Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please!

*The History*
So my mom's civic isn't starting or even cranking. My stepdad was driving it and the ground cable for the battery came loose.
So he was telling me that when he was driving it the speedo and the tach were going crazy, jumping up and down and that the dash was lighting up and going off.
He was able to drive the first 2 days but then the car wouldn't start anymore.

*Specifics*
-The ground cable wrapping got melted and the bolt used to ground it is turning whitish blue. At one point it was so loose that it was sparking on the chassis pretty consistently. There is also a hyper grounding cable kit attached to the car and it runs from the battery ground to the tranny to the thermostat.
-The car does not crank, it doesn't even make any noises for the solenoids/relays, the fuel pump doesn't prime. The only noise it makes is a single click from the starter relay.
-All the dash lights turn off when the key is turned and the ABS stays on.

*What I've done so far*
I tried to replace the Ignition switch that connects from the fuse box to the steering column.
I've also replaced the Main relay

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 8:01 AM 5/20/2008
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please! (FuNkDrSpOt)

Is this "hyper grounding" cable the only ground cable that grounds the starter/transmission housing? It probably is a) of poor conductive quality, b) is too long, and/or c) not a sufficient gauge to carry the current to the chassis. Make sure all your grounds are as short as possible and with wire as thick as possible. You can double the wires up if you have doubts (2 wires per grounding point).

It also sounds like your battery is extremely low. Kind of an obvious first step, but did you try jumping it for a start?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please! (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this "hyper grounding" cable the only ground cable that grounds the starter/transmission housing? It probably is a) of poor conductive quality, b) is too long, and/or c) not a sufficient gauge to carry the current to the chassis. Make sure all your grounds are as short as possible and with wire as thick as possible. You can double the wires up if you have doubts (2 wires per grounding point).

It also sounds like your battery is extremely low. Kind of an obvious first step, but did you try jumping it for a start?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I charged my battery up.

The hyper grounding kit is from sunautomobile or whatever company. It's an UPGRADE to a stock grounding so a, b and c are false.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please! (FuNkDrSpOt)

bump
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump. I'm going to try a new grounding cable from the battery to the chassis, just incase it was jacked up. I'm also thinking about trying a new starter kill relay. That relay actually does click but nothing else.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And check your fuses.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump. I'm going to try a new grounding cable from the battery to the chassis, just incase it was jacked up. I'm also thinking about trying a new starter kill relay. That relay actually does click but nothing else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If the battery is well charged, and the starter clicks only once, then your starter is worn and needs to be replaced. The primary solenoid is engaging but isn't making sufficient electrical contact to energize the secondary solenoid. To test this, take the starter out, rotate it by hand a little bit, then reinstall and try it again. There is a good chance it will work but that doesn't mean it's ok. It still needs to be replaced.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please! (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If the battery is well charged, and the starter clicks only once, then your starter is worn and needs to be replaced. The primary solenoid is engaging but isn't making sufficient electrical contact to energize the secondary solenoid. To test this, take the starter out, rotate it by hand a little bit, then reinstall and try it again. There is a good chance it will work but that doesn't mean it's ok. It still needs to be replaced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yay, someone who doesn't give me the "check your fuses" recommendation.

No, it's not the starter itself that is only clicking once, it is the starter kill relay. It's the relay that's up and to the left of the underdash-fusebox.

Also, I have kinda ruled out the starter because my fuel pump and other things don't seem to prime or click.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

does the cel pop on? the car shouldnt start unless the cel comes on and turns off when the key goes into second accesory.

dont forget, theres also a thermostat ground that grounds the ecu/fuel pump.

Modified by speedooo at 2:31 PM 5/21/2008
Old 05-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car not cranking. Lots of help from electrical guru's needed, please! (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the cel pop on? the car shouldnt start unless the cel comes on and turns off when the key goes into second accesory.

dont forget, theres also a thermostat ground that grounds the ecu/fuel pump.

Modified by speedooo at 2:31 PM 5/21/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

so if the spark jumped enough, the ecu or fuel pump could have been killed....nice. I guess I'll try to get my hands on a new ecu then to try out.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wait, what? Where and why would there be electrical arcing?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wait, what? Where and why would there be electrical arcing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know my OP was long but i had stated that the battery had gotten a little loose and it moved the battery ground around to where it wasn't having a constant connection. That battery ground is daisy chained to the transmission and daisy chained to the Thermostat, then again to the block and finally to the drivers side of the car.