Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car aint starting, first time since 92 :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car aint starting, first time since 92 :)

heres the lowdown.
about a month ago, my car started acting funny to start. id be driving and get somewhere, turn it off. then do something come back and it would start, but bog out almost imediately (giving it gas didnt help)
so itd take about 2 or 3 restarts before it started. once started it would run completely fine.

now, yesterday. i was driving the car around, was driving fine havent had a bad start in a week or so. i get home, turn the car off, go inside dink around for an hour or so.
come outside to go get some smokes at the store, low and behold the car wont start.

its a 93 si hatch, so the first thing i thought of was a bad main assy relay. i resoldered the thing and it still aint working. the fuel pump did not come on like normal.

after researching a little, i decided to jumper the relay connector. YAY i hear the fuel pump. go to start, still nothing.

now, my car normally throws a map sensor cel and a o2 heater cel, but for the life of me i cant get my cel to show up anymore. i checked my backup fuse and noticed it was 10A instead of the called for 7.5A. swapped that out. checked the ecu fuse, sure enough its blow (15A). replaced it, jumped the connector again, still no start.

now, i checked for spark yesterday (taking the spark plug wire out of the hole and touching it against a bolt) and i didnt see any spark. i also tried taking it off the dizzy and holding it as close to the connector as possible and wasnt getting spark there either. opening up the dizzy i see a small collection of oil near the bottom of the dizzy.

so basically, i know i can get fuel, but spark i need to recheck (gonna pull the spark plug out itself and check that way). but what about my ecu? is there a way to test if the ecu is working?

lemme know any inputs u guys got

UPDATE: so, after tinkering around, i got my cel to comeup. but its only a constant cel. it wont throw codes either if i jump the connector.r, but it atleast its on.
i managed to get the car started, but only for a second. i didnt have the fuel pump on so it stalled out. i turned it on and tried starting it again but its acting just like before.

so now that i get my cel again, it could be my ecu not getting power, my relay is messed (ive determined it is), or my ignition switch (dont believe it is. symptoms dont add up)

anyone got a pinout of the ecu so i can try running 12v right to it?

Modified by Morning Call at 2:30 PM 7/18/2006
Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 PM

well, i got the car started

i decided to try jumping the relay again (jumped pin1/3/7 of the relay connector) and it starts now.

it idles very weird though (rpms jump up about 200rpms every second or so then they go back down). car rides normal aside from that.

i decided to checkout my cel, and i lost 1 and gained 1
used to throw a code5/15
now im throwing 41/15.

weird thing now though is i cant use pin5 (12v ignition) anymore only pin1. musta blown a fuse

Old 07-18-2006, 01:07 PM

Our 93 EX has a wierd starting problem also. Dizzy went bad about a month ago replaced it, car runs now but still has the starting problem.

Randomly the car wont start just turn over like once every 2 weeks this happens. Happened last Sat. Went to work left at 6:20am went to leave at noon and it just turned over without starting. Flagged a co-worker before he left jumped it and it started right up.

I think the battery is getting weak cause of the heat we have been getting in AZ. It seems to mess up when its above 105. Car sat all of Sun and started right up Monday morning.

I did clean all the ground wires last night thogh some were pretty corroded.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reading your first sentence and I'm lead to believe it's the main relay.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 AM

yeah i know for a fact my main relay is bad now.
but even bypassing it it doesnt wanna start all the time
i took it into the store yesterday night forgot to leave it running (force of habbit) came back out and couldnt jump the ecu/fuel pump like i did to get it out. for some reason it has a trick. like when i first took it out i couldnt jump it until i reset the ecu and crap. but now it wont work for the life of me. gotta get it towed back to my house then to the honda dealer. i dont think im gonna let a regular mechanic touch this one, proly end up costing me more money in the end cuz theyll assume **** rather then figure it out.

anyone know how to get a cheap tow? lol
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Morning Call)

something to think about the 93 Si/Ex had a bad run of distributors if it hasn't been replaced yet you also said that you saw oil on the dizzy. Is there also oil on inside the distributor cap? I had the seal go bad on the distributor and it was letting oil get all through it. oil and electric don't play well together
Old 07-19-2006, 03:14 PM

i had that prob with my integra. belive it or not my negative and positive battery cables were bad. just leting you know