Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CAI ideas and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI ideas and questions

Hey guys, im looking into the idea of making a custom CAI for my Civic. Its got a B20Vtec with a POS generic short ram. Well im getting sick of that... so i drew up some plans, and want to set them into work, but i have a couple questions.

1st. What diameter, and material to make the pipe out of.
-im thinking aluminum, and 3...3.5" with a 3 or 3.5" into 2.5 for the TB.
-whats the difference in diameter? will it REALLY make that much difference between a 3" to 4"; AEM seems to think it will with the new V2 design.

2nd. where should the filter to come out at?
-thinking the left front right behind the vent.

i've got a buddy who can weld anything.. you should see the crazy crap he's done with his exahust system.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAI ideas and questions (Simple)

I would say use exhaust piping,because it stays cool,also there is no point in having piping bigger than the throttle body, because it wont go in at a higher rate than the throttle can take....
Old 02-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAI ideas and questions (ZappasOne)

here is what i did..i went out and bought a silver aem cai for a 99 civic si to put in my b16 eg then i cut the cai into 2 pieces and painted it flat olive drab green and stuck the part that goes to the t/b on the t/b with the rubber coupler and then i took another rubber coupler and stuck it over the end i cut to fit perfectly into my stock civic air box and used 2 stainless hose clamps to hold it in place and make it air tight..then i went out and bought a K&N drop in filter and tada a custom intake..i also used the factory rubber piece on the bottom of the air box and stuck the cai piece of the aem cai in it and made it seal right then i cut a little off of it and made it into a optinal cai for when i want a cai..and i still have the aem K&N filter on the end of it then i used a wide hose clamp to hold the rubber on the bottom of the air box from falling off..if i want to have a air box i just leave the drop in in the box..if i want a cai i put the cai part on my factory air box and remove the drop in filter and use the cone filter in the fender well its pretty original and it works great
Old 02-04-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: CAI ideas and questions (FF-Panda)

here is what i did..i went out and bought a silver aem cai for a 99 civic si to put in my b16 eg then i cut the cai into 2 pieces and painted it flat olive drab green and stuck the part that goes to the t/b on the t/b with the rubber coupler and then i took another rubber coupler and stuck it over the end i cut to fit perfectly into my stock civic air box and used 2 stainless hose clamps to hold it in place and make it air tight..then i went out and bought a K&N drop in filter and tada a custom intake..i also used the factory rubber piece on the bottom of the air box and stuck the cai piece of the aem cai in it and made it seal right then i cut a little off of it and made it into a optinal cai for when i want a cai..and i still have the aem K&N filter on the end of it then i used a wide hose clamp to hold the rubber on the bottom of the air box from falling off..if i want to have a air box i just leave the drop in in the box..if i want a cai i put the cai part on my factory air box and remove the drop in filter and use the cone filter in the fender well its pretty original and it works great
thats ****** awesome man

and there is a point to having bigger piping before the tb b/c it increases the venturi(SP?) effect. air going from a larger diameter to smaller diameter will flow faster and cooler based on this principle. i dont see any intake arms with a whopping 2" diameter do you?

[Modified by euclid, 11:11 PM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAI ideas and questions (euclid)

mine is actually, but its not an intake...its IC piping.

[Modified by ZappasOne, 9:16 AM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Re: CAI ideas and questions (ZappasOne)

i stand corrected
Old 02-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CAI ideas and questions (euclid)

the iceman goes from 3" (?) to about 2.5" or 2" (?) at the throttle body. i dunno the exactly measurements, but it goes from bigger diameter at the filter to a smaller diameter at the t/b... this creates a higher velocity at the throttle body ive read/heard... it gives better low end throttle response too..

i wanna use my stock airbox and an si intake arm (stock) and throw piping to the front vent for a lil cold air... and it'll be stock to the unsuspected street racers