Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car is randomly freaking out while driving!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car is randomly freaking out while driving!?!?!

this is my girlfriends car..its a 94 EX Auto Coupe

it started the other day while we were driving down the highway.

the car will cut in and out...the speedo and tach go up and down. the ABS light flashes, along with the battery light... if you click it into neutral the car will stall...but then when you turn the key off and crank it back it will be fine for another 30mins or so or until it hits a big bump in the road..

im thinking its a ground wire somewhere. but i've double checked everything i can possibly see

the car does have a stereo system in it, but everything is soldered/heat shrinked. i even pulled the fuse on the power wire, but its still doing the same thing.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: car is randomly freaking out while driving!?!?! (spooncivic1)

Possibly alt. or dist. about to take a **** on you. I would take the alt. to autozone and have it tested for free
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would that cause the car to freak out while driving? the car has like 228k miles on it

the whole car cuts in and out for a few seconds before you have to turn it off and recrank it.

its done this before. but that was because the power wire on the amp had a small wire sticking out and it was touching the ground. but that has since been fixed..and the fuse has been taken out and its still doing it
Old 03-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (spooncivic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Possibly alt. or dist. about to take a **** on you. I would take the alt. to autozone and have it tested for free</TD></TR></TABLE>

And, if that isn't the case, does her car have a capacitor? My friend's gsx instrument cluster and climate control lights would dim when the bass hit hard for an extended period of time. He had a full blown system, though.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if your car is freaking out, check for a Rick james in your intake. You know...super freak....

Anyway, on a more serious note. Double check that all grounds are clean and tight. Can you pull the Cel code? Seems almost like a dying alternator...but they usuially dont fire right back up.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awdgsx96)

ABS light, on a coupe? lost there, but sounds like a fuel problem to me. my old corolla did that, then i changed the fuel filter under the hood, ran like a champ again. my car stalled whenever I pushed on the brakes pretty much, or put her in neutral. g/l anyways.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (y2kferari)

Your alternator is dying. It powers the car when there is load on the engine, that is why you stall everytime you stop.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not everytime i stop

its like a ground wire is touching somewhere, and it shorting out the whole car

i think the battery cables might be loose/corroded. i will have to check tomorrow
Old 03-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not everytime i stop

its like a ground wire is touching somewhere, and it shorting out the whole car

i think the battery cables might be loose/corroded. i will have to check tomorrow</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have the alternator tested at autozone - it's free. Might as well get the battery tested while you're at it.

Then while you have the battery out, use that metal sand paper steel abrasive **** to clean all the corrosion 'n **** off the battery terminals. That **** is great - it'll make 'em sparkle .
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

I'd say it has something to do with having a system that might be too big without a capacitor. If you have all that strain on your alternator it will eventually go out on you. I've seen it happen before on a few VW's.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

my friends 3 gen eclipse did that when his battery was dying
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd say it has something to do with having a system that might be too big without a capacitor. If you have all that strain on your alternator it will eventually go out on you. I've seen it happen before on a few VW's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

nah its been in there for over a year now. never had a problem, until her dad drove it the other day.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 PM

it's your alternator, like a couple others have already stated. i had the same thing happen to me, but didn't know what it was. i found out my 2nd o2 sensor was shorting out and this eventually made the alternator go out. so check for any shorts/grounds in your car that may have happened recently, then replace your alternator because it's on its way out anyway. good luck with that.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 PM
RTI

Could be the main relay. I am not sure if this would cause an ABS light or your tach and speedo to go crazy.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car is randomly freaking out while driving!?!?! (RTI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be the main relay. I am not sure if this would cause an ABS light or your tach and speedo to go crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

think of it this way...when you first start your car. when you put the key in the II and all the cluster lights come on. thats what it does. its like the car resets its self...the clock, radio all reset everytime.

i'm pretty sure its just a ground somewhere
Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 PM

go on consumerguide.com and look up your car.

wen u get there read the whole review. i remember it said that an aftermarket head unit could mess with the whole system. sry i couldnt get the link. consumerguide usually gives an explination for the problem an how to fix it.