Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car cranks/compression/spark but NO START after tranny swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: Car starts w/ stock ECU, Problem in ECU/Harness/MAP/Ostrich Insight needed!

99 civic, p28 ostrich -> crome.

I just put in a new tranny. I painted it first and sanded the main tranny ground to new metal.

The car cranks, everything seems to have power, it even gets a little bit of combustion but it is running kind of like the ignition timing has no idea whats going on. I'm throwing code 4 for CKP every time if I crank it over a 5 times or so, sometimes if I crank it longer it will throw some other random codes like ECT/TPS/IAT and some other stuff that appears to be on the same harness arm. The codes are thrown randomly, and with no consistency, but code 4 comes up every time.

I'm using a resistor pack so I dont want to put my stock injectors back in and see if it will start w/ stock ecu, but I will do that today if the problem isn't solved by then.

Earlier that day when trying to start a friends car for the first time, he burned one of my ECU's. I have two, and my car fails to start exactly the same with both ecu's. I only have access to my friends DOA ostrich and mine, so I don't know how to figure out what the problem is without removing my resistor pack and going back to the stock ECU... which is the plan for tomorrow. (today?)

I also relocated my map sensor (by unziptieing it and re-zip tying it. Yes I know don't let the 3bar viabrate and mount it vertical it's fairly well mouned and none of the wires were damaged.) Also I would figure the car might want to throw a MAP code for something like that.

Modified by Si Shane at 1:41 PM 6/12/2007

Modified by Si Shane at 3:13 PM 6/15/2007
Old 06-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Car cranks/compression/spark but NO START after tranny swap. (Si Shane)

Are all your grounds connected? Like the one to the tranny and T-stat in particular.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Car cranks/compression/spark but NO START after tranny swap. (RedEj8)

tstat-ecu and tranny-chassis grounds are in place. In my writeup I explained that I even ground the metal down for fresh contacts.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Car cranks/compression/spark but NO START after tranny swap. (Si Shane)

Time finally permitted and I wired up some obdII clips for saturated, stock injectors. If there any electricians present- I tapped into the ground signal that heads to the resistor pack for each obdII ground, and tapped the obdI clips for power right at the clip. So now I have two sets of clips, but I'm only guessing the dead clips wont affect anything.

So the car starts right up.

Thus the problem is either:
1) My map sensor (the connection or sensor could have been damaged when moved)
2) My conversion harness (could have been damaged during the bagillionth ecu pulling)
3) My ecu (was fried, but the problem is the same with a different ecu)
4) My ostrich (was connected to the ecu when it fried)

Knowing I get code 4 (CKP) every time and a number of other codes like IAT/ECT/TPS appear randomly if I continue to crank the motor, what could the problem be?