Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok

so i'm going down this hill today, just coasting in 3rd gear. i go to give it a little gas, and the tach just stays put. a few seconds later it stalls out completely so i pulled off the road. i tried starting it, but it wouldn't turn over. i popped the hood and didn't see anything unusual. i called a tow truck (took about 5 minutes), then tried starting it. it took a little while but eventually it turned over, and it ran fine the whole way home.

i'm suspecting fuel delivery, because when i got on the throttle nothing happened. i had about 1/2 tank of gas so starvation is not possible. i just did the timing belt a week ago, is it possible that it's off or jumped? but why would it run fine 5 minutes later? the battery light was on when it wouldn't start so maybe it's electrical??

anybody know wtf is going on here and what i should check?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (The Internet Tough Guy)

my guess would be its your fuel filter, how often has this happened
Old 05-15-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (93ejay1)

i replaced the fuel filter last summer for no reason. so i don't think it's that. thanks for replying though .. i'm stumped here.

the car has stalled on me before when moving. i think it's happened twice before, but it fired right up immediately after.

i'm leaning toward electrical something since it's so intermittent. perhaps the main relay or the wiring of the fuel pump?

it seems like i'm getting shitty gas mileage and the car has lost a little power too, so maybe the timings off? but then i tell myself that's just in my head and it's fine. i'm not sure what's going on and i'm in no mood to go out and fix this car right now. perhaps a few drinks will fix that
Old 05-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (The Internet Tough Guy)

Could be an ignition failure. The ignitors are notorious for just giving out w/o notice and at other times slowly/intermitently die. Next time it happens, have a plug wrench handy to pull a plug so you can see if you're getting spark when it doesn't start.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (kkim)

that sounds interesting. i'll pull the distributor cap off and have a look. maybe spray some electrical cleaner in there too. the car is a 96 with 90k .. i've replaced the cap / rotor, plugs, wires at 60k and i think i just put new plugs in it not too long ago.

i'm gonna check the timing tommorow and hope it goes away.

hmmm
Old 05-15-2005, 07:49 PM

well it's not starting now. i'm gonna check the spark and everything else tommorow. i hope i don't have to buy a new dizzy or something expensive. anybody else have any idea what happened?

this sucks ... i'm out of beer and i can't go get more
Old 05-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The same exact thing happened to me too.. I was jury duty and my car completely shut up and wouldn't turn over. So I bought a new battery and it worked just fine afterwards up untill now..
Old 05-15-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (E-Jayin')

really? the battery is 9 years old, maybe it's time for a new one. hmm how long ago did that happen to you?

but the car cranks good, the headlights aren't dim, radio works loud etc etc. so i think it's ok. but i will check into that.

thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 09:03 PM

dont forget the good old Honda main relay issue
Old 05-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW 9 years you had your batterie...... **** that is a long time. Check the amps on it, if they are low just replace the batterie!!!!!!

Dave
Old 05-15-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (93SiVtec677)

cool i will do that. where is the main relay in a 96? i've heard it's on the passenger side, but i've heard it's on the drivers side too??

i've been searching here and i think i've got a pretty good plan for trouble shooting this bitch. i just need to learn how to work this multimeter thing. i suck at wiring and electrical stuff.

also one thing i did do was i hosed my engine bay down about 2 weeks ago. i didn't cover anything i think i might regret that but well see what happens tommorow.

hopefully it's just a blown fuse or something and i can get away from this without having to spend 200 bucks on a new dizzy or some BS like that
Old 05-15-2005, 10:34 PM

ok i just went out and tried starting it and i didn't hear the fuel pump prime!!! but i heard the main relay click. i used to have a cutoff switch wired in there, i think maybe the connection i did back there **** the bed.

is there any way to check for fuel without buying a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 AM

check n see if ur fuel rail has a "purge" ( release valve) on the end! or just take the line off that goes to ur fuel rail,
Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: (DelSol-B-18)

I had a similer problem, turned out to be a loose wire on the altenator (I knew to check this cause I just replaced it). So check that, and possibly the alternator itself. Also check the distributor cap and rotor.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no the alternator wont cause the car not to start i have drivin a honda without an alternator in it at all. i have had my car just die on me before but it never started back up and it was the coil ( wich is about 50-70 bucks ).

check your fuel pump by either removing the return line from the fuel pressure regulator or actually just loosen the bolt on top of the fuel filter on any hose it doesnt matter have a friend go in your car and turn the key to the run position and see if any fuel is coming out.

if you have fuel then check for spark. also the fuses for the ignition and ecu are all right in front of the batter. check those hope that helps man i hate not being able to drive the hatch
Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (kkim)

Main Relay
Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: car dies, won't start .. 5 minutes later everythings ok (greebler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greebler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE>

don't say that

thanks for all your replies

i'm gonna go have a look now .......
Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greebler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Main Relay</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think its the main relay also
my car was doin same thing last month & then finally it wouldnt start at all
found out it was main relay

dont cry its not expensive & u can change it urselve just plugs in
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a bad Main Relay to me also.

Both of my Crx's had the same problems, and it turned out that was the culprit in both cases.