Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C smells like wet dog :crook:

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C smells like wet dog

Just picked up a '96 EK Hatch. A/C blows cold but after 2 weeks, it began to emit a fowl smell (like wet dog) from the vents with A/C on or just with regular fan . I haven't done anything to the car except drive it to and from work. I'm thinking something crawled and died inside my condenser.

I called Honda to inquire and they said EK's are infamous for those. The Honda rep said that it may be built up condensation in the condenser and they offer a service where they would "inject" some kind of solution into the vent system that will eliminate the odor. A service that will cost $140 and 1/2 a day to do.

I'm just hesitant to do it bc I cant believe something like this would just happen out of the blue. Has anyone experienced or is experiencing this this with there EK? If so, how did you fix it? HELP!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: A/C smells like wet dog (B_Series_4_Life)

Whatever you do.....don't go to that Honda Dealership. Do yourself that favor right there. If anything take it to a local auto shop. I'm pretty sure they will diagnose and fix it for u for under half the price.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: A/C smells like wet dog (JDM B16A)

My girls del sol had a family of mice crawl in the heater motor and get turned into ground beef. It stunk like hell. I put an open bag of charcoal (basic charcoal, none of that fancy ****) in her car, and it eliminated most the odor. Then we used some smelly crap from autozone and now it has no oder. I think amor all makes some good oder eliminator.
The charcoal, works as a natural air filter. I don't know if it will help with your problem, but its cheaper than $140
Old 06-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C smells like wet dog (yellowrexsi)

if your condesor gets mold growing on it which they do because there always wet it stinks like wet dog, go to a parts store and get some a/c evaporator/air duct cleaner **** and fallow the directions. 9 times out of 10 this is all you need.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: A/C smells like wet dog (highroller54)

evap drain is the most likey cause i would start there and the other possiblity is a leak into your evap will cause a foul smell...just hope that your evap is drain cause its an easy fix and get a anti mold spray..use it, the symptoms wont go away at first but give it sometime and it should go away
Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 PM
H-T White Ops

All you guys saying it's his condenser need to quit spewing out terms you know nothing about. The condensor is in the engine bay next to the radiator.
More than likely you have sludge growing in your condensate drain pan and your drain might possibly be clogged. Dig around under your dash on the driver's side.
Find the blower unit. Take that appart and clean your pan out really good. Blow some air through your drain tube that goes outside the car.
For preventive maintenance, in the summer months, dump a bit of bleach into the drain pan. Kills any mold and sludge you might have growing in there. Hell, you might even be able to dump the bleach down the vents. It'll get down into the pan eventually.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the engine bay lately, if you haven't maybe you should...I think you might accually have a dead, wet dog stuck in there....J/K..
Old 06-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you for all the tech support homies..I will definitely check all those areas and hopefully it will be a quick fix..btw, for the past 2 days i've been driving the car and it doesn't smell all that bad as it did before..it only emits the smell on start up and disappears after 10-15 seconds...after that, its back to normal...however there were some moments when the smell would pop back up and disappear. Wish me luck
Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem with my si...i found it it was a dead awesome opossum in my condenser! i payed a local shop to get that remove...i aint touchin that nasty ****...pm me...ill show u the shop in oakland...
Old 06-14-2006, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">More than likely you have sludge growing in your condensate drain pan and your drain might possibly be clogged. Dig around under your dash on the driver's side.
Find the blower unit. Take that appart and clean your pan out really good. Blow some air through your drain tube that goes outside the car.
For preventive maintenance, in the summer months, dump a bit of bleach into the drain pan. Kills any mold and sludge you might have growing in there. Hell, you might even be able to dump the bleach down the vents. It'll get down into the pan eventually.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what caused that smell in my car, the drain tube got clogged and crud was growing in the pan, plus it would overflow and drip on the passenger-side carpet, getting it all moldy. I unclogged the tube and cleaned it up, worked odor-free after that.