Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Buying Salvage title car...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Salvage title car...?

Is it possible to get a good title on a car that has been salvaged due to being stolen before?The car looks really clean now, new motor, interior, suspension etc...?

The car is a 94' Civic Si
New paint job
00' B16A2
I/H/E
Si wheels
Hes asking 5000. obo

How much should I go down on the price?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (P@@RB@Y)

5000 is way too much for a salvage title. he probably has that much into it but still.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (e jay one)

Yeah thats what I was kinda thinking.

How bad did the car have to be for it to be salvaged from it...?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (e jay one)

i would pay no more then 4 for it even if everythin was new
Old 06-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (hatch34)

You drive the car not the title.. Cars get totaled out for minor minor damage some times.. Ask him what was replaced or if he has before pics of the car. I'd try and talk him down to 4-4500 for it.. Just have the car inspected if it checks out good.. Then why not go for it.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (hatch34)

Thats what I was going to offer him was 4000. but didnt know if that was to much...

He said it was stolen from his friend when he owned it and theres no frame damage, interior intact.If the compression ratio checks out and theres no major flaws 4000. fare?

Also can I get a regular title for this car?Or will it always be a salvaged title?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (P@@RB@Y)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P@@RB@Y &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also can I get a regular title for this car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not legally.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (AutoXer)

I think 4k is fair.. You can get it to a clear title but it will only happen by luck. Some times the dmv clerks **** up and dont realize it or if you take it to another state it will some times come back clear. Also if you have any connections you can get it cleared aswell..
Old 06-18-2005, 12:08 PM

i would never buy a salvaged car. If an insurance company determines that a car has sustained damage that exceeds a certain percentage of the car's value (usually 50 percent to 70 percent), the insurance company "salvages" the car, takes possession of it and makes some sort of monetary settlement with the owner. If the buyer of a salvaged vehicle then fixes up the car, he or she can then get it inspected by the state. The state will want to see the original insurance assessment of the car and the receipts of all the work done and the parts replaced. If the state is convinced that the salvaged car has been made roadworthy and safe, and that all necessary repairs have actually been done, the state will issue a "reconstructed" or "rebuilt" title. So since the car you're looking at has a "salvaged" title, it has NOT been reconstructed yet -- or, at least, not to the satisfaction of anybody other than the seller. If you were to find a car with a reconstructed title, you would be able to go to your state's department of motor vehicles and request the paperwork on the car's reconstruction inspection. That'll tell you what was damaged originally and exactly what work was done. If you were to find a car with a reconstructed title, you would be able to go to your state's department of motor vehicles and request the paperwork on the car's reconstruction inspection. That'll tell you what was damaged originally and exactly what work was done. So I'd be very wary of this car. While body damage can be very expensive and can result in a substantial reduction in the value of a new car, you really don't know that the damage was limited to the body. Even if the drivetrain is fine, the frame and suspension are likely to have been damaged, and the car may never steer straight or may eat through sets of tires every 4 months.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Del Sol was totalled because the damages accounted for over 1/2 the value, but probably depends on the insurance company, mine was cheap.

I personally wouldn't buy a salvage title vehicle unless it has been COMPLETELY inspected by a professional. My Del Sol had a clean title, but it had a maaco paint job, front end didn't line up, overspray everywhere, not everything put back properly, etc. It was my first time buying a car and I just rushed into it, big mistake...

Anyway, I guess 4k is fair. I paid a little over 4900 for my 1997 Civic EX with no accidents (although I can tell the previous owner backed into something and replaced the rear bumper), 125k miles, CLEAN, and only minor dings. Of course, my car isn't DOHC so maybe 4k is worth it....
Old 06-18-2005, 04:25 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Jorsher)

my car was salvaged because the ecu and subs were stolen
Old 06-18-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NerveAgent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NerveAgent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would never buy a salvaged car. If an insurance company determines that a car has sustained damage that exceeds a certain percentage of the car's value (usually 50 percent to 70 percent), the insurance company "salvages" the car, takes possession of it and makes some sort of monetary settlement with the owner. If the buyer of a salvaged vehicle then fixes up the car, he or she can then get it inspected by the state. The state will want to see the original insurance assessment of the car and the receipts of all the work done and the parts replaced. If the state is convinced that the salvaged car has been made roadworthy and safe, and that all necessary repairs have actually been done, the state will issue a "reconstructed" or "rebuilt" title. So since the car you're looking at has a "salvaged" title, it has NOT been reconstructed yet -- or, at least, not to the satisfaction of anybody other than the seller. If you were to find a car with a reconstructed title, you would be able to go to your state's department of motor vehicles and request the paperwork on the car's reconstruction inspection. That'll tell you what was damaged originally and exactly what work was done. If you were to find a car with a reconstructed title, you would be able to go to your state's department of motor vehicles and request the paperwork on the car's reconstruction inspection. That'll tell you what was damaged originally and exactly what work was done. So I'd be very wary of this car. While body damage can be very expensive and can result in a substantial reduction in the value of a new car, you really don't know that the damage was limited to the body. Even if the drivetrain is fine, the frame and suspension are likely to have been damaged, and the car may never steer straight or may eat through sets of tires every 4 months. </TD></TR></TABLE> thats why tou by theft recoveries
Old 06-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo0021)

I only buy salvage/rebuilt cars saves a ton of money it all depends on the damage, you can have a car, usually theft recovered ones or light hits,

the car you are looking at has a new paint job so it could have been hit ask the seller where it was hit examine how it was repaired. It could be a fender/bumper/hood hit or deeper. Drive the car make sure it doesn't pull to left or right too much, also look for tire wear on all tires that is a common problem for salvage when people do a crappy job, take someone with you to examine the car that knows about this kind of stuff if you are not sure about yourself. Generally I would not buy a high priced salvage car unless I was the one who repaired it or I have seen the extent of the original damage, but come on this is a civic just check it out. Also, check the quality of the paint job for any defects...
Old 06-18-2005, 07:54 PM

good information in this thread, a small detail is that some banks won't finance salvage titles, just a heads up.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Buying Salvage title car...? (Slammed Si)

yeah u do indeed drive the car, not the title

not buying a car cause of a title is retarted

a car gets stolen, and a few panels get dented and its a title.. are you going to not buy that car cause its labeled as a salvage and buy a car that has a clean title but a driven down engine?

personally, if the car runs fine, is clean lookin, well taken care of, wtf difference does it make if it was salvaged

a car coulda been totaled, split in 2, and someone coulda replaced the frame, the body, everything that was broken.. be better then any other used honda out there, and u wont buy it cause the vin # has a 'salvaged title' to it

Old 06-19-2005, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (808_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 808_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good information in this thread, a small detail is that some banks won't finance salvage titles, just a heads up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's because of diminished value. a bank wont finance a vehicle that has over 100,000 miles either, or is older than 7 years old, or maybe its 5 i cant remember which.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: (Huggy Bear)

It depends on the bank you goto, my bank wouldent so I went somewhere else and they said no proplem for a 95 in 02 so, the amount I was asking for was less then the value of the car so thats why they gave it to me.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:57 PM

do it for 4
Old 06-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (LoveOfMoney)

Which sounds like a better deal?

This 94' Si
B16A2
I/H/E-short shifter-chipped ECU
Si wheels
new paint
200 miles from where you live
$4000.

-or-

94' Si
B18C
I/H/E
O.E. paint
stock wheels
1000 miles away
$6000. obo

Old 06-19-2005, 02:37 PM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is harder to insure a salvage title car with some companies, and it is harder to trade it in at a dealer. otehr than that it all depends on who the rebuilder is.

as far as safe or whatever ont he car, i work for a honda shop and salvage yard that regularly rebuilds hondas that are salvage titles, some need as little as a new 1/4 panel and door and car good to go. some we have to put a new front end or rear end on. theft recoveries are usually great since we jsut need to bolt on the missing parts.

oh yeah and the last salvage titel car we sold was a 1995 integra gsr 4 dr, with 67k miles, had a new door, 1/4 panel. left rear LCA,a nd rear bumper, it went for $4500.

oh and btw if you are interested in a 1993 civic ex abs sedan with a gsr swap let me know we are looking to sell my wifes car....and i am closer than 1000 miels away and the car has a clean title.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

If you can get it for cheap, then go ahead. It will be a pain when it comes time for u to sell it though, unless you are going to get it approved by the state dmv.

I would look for a clean title car, myself.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Electrician

$5,000 for a Salvaged hatch is ridiculous. I don't give a **** if it has a torqueless B16.

You can find something way better than that, with a clean title, for a lot less.