Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Camber kit, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber kit, yes or no?

Theres alot of debate out there over whether they are even worth getting or not. Some people say that the tire wear is so negligable that it isnt worth it. Also most people say 2 inches is the only point you should even consider one.

I got a 93 del sol and I play to either get Gound Control and KYB AGXS or Tein SS. So it will be a 2-3 inch drop. I just need to know honest advice before I buy my new upper control arms for the front and back. Should I do stock or is it gonna eat up my tires, and I should go after market adjustables?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit, yes or no? (civicdelsol33)

I need to buy the parts tonight, need some input!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just have it aligned, you will be fine....make sure they know how to set it up with a little more positive toe than factory spec so it doesn't chew up the tires.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit, yes or no? (forcefedferio)

Alignment is key, the camber kit is for extra adjustability. If you've got that little bit more money, just go ahead and get one, so you can have the camber adjusted to your handling needs, as well as aligning it. But don't think of it as a necessity to aleviate tire wear, as a proper alignment should about cover it.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit, yes or no? (BlackoutVTi)

really depends. IMO camber adjustment is a necessity, but then again Im a big auto crosser and do alot of performance driving. From experience, dropped cars perform worse off the line and have alot more torque steer and rut-whoring due to the tires contact patch being uneven. combine this with some offset wheels and you're on the road to disaster. If it were me i would buy the suspension, polyurethane control arm bushings, camber kits front and rear. this will give you a good all around improvement in handling as if you just install coilovers, you will notice the slop in your factory rubber shushy control arm mounts much more. In fact, after i installed my Ohlins 34 way adjustable coilovers setup for road racing i was very disappointed in performance until I proceeded to install Energy Suspensions full polyurethane bushing kit. Night and day difference, It really let the suspension do what it was supposed to do. Mind you, at first my ride height was only 3/4" lower than stock, so i did not need camber adjustment but when i went to a 2" drop i lost stability and started to understeer badly. I installed the camber kit and problem was solved! Go for it!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit, yes or no? (all_motorsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all_motorsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really depends. IMO camber adjustment is a necessity, but then again Im a big auto crosser and do alot of performance driving. From experience, dropped cars perform worse off the line and have alot more torque steer and rut-whoring due to the tires contact patch being uneven. combine this with some offset wheels and you're on the road to disaster. If it were me i would buy the suspension, polyurethane control arm bushings, camber kits front and rear. this will give you a good all around improvement in handling as if you just install coilovers, you will notice the slop in your factory rubber shushy control arm mounts much more. In fact, after i installed my Ohlins 34 way adjustable coilovers setup for road racing i was very disappointed in performance until I proceeded to install Energy Suspensions full polyurethane bushing kit. Night and day difference, It really let the suspension do what it was supposed to do. Mind you, at first my ride height was only 3/4" lower than stock, so i did not need camber adjustment but when i went to a 2" drop i lost stability and started to understeer badly. I installed the camber kit and problem was solved! Go for it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

This guy makes a good point, in a more specific fashion than my statement before him. He expresses the camber kit as more of a necessity than myself, but I am just a lowered daily driver. Either way, I saw it useful to get a camber kit anyway, as I wanted to make use of my tires by letting them actually touch the road. A camber kit is advisable, but you have to make the choice. Camber plays a key role in handling and traction; it's up to you.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alignment is key, the camber kit is for extra adjustability. If you've got that little bit more money, just go ahead and get one, so you can have the camber adjusted to your handling needs, as well as aligning it. But don't think of it as a necessity to aleviate tire wear, as a proper alignment should about cover it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't properly align a Honda that is lowered 2-3 inches without a camber kit. After I put my Tiens on my car, I had it aligned, and I ate through my tires faster than Kobyashi in a hot-dog eating contest. To properly align a car lowered that much, you need a camber kit.

Not to mention that even if you could adjust camber to an extent, the toe is what causes the most damage. Camber affects toe, but toe does not affect camber. If the camber is not completely compensated for, the toe is going to eat tires.

-Shane
Old 11-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Camber kit, yes or no? (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can't properly align a Honda that is lowered 2-3 inches without a camber kit. After I put my Tiens on my car, I had it aligned, and I ate through my tires faster than Kobyashi in a hot-dog eating contest. To properly align a car lowered that much, you need a camber kit.

Not to mention that even if you could adjust camber to an extent, the toe is what causes the most damage. Camber affects toe, but toe does not affect camber. If the camber is not completely compensated for, the toe is going to eat tires.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

well said...toe is the plague for tires!!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 AM

looks like i will be purchasing a camber kit as well
Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (ek_hatchi96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek_hatchi96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks like i will be purchasing a camber kit as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your a smart man.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992Si)

I have Skunk2 front and rear camber kits on my '94 Hatchback...I only have ~2" drop (Eibach Sportlines on Tokico Illuminas). They were easy enough to install and the alignment shop didn't have trouble aligning the vehicle.

I'd spend the money and get it...(to me) negative camber looks goofy, plus I go to the track every now and then and every inch of tire touching the ground counts , and it's peace of mind.