Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

a/c experts i need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c experts i need your help!!!

Okay My a/c is is ice cold at idle or when im not driving but when iam driving it doesnt get cold anymore...The way i have my a/c fan(12" slimfan) set up as a pusher cause iam boosting now...Has anyone encounter this problem?please chime in and let me know how to solve so i can have ice cold a/c.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:16 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c experts i need your help!!! (VTEC_pWrD_CiViC)

Sounds like an issue with the pulley, coil, or clutch not being able to sustain enough tension with crank speed. That's all I can think of, and the good thing about that is if it is one of those things, they're available seperate from the compressor if going through a dealership.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cuz ur trying to run a turbo and a/c
Old 08-14-2005, 08:33 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c experts i need your help!!! (postman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cuz ur trying to run a turbo and a/c</TD></TR></TABLE>

How does that (the turbo) effect the operation of the A/C system?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a/c experts i need your help!!! (postman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cuz ur trying to run a turbo and a/c</TD></TR></TABLE>

Enlighten me on that plz also

to me it also sound slike your compresser clutch is acting funny
Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c experts i need your help!!! (99blackcivicSi)

thanks for all of your inputs...So should I replace the compressor?I have a spare compressor laying around sumwhere or should i just fix the clutch?
Old 08-14-2005, 09:25 PM

All I can think about is that response about the turbo. Maybe he's saying that when your turbo spools up and collects heat is boils the freon in side you condenser coils making the ac system run hotter. V.S. what the Freons temperature would be at idle(with less heat).
Old 08-15-2005, 04:46 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC_pWrD_CiViC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for all of your inputs...So should I replace the compressor?I have a spare compressor laying around sumwhere or should i just fix the clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would take it to a shop rather than wasting time replacing parts and R134a.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c experts i need your help!!! (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would take it to a shop rather than wasting time replacing parts and R134a.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah ima have a shop take a look at it...I already wasted like $60 in freon so far and that **** is not cheap like it use to be.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Proglow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> All I can think about is that response about the turbo. Maybe he's saying that when your turbo spools up and collects heat is boils the freon in side you condenser coils making the ac system run hotter. V.S. what the Freons temperature would be at idle(with less heat).</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friends and I have the same turbo setup and they have perfectly running a/c so i cant see why I cant have the same?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a drag gen 3 kit so they let you keep a/c
Old 08-15-2005, 08:49 AM
H-T White Ops

WOW!!!!
NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE CORRECT!!!!

You have your fan setup to push air out of the engine bay? Correct?
AC works fine when the car's not moving? Correct?
Here's what's going on.
Your condenser fan operates on a pressure switch. Once you turn your AC on the compressor clutch engages and the compressor starts to do it's thing. Pressure on the high side of the system reaches a pre-determined setpoint, which makes a pressure switch, which in turn makes the condenser fan come on to move air across the condenser to bring the pressure back down. This is normal operation.
Here's your problem. When you're sitting still the fan does it's job just fine. Moves air across the condenser, cools the refrigerant down, brings pressure back down, life is good.
When your car starts moving you get air trying to come in through the front of the car, through your condenser and into the engine bay. When you drive, engine RPM's go up as well as the compressor's RPM's. It's pumping more refrigerant, higher pressures, etc. This is where the fan comes in. The air coming through naturally isn't enough so the fan helps by pulling more air across the condenser.
What you've created by making your fan a pusher is more or less a blockage. The air the fan is pushing is fighting the air trying to come through the other way. No air flow=high pressure=AC trips off on high pressure safety.

The fix.....make your AC fan a puller like it was designed to be and everything will work fine again. I'll put $100 on this.

&lt;---HVAC guy that knows his ****.

::Edit::
just read that you bought some refrigerant. I hope you didn't try to charge your **** up. If so, take it to a shop and have them pull some back out to get your pressures right. It's probably overcharged right now.