and limp mode gone. Now, what happens is after around 30 minutes of driving, the car starts to stall, but I hear clicking noise around the fuse box inside the car, and it stalls with every click, clicks rapidly, but inconsistently. I rev it and sometimes I can save her from fully stalling, ( or so I believe ). Anyways, she does that, and if she dies, I try to start, and it wont start ( turns over normally and everything, just doesn't get going). I got CEL Code 20. . . which is ELD. But the threads I read about ELD related problems said their lights dimmed and the dash etc, I don't have any of those symptoms. Just. . . the click of death with simultaneous stalling. Some of my fuses in the underhood fusebox have some bluestuff around them like when battery terminals get weirded out, but aren't burnt. Anyways, I think I wrote too much. . . can anyone please help? Its a EG2. . thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM

Another detail. . i had a fuel cut off switch, whos' wires where recently getting VERY HOT, and I removed it. . . could that have been causing some type of electrical problem or bad ground?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Well, to keep you guys updated, it all seems to be a Main relay problem, which explains the clicking sound. Apparently Honda Main Relays have crap solders from the factory, and they get what is called. . a dry solder over time. This causes I believe an open circuit, and when it gets hot outside, or after a while of driving around, it starts to interrupt the signal. Solution? removing old solder, and resoldering it. Thanks H-T!