Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cam? pro; cons; eveything

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam? pro; cons; eveything

Hey everyone! I don't know if you will think I'm stupid for asking but, I just dont know. I've tried searching, but found no luck. I've asked my car friends, and they don't really know. So, my question is, what are the pros to a cam, and what are the cons? I'm only really looking for a stage one.

Basically, I want to know if it'll reduce my fuel economy.

Here's my situation. I bought my car specifically for the great gas milage, thats why I purchased the VX model hatchback. But, this thing is WAY too slow to my needs. So, I wanna do as many mods to my car as possible without losing fuel economy. Right now, I know I'm doing intake manifold, cold air intake, and header with testpipe. After that, I'm not sure. I saw something about a cam, but, cant find extensive information about it. So, basically I want to know everything there is about it to decide if I want to do that or not.

Also, any other thing anyone would like to suggest that I do to my car without reducing fuel economy too bad, feel free to let me know. Thank you!!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cam? pro; cons; eveything (Iheartmy92VX)

Yes it'll reduce your fuel economy, thats its job.

A higher stage cam has bigger lobes, the bigger lobes allow the valves to stay open longer which allows more fuel & air to enter the combustion chamber on each intake stroke.

So yeah...cams aren't exactly what you're looking for to increase fuel economy as they're specifically designed to use more fuel.

On the flipside - the difference on a stage1 cam would be like 1 or 2 mpg, TOPS. Nothing major on a stage/level 1.

EDIT:
All that **** you're doing to your car isn't going to do jack ****.

There's ABSOLUTELY no way to win this battle, either you get a slow economical car, or get a fast gas guzzler.

You can do what Bense did with his VX, and use shorter ratios which will speed up acceleration - but that will kill your gas mileage on the highway unless you retain the OEM 5th and final drive.

The header, and the test pipe, and the air intake, that's all bullshit - it's not gonna give you more than 5-10hp COLLECTIVELY.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: cam? pro; cons; eveything (Syndacate)

I'm not trying to make my honda the fastest damn car in the world. I'm just trying to do as many mods as possible without losing much fuel economy. Is it still going to be slow, yes it is. I'm not some stupid ignorant fool who thinks adding an exhaust and cold air intake will make my car super fast. I'm not that stupid. I also don't expect much power gain wise from this. I know theres a **** load of stuff I could do to it to actually make it fast, but, I dont want to suffer much lose from fuel economy. And i know modding the engine and trying to conserve gas milage basically go against each other, but, its what I'm doing. I'm just just trying to give my daily driver some pep in its step. And also, thanks for the info! I'd love to hear more!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: cam? pro; cons; eveything (Iheartmy92VX)

so then why get a cai? that's overrated as well. any shortram will do.

also, what's your budget?
cuz really, when you get full boltons, you can get some sort of management and get the afr's / timing adjusted, so that way you MAY be able to save a little more gas AND add like ~15 hp with a good tuner and good management.

you can get tires too. like, good ones. and stuff.
D:
Old 09-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like said before, the best (and only valuable) mod you can do to this engine, is getting a better geared tranny.
The D15Z1 has roller rockers, and unless you go custom, I don't think there is a single cam on the shelf for it.

Personally, I would do the tranny and be happy with it.
Everything on this engine is made with fuel economy and efficiency in mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting more power out of the D-engines (got a 150whp D16 myself), but you won't keep your engines fuel economy doing it.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (s_18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s_18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting more power out of the D-engines (got a 150whp D16 myself), but you won't keep your engines fuel economy doing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh? lol. sorry. that statement and those numbers didn't really mix. 150whp aint **** for a d16. you can make more power easily. just get a turbaw

i don't know about that fuel economy **** though. like i see where you guys are coming from, but i had a ~285whp turbo ls stock internals and still got around 29-31 mpg. granted i didn't gun it every day, but i got crazy mpg's.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: (gsr x civic)

ok, say basically I'm stuck with just regular bolt ons? Cause everything else will reduce fuel economy? If thats the case, ok. I'll be happy with what I can do. Like I said, I'm just trying to do eveything as possible without reducing fuel economy. It that means only a couple mods, so be it.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Iheartmy92VX)

why dont u stop wasting your money and buy a 92-95 si (or whatever they are in the us) with a d16z6 (SOHC Vtec) keep it stock and the money u saved buy not wasting it on useless bolt ons u could spend the extra little bit on gas.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (98greensi)

or, how bout I keep my VX and keep getting 40+mpg.

If I really wanted a fast honda, I would just rebuild the engine and turbo the damn thing. But thats not what I want to do. And I guess what I want to, from everyone's eye's is not realistic. So, I'll just deal with it's slowness and be happy i'm getting such good gas milage.