Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

a/c bracket modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c bracket modification

I was told that Katman had a easy way of modifying the stock ITR a/c bracket to accomodate the EG's stock a/c compressor.

I called the dealership today and they wanted over 200 bucks for the P54 bracket. I have already spent way to much repurchasing my a/c system and I want to avoid having to buy a new bracket.

At the present moment I have the stock D series a/c bracket and a ITR bracket.

Can someone PM katman for me or does someone here know how to mod the ITR bracket?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (stevescivic)

Just use 3 out of four bolts!!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:06 AM

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (dohcter g)

Why don't you buy the Aluminum ITR A/C Bracket? You'll have to tap the holes but it's less that $200. Password has it for $109.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=349197
Old 06-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (ej1times)

The Del-Sol VTEC (P54) A/C bracket is $106 at hondaautomotiveparts.com

Del-Sol A/C Bracket - 38930-P54-000

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...4-000
Old 06-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (1fastVX)

The compressor will use 3 holes on the stock ITR bracket? I thought only 2 actually worked

I want to spend as little $$ as possible b/c I'm broke now and can't afford to buy a new bracket.

someone said that you can mod the itr bracket to make it bolt up to all 4 holes. How it is done is another question.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well when you have to buy a new A/C compressor and lines because the two bolts holding it broke you will be wishing you bought the correct bracket.

John
Old 06-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a/c bracket modification (1fastVX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastVX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well when you have to buy a new A/C compressor and lines because the two bolts holding it broke you will be wishing you bought the correct bracket.

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, I was lucky enough to open my hood one day and see my A/C compressor sitting on the splash guard hanging by the hoses. The bolts had sheared off because I didn't have all of the bolts in there like I should have. Oh well.....who need A/C anyway?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:44 PM

i used the 2 holes that bolted up then i tapped the 3rd hole ( i think its the upper one) to the same thread and used a longer bolt...then on the 4th hole i just got a peice of thick metal, drilled a hole on one end then grinded the opposite end until it fit in the compressor bolt hole. then i bent it 90 degrees so it formed a hook.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (kun3racer)

I was thinking of doing this:

I'm assuming the two bottom holes line up perfectly. If the two top ones don't line up couldn't someone simply get a slab of metal and bolt a crossbar between the two top holes on the bracket and drill the appropriate holes into the crossbar and mount the compressor like that? Since you're putting in a 1/4" thick metal bar along the top holes you would of course make the same cross bar for the bottom except that it is simply put there for shimming purposes and does not actually support any weight. adding a 1/4" of metal underneath the compressor is likely not going to affect anything and the belt I'm sure is long enough to accomodate for that addition.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 01:25 PM

I have seen people use 3 bolts instead of 4 for many, many, many miles!!
Old 06-03-2004, 02:51 PM

im using a p30 a/c bracket ...only the 2 inner bolt holes lined up (the ones the belt side)
Old 06-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevescivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told that Katman had a easy way of modifying the stock ITR a/c bracket to accomodate the EG's stock a/c compressor.

I called the dealership today and they wanted over 200 bucks for the P54 bracket. I have already spent way to much repurchasing my a/c system and I want to avoid having to buy a new bracket.

At the present moment I have the stock D series a/c bracket and a ITR bracket.

Can someone PM katman for me or does someone here know how to mod the ITR bracket?

Thanks
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I bought a brand new a/c bracket for a civic del sol. It is a direct fit and you use all four bolts with no modification. I got it for around 70 I believe from a junk yard (who bought from dealer and obviously made some money too). I'm sure if you look around and find one used from somebody or some junk yard you can get it pretty cheap. I wouldn't play with using only 2 o 3 bolts (if only 3 were needed why was the fourth put on there for, look pretty?)
Old 06-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (murtnabila)

my brother (who built the car) gave me hell over the phone saying I was insane for replacing the compressor on my JDM ITR engine with a stock D-compressor. NOt sure if many of you recall this but... I had a JDM ITR compressor on my motor that my brother half *** fitted the hose on with his home made clamp. Of course the hose - compressor joint is leaking refrigerant. So... I've read on the form that a stock a/c system will fit onto the ITR engine if I use 94-95 DOHC Vtec a/c bracket along with some P30 (I have no idea was a P30 bracket is) and it should be a bolt on affair.

I told him what I learned on this forum and he thinks that it won't fit the JDM ITR engine.

The problem with my engine is that its a crate engine (serial #: 000000000) so I'm not sure if that has any bearing on whether or not the del sol bracket would actually bolt up. He said he tried all sorts of things and was arguing with me that a 94-95 del sol DOHC vtec engine uses a B-series compressor.

He said: "why would honda (for the del sol) put a D-series compressor onto a B engine? Can the people where you got this info from guarantee that it will fit on this JDM ITR engine? Why would you want to use a D compressor on a B engine?"

It was quite the long winded bitch fest that he gave me so now I'm all worried about buying this bracket from honda b/c its so expensive. Its one thing when its 100 bucks but this bracket is like $300 cdn!

Is there a difference in mounting a bracket on a crated JDM ITR engine vs USDM ITR engine? The del sol p54 bracket I'm assuming takes a d compressor and mounts it onto a d engine. Why was it only 94-95 del sols that had this bracket? was it b/c it had a d compressor on a b engine?

Paranoid and frazzled,
Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't worry homie...dang hehe. Trust everyone in that the P54 bracket is definitely what you will need if you have a D series compressor already, and you want to put it on your B series motor. Don't forget that most people just sell the P54 bracket, but don't include all the pulleys and bolts you still need to get off of a B series ac bracket. The aluminum ITR ac bracket comes as a blank brand new, and needs to be tapped, and like the link above says, you can modify the aluminum ITR bracket to fit a D series compressor as well as the B series ones. However, just a little bit of info, I have a 95 GSR compressor and when I used to have my aluminum ITR bracket, I placed it up against the compressor and it didn't sit flush, so maybe there is certain B series compressors that fit perfectly with the aluminum bracket, and some that don't.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a/c bracket modification (DjGuamstyle)

Okay today I just pulled out my compressor and lines and noticed that none of the holes for my stock honda (hadsys compressor) fit my b series bracket.

Is that a cause for concern? Most ppl here say use just two holes but I can't even do that

P54 bracket is insanely expensive...

Also I noticed that my a/c bracket is part of my driver's side engine mount?
Will the p54 still be part of the engine mount?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes it'll look almost the same as it does when you first had ac in your car. It mounts up in the same fashion, it just serves as a way for you to keep your d series compressor when you swap to a B series motor. And about the holes not lining up on your B series bracket, I think people meant that you use the D series bracket with compressor, on a B series engine, and 2 bolts line up only.