Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away - Honda-Tech

Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

Hello all,
Reason asking with mine a B16A2 in a 95 Civic, I put the key in turn to crank and car doesn't start. I do it again and same thing happens, After the third time cranking the car, it final would start. What is causing this issue, as i am not seeing any error codes?
CCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

tamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car cranks, but doesnt start right away. Does your b16 start right away

Do you usually wait until CEL turns off with key in second postion to start engine (3rd position)...this allows enough time for fuel to prime.
Last time (mileage/year) fuel filter replaced? Fuel pump/pressure could be getting weak (less than spec).
Check spark quality: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...blems-2919450/ and Part 1 -How to Troubleshoot a No Start (1.6L Honda Civic) (although your's isn't a no-start..still good for spark quality)
Jimi Hondrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member

Check compression.

If you have not done so in the last two years, or don't know the history, replace spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter and inspect the fuel pressure along with inspecting the condition of the fuel pump strainer.

A new battery, if older than 4/5 years will also come in handy.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
replace spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor,.
OP: Do not spend money in that way without checking spark condition first. Thread after thread in which people rush to this conclusion, buy those parts, and changes absolutley nothing.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix View Post
OP: Do not spend money in that way without checking spark condition first. Thread after thread in which people rush to this conclusion, buy those parts, and changes absolutley nothing.
A decent set of plugs/wires/cap/rotor will set you back -$75. Peace of mind if you don't know the history of the engine and/or haven't done them in awhile.

​​​​​
Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Honda-Tech Member

I gotta agree with joey. I'm so **** on my maintainance I change my plugs every 10k miles tbh and change the oil when i think it's too black lol. **** I don't think my car will never not start ha.

But OPs problem sounds like the main relay. When you're trying to start the car how long does it take to finally start about 10-20 mins?
White_EG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_EG1 View Post
I gotta agree with joey. I'm so **** on my maintainance I change my plugs every 10k miles tbh and change the oil when i think it's too black lol. **** I don't think my car will never not start ha.

But OPs problem sounds like the main relay. When you're trying to start the car how long does it take to finally start about 10-20 mins?
From my understanding of the description is that the key is turned to the crank/start position three different times before the engine runs. OP?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey1320 View Post
A decent set of plugs/wires/cap/rotor will set you back -$75. Peace of mind if you don't know the history of the engine and/or haven't done them in awhile.​​​​​
Spark is spark and if it's good an engine doesn't recognize the difference between and old and new related part as long as the spark quality is the same,
Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Spark is spark and if it's good an engine doesn't recognize the difference between and old and new related part as long as the spark quality is the same,
That's true. But think about this Jimi, you just got a new car and it's having the problems OPs having. They can be getting the brightest spark but if it's a old item it's probably on its last leg, hence new used car who knows when the **** the op last did them. Replacing the plugs/cap/rotor now will prevent them from failing in the future. Where as keeping them in there you never know when you'll get no spark again cause your probably factory coil just took a ****. See what I'm saying?
White_EG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_EG1 View Post
That's true. But think about this Jimi, you just got a new car and it's having the problems OPs having. They can be getting the brightest spark but if it's a old item it's probably on its last leg, hence new used car who knows when the **** the op last did them. Replacing the plugs/cap/rotor now will prevent them from failing in the future. Where as keeping them in there you never know when you'll get no spark again cause your probably factory coil just took a ****. See what I'm saying?
Go ahead and spend your money first..I'd rather test first. How can you predict (guess) a "potential" part failure? Does that mean you'd replace every part on the engine before it fails?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Go ahead and spend your money first..I'd rather test first. How can you predict (guess) a "potential" part failure? Does that mean you'd replace every part on the engine before it fails?
No, you replace simple and inexpensive maintenance/wear items.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member

when i originally read this i assumed the usual i run into with remote starts.

i put on a 10 second delay from the the time ignition is turned on (to allow fuel pump to prime) and then set it to .8 or 1 sec crank on the starter on all Honda.

my personal vehicles I've always ran tach to the dizzy. I average between 0.8 - 1.4 seconds of crank before it fires.

long story short every Honda we do needs this type of setup because the don't start immediately like domestic cars. otherwise we get customers coming back with their Honda complaining it didn't remote start the first time.

but if your cranking past two seconds after letting the cel light go out there is something wrong.
Badcopyinc is offline   Reply With Quote