Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

can you figure this out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can you figure this out?

I posted this in the forced induction forum, but got no response, so I figure that I'd try here. Ive got a boosted, er hopefully boosted d16y8. I finished installing all the components to the kit, but now when I go to start it up, it won't start. Heres some helpful info:

<U>Setup</U>:
stock block
gt28r turbo internally wastegated @ 7psi
RX7 460cc injectors
OBD1 Injector Clips w/Resistor Box
OBD2-OBD1 Conversion Harness w/P28 ecu running Uberdata (basemapped)
LC-1 Wideband 02 sensor
Nology Hotwires
NGK plugs (the 2 steps colder ones) gapped at 0.28

So that's the important info, as I have all the other necessary components. So, now for the facts:

- The secondary 02 is disabled via uberdata and physically removed
- We are getting fuel in the system as the fuel gauge mounted on the fuel rail reads 40psi ish.
- We think the problem must be ignition as if you went through all 3 things needed, air, fuel and spark. We have air and fuel, so ignition is thought to be the problem
- The car did sit for 4 months, with not being run once although oil and gas were changed.
- There is an aem adj. cam gear, which we set from being advanced 2 degrees to 0.
- Almost forgot to mention, when the key is turned twice, the oil pressure, check engine and battery lights come on in the gauge cluster, but when cranked, all lights turn off, minus the battery one which flashes / cuts in and out.

So far we think that the battery might be dead. When we go to start it, it'll crank and sound like it's just about to start (sometimes even getting noise from the exhaust) but it wont turn over, so can anyone confirm that it'd probably be the battery (as it went dead for sitting for 4 months) or do you guys think its something else?

I really appreciate the help...
Old 03-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: can you figure this out? (sk8shorty012)

Do you know how to check for spark? If not heres how.

Pull out a spark plug (any will do) and connect it to the sprak plug wire. Hold on to the wire (DONT TOUCH THE PLUG DIRECT!) and place it on your valve cover. Have someone in the car try to start it and see if your getting spark. Also make sure your firing order is in order.

If you think its your batt, then try jump starting before you check your ignition.

Also how sure are you that the RX7 injectors are good?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can you figure this out? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you know how to check for spark? If not heres how.

Pull out a spark plug (any will do) and connect it to the sprak plug wire. Hold on to the wire (DONT TOUCH THE PLUG DIRECT!) and place it on your valve cover. Have someone in the car try to start it and see if your getting spark. Also make sure your firing order is in order.

If you think its your batt, then try jump starting before you check your ignition.

Also how sure are you that the RX7 injectors are good? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ignition sequence is solid (tripple double checked it). The RX7 injectors were sent to cruzin performance and cleaned / replaced with new parts and then installed securely into the manifold / block. We tried to jump it last week, but the ignition seq. was out of order when we tried that (haven't tried to jump it since). I mean, I know its not the altenator as my car ran fine b4 sitting for months & the alternator wouldn't die over time, that's what makes me think it's the battery as it sat for 4 months..although we have been charging it - maybe it just went bad. Do you think that's it or do you have another idea?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the cars cranks, but won't fire I doubt it's you battery. did you try the spark trick? did it work? try that first.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (btleier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by btleier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if the cars cranks, but won't fire I doubt it's you battery. did you try the spark trick? did it work? try that first.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed. if you are getting spark check over the basemap and make sure the proper adjustments were made for the 460cc and 40ish psi you are running.. did u physically check the timing?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (posite)

Even though a batt can crank a car it doesnt mean it can start a car and keep it running.

I had my car sitting for 6 months and both my alt. and batt took a **** on me during that time.

But still let us know about the firing order.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even though a batt can crank a car it doesnt mean it can start a car and keep it running.

I had my car sitting for 6 months and both my alt. and batt took a **** on me during that time.

But still let us know about the firing order. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well..when I told my dad this last night, he slapped me as he told me that he charged the battery earlier that day, so that can't be it. The firing order is correct, all that's left I guess is to check for spark...
Old 03-19-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Re: can you figure this out? (sk8shorty012)

Also, Another trick you can try is to get the engine at TDC then take off the distributor cap and make sure that it's pointing at the no. 1 spark plug wire. If not then you could be 180 out of phase. I've had that happen to many friends.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**UPDATE**

We have spark, the firing sequence is correct and teh engine is at TDC, so now its gotta be fuel. We have pressure in the rail, but how do you go about checking if the injectors are spraying or not?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sk8shorty012)

You have to take out the injectors and keep it in the rail and hold them and see if they are shooting. You sure you wired up the resistor correctly?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

was the motor running perfectly when you started the turbo project... or did you swap the motor and turbo kit in at the same time?
Old 03-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (btleier)

I'm wondering why you have 460s in there and you're only running 7 pounds of boost! I've got the stock 240 and I'm running 7 pounds with the GReddy blue box. Put some stock injectors in there and try it from there. 460cc is too much for only 7 psi!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

either way.... that isn't why it's not starting.