Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car shaking issue help plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 car shaking issue help plz

Alrighty so been having a list of problems with my 94 ex civic 4door but one has been bugging me.. D16z6 Vtec Engine

So when i starte my car it shakes badly for a moment or two then seems to stablelize. but whenever my foot isnt on the gas it has a constant shake that kinda feel like my car is going to shut off but then it stops shaking and repeats this process.. so not to sure where to begin with this i know i need a tune up which im on top of alrdy and i checked the motor mounts which look exceptionally good for the mileage ont he car which is about 225k already.

bought the car bout 5 months ago problems started showing one by one car didnt pass smog so just knocking out problems one by one.
Apprieciate ur comments thx for reading
Old 05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car shaking issue help plz

Possible vaccum leak or you may need to adjust your idle.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had a similar problem with my b16 and the tps sensor was out of calibration so if your check engine light is on you may want to check in to that
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: car shaking issue help plz

okay so been driving my car around trying to find where the shaking is coming from. i notice when i come to stop and let go of the brakes and clutch the car stops shaking but when i put my foot on the brakes the shaking startes again so im leaning towards it being a "Power Brake Booster" issue cause the brakes went out on me while driving to work onece or twice but after tapping the brakes again it started to work.. So let me know what u think.

Ima check out my Idel as well looking into it im not sure if its an issue but when my car is running the rpm sits around 500 Rpm not sure if thats bad but Let me know would appreciate the info and thanks for the recent replies
Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the brake booster is vacuum controlled so you may just be solving your idle problem as well also check around the booster for brake fluid just to make sure you wont waste a new booster with a leaking master cylinder
Old 05-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the idle issue if its at idle at 500 rpms than thats perfect where it needs to be. on the shaking concern does it vibrates when the brakes are applied? if it does then it sounds like your brake rotors/drums are warped.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: car shaking issue help plz

ya checked out the rotors looks like they been done.. and looks like i may need a new hub assembly as well think that sounds about right?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you said that

"So when i starte my car it shakes badly for a moment or two then seems to stablelize. but whenever my foot isnt on the gas it has a constant shake that kinda feel like my car is going to shut off but then it stops shaking and repeats this process.."

is it when you start the car or when you start driving the cause if it does it without the car moving then its not your hub assembly or your rotors
Old 05-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic-steve-94
you said that

"So when i starte my car it shakes badly for a moment or two then seems to stablelize. but whenever my foot isnt on the gas it has a constant shake that kinda feel like my car is going to shut off but then it stops shaking and repeats this process.."

is it when you start the car or when you start driving the cause if it does it without the car moving then its not your hub assembly or your rotors
ya i dont think the rotors or hub assembly has anything to due with it..
it does it when i starte the car.. if i let it sit itll starte the shaking. lately the shaking has been getting worse (Stronger Shaking).. i was gonna check the spark plugs but the really tighten in there so didnt want to try to pull it out till i buy a new set.. thinking it either a vaccum leak or something in the ignition system..
Also Notice a leak in the radiator it self Think this can be the Issue?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

um has you car been over heating because that would bring up a hell of a lot of more questions you need to get those plugs out and get a compression done on that thing because from what is sounds like you go a bad miss and the fact that its getting worse is not good has the motor ever been rebuild and is your check engine light on

and the vacuum leak thing don't rule out that booster when it starts running like crap clamp the booster line that goes to the intake manifold and if it still runs like **** then its most likely not your booster

Last edited by civic-steve-94; 05-23-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typed something wrong
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Trial User

I'm gonna tag along with this question.

Just recently my wife's 1992 Civic started shaking all the time (idle, running, fast, slow). It causes the exhaust to sound like it's almost coughing. It's not irregular or sporadic, but actually "rhythmic".
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked so see if the engine has developed a miss fire