Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car only starts sometimes, and starts rough.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car only starts sometimes, and starts rough.

Hey, i have a 92 honda civic, i am having a problem with it, actually like multiple problems.

1. the car only starts sometimes, and when it does, it bounces around looking for a steady rpm to idle at. after a minute or so, it will idle kinda high, like 1000rpm.
2. the car only starts every once in a while. once started, and has a steady idle, it will run really good. until you press the gas.
3. when the car is running, when you press the gas one time when its at idle, 600rpm or so, the car will bog down, but once your over idle speed, it will rev fine, and wont bog.
4. just did a motor swap last week, the motor is the same type and everything. it has no a/c, no power powersteering (has a manual steering rack).
5. i replaced the injectors, fuel pump, and fuel filter thinking any of those woud help, and nope.

I might have worded some of this a little confusing, if so please feel free to ask again. I am at a lose, i have no idea what to do next. Somebody, anybody please help!!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car only starts sometimes, and starts rough.

Clean/fix all electrical grounds (Bolts, Washers, Eyelits) until shiny, don't scrape any paint off, if you see a bare aluminum surface where a ground attaches, scrub until shiny (like thermostat housing, transmission housing, etc.), fix any grounds you may have screwed up, clean up terminals to battery. Clean IACV and throttle body (remove idle screw so clean up air passages in throttle body with q-tip), replace PCV valve and replace any cracked or very hard rubber hoses. After you've done all of this stuff, report back. The next step may be a valve lash adjustment.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did clean all my grounds, i redid them all when i did the swap, that was the first thing i did. I did also clean the pcv valve. I was thinking it would be more electrical if anything. Something preventing the motor from starting. Like maybe something preventing the injectors from firing, or something like a sensor telling the motor not to fire. The fuel pump primes everytime. I have fuel pressure, i know fuel is getting into, and out of, the fuel rail. I know my distributor isnt bad because i have great spark, the motor is all timed correctly. Im so lost on this. But i do not have an o2 sensor. I found the plug, but i dont have one to put on. But if that were the problem, that doesnt solve why the car only starts sometimes. You could have the car running one minute, shut it off, and try to start it up right after that, and it wont start. And it wont start no matter how many times you try. But then it will fire right up randomly when you turn the key. Im soooooo lost its crazy. Im begging for help.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since you did a motor swap and you're working with an older vehicle, assuming what you say is true (maybe take some pics of the grounds you cleaned?), then the next step is to try to go over the wiring harness and look over at the wires plugged into various connectors and just try to push the wires into the connectors a little more and see if the car runs better. The wires in the connectors are held in place by rubber grommets which shrink over time, allowing the wires to be a little loose in their connectors, causing problems. It's entirely possible you've got lots of loose wires in connectors that are plugged into various sensors.

Also I'd assemble the vehicle like as if you're going to drive it to get it smogged instead of just leaving **** off and assuming that it should run. You've probably got some pinched wiring harnesses or loose wiring.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe its possible the starting problem could be ignition switch or coil?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Those are maintenance items. Why weren't they addressed? Is it common practice to swap engines and not do any scheduled maintenance on an unknown piece of hardware? You report ignition problems and don't address the ignition components? What about other things like the MAP sensor and TPS? Did you check to make sure the TPS was calibrated? Ignition/mechanical timing verified?

There are things to check for in no start situations. I don't see where you checked any of them. You just start replacing parts at random.