Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question

I've looked all over this site for a thread on A/C issues, but none really related to what my car's going through. I'll give you guys the low-down on my car...

I have a 1996 Honda Civic DX Hatchback completely stock[no b16 or b18 in this ride.....yet ], and my A/C is blowing hot air on hot days and cool air around night time. Now, I've already tried to recharge the A/C myself, but no success because I still have a good 90% of that bottle still left for use. I've noticed that my clutch fan doesn't turn on and I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

Also, how do you check for leaks? Is it obvious to the eye where you can see it? I'm hoping it's something little as a blown fuse. Any feedback would be great!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A/C Question (Chopstikz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chopstikz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've looked all over this site for a thread on A/C issues, but none really related to what my car's going through. I'll give you guys the low-down on my car...

I have a 1996 Honda Civic DX Hatchback completely stock[no b16 or b18 in this ride.....yet ], and my A/C is blowing hot air on hot days and cool air around night time. Now, I've already tried to recharge the A/C myself, but no success because I still have a good 90% of that bottle still left for use. I've noticed that my clutch fan doesn't turn on and I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

Also, how do you check for leaks? Is it obvious to the eye where you can see it? I'm hoping it's something little as a blown fuse. Any feedback would be great!</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you noticed your condensor fan turn on? it should turn on and run constant when the a/c is on.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: A/C Question (philosofy1)

I don't think I've ever seen it turned on. Wow...major empiphany ...but do you think it could be a loose wire or a blown fuse?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chopstikz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think I've ever seen it turned on. Wow...major empiphany ...but do you think it could be a loose wire or a blown fuse? </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is how you test it.

make up some jumper wires. disconnect the factory harness and plug your jumpers to the fan.

take the other end of the wires and tough the + / - on the battery.

if the fan turns on, it's good. i would look into replacing the relay or trouble shooting the wires.

if the fan does not turn on, then it's most likely the culprit and should be replaced.
air has to be drawn into the condensor for you to feel cool air in the cabin.

keep in mind not to mix the + and the - on the fan. the blue wire is the + and of coarse the black is the -.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know some AC stuff.... If your A/C is holding a charge.... your fan doesn't really matter THAT much that it woudn't work.... You have to jump ur cut-off switch... Cause if you A/C was too low at one point, this switch turns you AC clutch off until you jump the switch in order to not burn your A/C compressor up. Let me know and i will take some pics and show you were the switch is. Once you find it, make sure your car is off. Turn the A/C on and unplug the switch and stick a paper clip in both the positive and negative side and start your car up and it will then reset it then take the paper clip off and plug the switch back in... don't worry it will not short anything don't listen to some of these guys.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is how you test it.

make up some jumper wires. disconnect the factory harness and plug your jumpers to the fan.

if the fan turns on, it's good. i would look into replacing the relay or trouble shooting the wires.

if the fan does not turn on, then it's most likely the culprit and should be replaced.

keep in mind not to mix the + and the - on the fan. the blue wire is the + and of coarse the black is the -.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The fan is just to help keep it cool... it has nothing to do with the blower for the AC
Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Question (Keeper1343)

Does the compressor kick on at all? This is important and will help direct your diag steps.

btw: The condesor fan needs to work or the system will over pressurize and trip the pressure switch which will shut off the compressor. This will affect your AC performance.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: A/C Question (phootbag)

Let me give you guys a better look at my condensor and let me know your thoughts...

The very last rail of the condensor is broken from one side and it's just hanging around now. When I was looking at the compressor, I found a strange yellow-like rust behind what seems to look like a bracket that holds the compressor in place. Wondering if that's normal? The belts turn on the A/C compressor, btw. As for the fan, it doesn't kick in at all.

Funny thing now is that I discovered that my right cv axle boot is torn and it looks like I got my work cut out for me ...

Modified by Chopstikz at 8:19 PM 7/28/2007
Old 07-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a CV boot for ur car if you want to buy it. Brand new. If you your system is holding Pressure than its fine and all it is electrical. Your pulley can still spin without your compressure working. Its the clutch that may need some attention or the fan ( as the other gentleman stated )..... PM me if you need the CV boot. Pretty cheap prices. Still in original Box with grease and stuff. PM and i will give you price. Also i getting a Condensor soon for my 95 and if it comes with a fan you can buy my old one cheap. So its not a problem. Let me know dude and good luck.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Question (Keeper1343)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Keeper1343 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The fan is just to help keep it cool... it has nothing to do with the blower for the AC</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Keeper1343 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. Its the clutch that may need some attention or the fan ( as the other gentleman stated )....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm glad to see that you think it might be the fan too.

i know my a/c stuff too.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is how you test it.

keep in mind not to mix the + and the - on the fan. the blue wire is the + and of coarse the black is the -.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So let me see if I got this right:

First, I take out the fan shroud for the condensor and jump the fan to see if it works? As for the relays, are they the ones located under the hood, next to the passenger strut tower along with the fuses beside them? If so, how do I test them? Multi-Meter?