Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can't change my spark plugs after Seafoam session !?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 02:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't change my spark plugs after Seafoam session !?

I'm doin a regular tune up by myself today since my 99 si hit 120k
and I decided to seafoam my ride be4 changin oil
So I just took the spark wires out
put 1.5 tablespoon of seafoam in each of the hole like the link below said
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1502112
"10. If you feel like really getting rid of that carbon, then run seafoam through your spark plug holes."
Problem is does it actually mean I hv to take the wire and the "spark plugs" out be4 I put the seafoam in ?
because afterward I tried to change my spark plugs and I could not take them out at ALL !!
found out there's some rubber seal comin out when I tried to take the plugs out
So I bet I melt some of the rubber seal around the spark plug cylinders underneath the valve cover
Wt should I do?
just replace the rubber seal ?
Anything bad might happen? like those rubber pieces might get to the chamber ?
Help me, giv me a little advice?
Thx.....

Modified by joe.wong321 at 4:19 AM 2/10/2008

Modified by joe.wong321 at 4:40 AM 2/10/2008
Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM

please help....anyone ?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
H-T White Ops

Wait, you pulled your valve cover off to change your spark plugs?
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can't change my spark plugs after Seafoam session !? (joe.wong321)

you need to take your cylinder cover off and replace that seal. You don't want it going anywhere it shouldn't. also, what size are those si rims? I really want them.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
H-T White Ops

What they're talking about whent hey say to run seafoam down your plug holes is just that.

Take out your spark plugs (You need to pull the wires for that obviously) and put some seafoam down those holes so it sits on top of the pistons.
Put the plugs back in (or new ones if you're changing them) hook the wires back up and fire up the car.

The rubber things you're talking about sound like the plug hole gaskets that are under the valve cover. Why you're pulling your valve cover to do this is beyond me. Might as well do a valve adjustment now since you're in there.

But no offense, judging by your apparent lack of technical knowledge I'd say just get a new valve cover gasket set, replace the plug hole gaskets ("melted" rubber things you're talking about), valve cover gasket, and the metal lined grommets/washers that hold the valve cover in place and call it good.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:00 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Can't change my spark plugs after Seafoam session !? (austinkli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austinkli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need to take your cylinder cover off and replace that seal. You don't want it going anywhere it shouldn't. also, what size are those si rims? I really want them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Si rims are 15's and stock use 195/55-15 tires.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt ever put seafoam into the spark plug holes. That will leak past your rings, mix with your oil, destroy your oil filter, and thin your oil out to water for up to 2 oil changes.

I would just run 1/2 bottle of cheveron techron throught the gas tank twice.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (bigsyke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigsyke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt ever put seafoam into the spark plug holes. That will leak past your rings, mix with your oil, destroy your oil filter, and thin your oil out to water for up to 2 oil changes.

I would just run 1/2 bottle of cheveron techron throught the gas tank twice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhmmmm, the can states that you need to add 1/3 of the bottle TO the crankcase. I doubt that a few teaspoons are going to make any significant difference even if the guy doesn't do the crankcase adding thing.
I ran a full can in my 94 EX's crankcase because It was friggen disgusting looking when I pulled the oilpan and valve cover off when I first bought the thing.
The oil pickup was clogged with **** and everything in the head had a dark brown tarnish on it.
So I ran a full can of seafoam in the crankcase for about 1,000 miles.

After that I pulled the valve cover and oil pan again to see if there was a difference.
Everything looked as if it was brand new, and the oil was just as thick as if there was no seafoam. So your thin as water theory doesn't hold any......well......water.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hopefully some of the other members who know what im talking about chime in. 3 years ago i made a thread here about that. seafoam is 100% petrolium. That will thin your oil out...constantly untill its water. no questions/debates.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

OK.....I just take the plug wires off and didn't take out the spark plugs then I just put seafoam in....(I know I'm dumb...cos I just start learn how to work on my car)
So the seafoam just stay in between the area between the spark plugs and the plug wires, it didn't sits on top of the pistons...

I took my valve cover off becos I couldn't take the spark plugs out after the dumb thing I did, I could only take out some broken pieces of rubber "seals"
I tried to clamp the rubber pieces out though the holes without the valve cover and I did
and I believe u're right...I bet I melt the plug hole gasket under the valve cover

How can I get all these part u mention...I check on estore. honda .com and couldn't find the parts

valve cover gasket set
plug hole gaskets
valve cover gasket
metal lined grommets/washers

Giv me couple min and I will take some pictures of it so u can help better
Thanks for the advice though
Thanks so much
Old 02-10-2008, 02:06 PM
H-T White Ops

Don't need pictures.
Pay somebody to put your car back together for you.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Can't change my spark plugs after Seafoam session !? (joe.wong321)

I just found out I only melt the spark plugs wires rubber only
look

there shouldn't be any rubber left in the cylinder holes....I guess
the piston looks kinda dirty......somebody tell

about the vavle cover seal....idk....somebody tell me

this should be a normal one

and the new problem is I broken the screw when I put the valve back

is this possible if I just get the part #19 below
http://estore.honda.com/epc/asp/rjane007.asp#

Thanks for all the help and advice

Modified by joe.wong321 at 6:13 PM 2/10/2008

Modified by joe.wong321 at 7:54 PM 2/10/2008
Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your valve cover seal looks great. It can be used over and over as long as it is not damaged (broken, cut, torn, etc.). Your spark plug hole seals need replaced. Lastly, how the hell did you break that bolt?! The torque spec is like 7 lbs!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 PM

Default Re: (bigsyke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigsyke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hopefully some of the other members who know what im talking about chime in. 3 years ago i made a thread here about that. seafoam is 100% petrolium. That will thin your oil out...constantly untill its water. no questions/debates.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 years ago......looks like your an 08 to me.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hardedge)

its kinda scary, for your lack of mechanical skill u are trying to work on this thing, but i guess you learn best from your mistakes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:57 PM

so....now I should just get new spark plug wires ?? and the bolt
I put everything back on and started the car
it started but some white smoke came out from the exhaust.....normal?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (joe.wong321)

If it wasn't 12:06am right now and people wern't sleeping in my house, I would be rolling on the floor after reading this thread.

Did you seriously pour seafoam into the spark plug tubes without taking out the spark plugs??!?!?!

Ok, well that explains where the melted rubber came from!!!!!!

Melted wires anyone?!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:49 PM

dude.....just roll on the floor....
I know, even I feel I'm dumb
but come on....this is the first time I did some tune up by myself
never even own a car be4....
hey...bright side is at least I learn from mistake...
glad I didn't fxxk up my engine....lol
Old 02-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow..u lucky..next time, do more research b4 attempting anything..u should have studied 3-4 guide b4 doing this..never once did i see a guide that tell u to pour seafoam down the spark plug hole..anyway, look like u'll need new plug wires..as for the bolt, i believe u can get a new one and replace it..that's wat u get for going hardcore on that nut dude.. lol..
good luck..next time, just do seafoam thru the brake booster line, add some to the crankcase, some to the gas tank and call it good..don't try pouring **** down the plug hole again..no matter how tempting it is..
Old 03-05-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I'm glad you take this as a positive learning experience. Its because you didn't read enough info on seafoaming. There are tons of threads about em. Another thing is, buy a torque wrench, LOVE your torque wrench. EVERY single nut, bolt, thing, thinger, jigg and jigger on your honda has a torque spec. Even the oil drain bolt, everything. Theres' a torque spec FAQ https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=953151

for B-series. Here in H-T you'll find all the resources to help you avoid these kind of things. Good luck!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic402lx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic402lx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow..u lucky..next time, do more research b4 attempting anything..u should have studied 3-4 guide b4 doing this..never once did i see a guide that tell u to pour seafoam down the spark plug hole..anyway, look like u'll need new plug wires..as for the bolt, i believe u can get a new one and replace it..that's wat u get for going hardcore on that nut dude.. lol..
good luck..next time, just do seafoam thru the brake booster line, add some to the crankcase, some to the gas tank and call it good..don't try pouring **** down the plug hole again..no matter how tempting it is..</TD></TR></TABLE>

alot of people pour seafoam down the sparkplug holes, however they remove the spark plug 1st.

pour seafoam into sparkplug holes on a warm engine, let it soak for a few hours and replace spark plugs, drive, change oil.