Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't start car -long read plz help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't start car -long read plz help

I recentently took the time to paint my engine bay, I removed all components that were connected to the frame and layered news paper on the rest of the engine so it would remain untouched.

I put everything back together and at first I thought my battery didnt have enough juice to start. My exterior lights did turn on, and when I turned the key I can hear the ticking sound you'd normally hear if u have a dead battery.

I didnt have any jumper cables, so I figured Id start the car with another battery, what I thought would be a good idea went wrong, I accidently connected the wrong terminals 2gether and had quite the spark fiasco. Stupid me I kno, I corrected the terminals and sat in the car and when I turned the key nothing happend, not a even the slightestest ticking noise.

I put my old battery in and asked my neighbour to borrow his charger, after charging my battery my car still didnt start. I gave my starter a slight tappin with a hammer and still nothing, I turn the key and no lights go on, no sound no nothing.

I then used a wire to connect one end to my postive termail to my battery and the other end to my starter (where black/white wire goes) the engine turns over but doesnt fully run...like i mean that its got that first startup sound but doesnt ignite. I tried tappin on the gas to see if it needed some gas but nothing, same story inside the car, I turn the key and nothing happens, no clicking no dim lights no nothing.

I checked my fuses and they all look ok, could it be possible i may have over looked one and which ones should i be checking?

I dunno what else to say except my horn works so I know im getting power somewhere, but my interior lights dont turn on when i flick the switch...i just hope i didnt fry anything when i accidently had my terminals wrong....

any help appreciated!
Old 04-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't start car -long read plz help (92DSeries)

anything smell burnt under the dash? The only thing I can really say is to check all the fuses under dash and hood and then start with the continuity checks. never really thought through a scenario like this, wish I could help more...
Old 04-24-2004, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Can't start car -long read plz help (miahmouse)

I would start by checking every single fuse. I mean even crap that isnt even relavant to what your problem is. Check the under dash fuses and the main fuses in the engine bay. I would then move on to checking the main relay under the dash to make sure that thing turns on to prime the fuel pump. Do you even hear the normal "click" noise after you turn your key but dont start? Well it is obvious that you have an electrical problem since you cant even turn on your lights. Make sure you check out your main ingition fuse in the engine compartments fuse box.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Can't start car -long read plz help (turbocivic96)

i'd so what already has been mentioned, get a test light and check all fuses to see if they work
Old 04-24-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbocivic96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would then move on to checking the main relay under the dash to make sure that thing turns on to prime the fuel pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ Would you be able to elabroate on this a little more?

Im going to go check all my fuses now, gonna be a pain but i guess i gotta do what i gotta do

I didnt smell anything burning after the mishap, and no.. the engine does not make any sound whatsoever when i turn the key, no clicks.

Thanks for the replys so far
Old 04-24-2004, 12:34 PM

same thing happened to me a little bit back, 90% sure your main fuse blew, check that first before you goto everything else.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92DSeries &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

^ Would you be able to elabroate on this a little more?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well first off the click noise i am talkign about is the main relay turning itself over. When you turn the key to the furtherest point before cranking you should hear the fuel pump prime and then you should hear the main relay turn over. At the exact point the main relay switches, your CEL goes off. In order for me to help you further in locating your main relay, i need to know what year vehicle you have. Does your gauge cluster even light up like it would normally do? If not then you are definately not getting power to that relay to even turn the pump on. It all starts and the battery and goes through the fuse box so be sure you check and double check your fuses.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry that I havent been able to update my post, ive been busy with work and havnt had much time to get back to the car again.

As of right now, I still can't get anything to go. Same old story, turn the key and dont hear a sound. I checked my fuses under my hood, and under my dash and they all looked ok, I went under my dash and looked at my main relay. After inspecting it and touching up some solder connections I still got nowhere.

I just purchased a helms manual for my 92' civic and upon reading the electrical section ive discovered that not only does my horn work, as do my hazard lights. I havn't really inspected those big black fuses under my hood because I dont tool to see if they work.

Out of curiousity could it be one of these that blew? Theres a 80A fuse listed as the Power Distribution is this like the heart fuse so to speak of all the other main fuses?

Again any help is mostest appriciated
Old 05-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alrite guys, i got it

dumbass me overlooked that 80amp fuse, and i went out to autozone today and bought a new one

thanks for all your help guys

-Jacob