Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Help car won't start after ECU swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help car won't start after ECU swap

here is the situation: I swapped ecu's from od2a to obd1 because i lost the transponder key, but the car won't start its throwing cell 8 what could be the problem. The green light with key symbol is flashing as well. note: I am not using an original transponding key for the ignition.... my car is 97 prelude w/immobilizer, but i just did the swap to obd1 so it shouldn't matter if i use a transponder key right?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help car won't start after ECU swap (97preludetypeblk)

Code 8? That's odd, that's ur top dead center sensor, Does the car crank? Or does It crank and just not start, cause I don't think it will start with the code 8 (TDC). I don't know everything about the immobilizer, but I believe it's in the igniton, and not the ecu, so swapping ecu's would have no affect. There was a really intersting post the other day on situations just like this. Depending on ur Vin #, u can start the car by a combination of pulling the E-brake and turning the ignition to on, then off. U have to call a Honda dealership to get the correct sequence for ur car I believe. Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask for more help.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Help car won't start after ECU swap (JasonST)

it doesn't make any noise when i turn the key it just gives me the check code it is completely silent no cranking noise at all could it be the immobilizer ? because i'm not using the transponder key?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:06 PM

i'm not using the gray or red or black key, this key only goes into the ignition and turns it radio and lights come on but i can't get it to start even after an ecu swap? could it be that i need to switch distributors? because they are different ecu's?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok it's making sense now. In an obd1 exu the TDC sensor is in the dizzy and in an obd2 car the TDC is in the engine I'm pretty sure. So the ecu can't find it, and without it, it won't start. But the problem that it's not cranking I think is the immobilizer. To plug the ecu in u used a convesion harness right? Even with the cel i think the engine would still crank. I think it's the immobilizer. I would call Honda, I guess u can start ur car only by pumping the e brake and turning the ignition on and off in a certain sequence, depenping on ur vin #, just in case things happened like this. There was a thread on this a few days ago, something about Stolen cars, which lead to the web page that described it. Try looking for it. Anyways, hopes this helps, and maybe somone with more experience with immobilizers will chime in. Bump!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Help car won't start after ECU swap (JasonST)

Thanks alot for the help i don't think i can start the car to begin with because of the code 8.. I think there is a possibility that the obd2 and obd1 dizzy's are different and incompatible with the ecu's, so that is why it is throwing that code i might need to switch my dizzy and for the immobilizer since i am not using the transponder key i think it doesn't turn the ignition or even at least crank over as well. thanks for your help ...
Old 08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This might sound stupid but have you check Fuse? do you have an alarm? just asking because maybe a fuse blew or you had a little power surge and your alarm messed up.

I always thought OBD1 and OBD2 TDC sensor are in the dizzy. reason being is because my girlfirend had a 97 civic ex and she got a TDC code so we changed the Crank Angle sensor it clear the code but car was in limp mod still couldnt rev past 4.5k rpm then I change the Dizzy and its all fix.

Maybe check your ECU open it up see if the circuit board is clean and not oxide or is damage. this might sound stupid to but you are runing a Manual ECU right?