Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

building all motor jdmb16

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building all motor jdmb16

right now i just have short ram injen intake and greddy sp2 cat back exhaust.
im trying to go all motor and get atleast 200 to the wheels.
so the question is...
what cams?
header?
hondata s200?
vtec controller?
i was think going with stage 2 crower cams, valve springs, retainers.
sms header or jasmine.
getting s200 and tune it at a place that does a good job.
and getting some sort of vtec controller?

im always open to suggestions and open for new ideas for my motor.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:30 AM
EG type GTR

b16s are garbage

anyways, watch the omni b16 video and get some tips on their setup
Old 07-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: building all motor jdmb16 (jdmeg6love)

I dont think getting a b16a to 200whp is easy. Especially keeping it a 1.6L.
It can be done though(just watch the omni man video), but its gonna cost.

Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (EG type GTR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG type GTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16s are garbage

anyways, watch the omni b16 video and get some tips on their setup</TD></TR></TABLE>

do u have links to that video that u tell him to watch?

at OP:
You can do it, and no, it won't be THAT expensive, but of course like anything else with hondas, the easiest power gain comes from forced induction...

your upgrades seem good right now, Hondata s200 is a good choice if u know somebody who's a pro tuner to get the most out of those cams...alright, as far as the valve springs and retainers go...you won't need them, you'll only need them to build rev endurance on your block so you can rev it longer before you float the valves...but if u plan on making it an engine that redlines at 10k, ur going to need bottom end work as well...

I would recommend leaving the stock rev limit (7200 on the B16 I believe), leaving the valve train in there, you won't find any gains from it..

You don't need a vtec controller, the vtec point is fine if ur aiming for 200hp

WHat you have to remember is the B16 doesn't put down 160hp like it's claimd, that's at the flywheels, at the wheels it puts down less...say 140-145, so u got a good 55hp to gain for ur target, u can figure that the short ram intake gave nothing besides throttle response time and the greddy sp2 gave you MAYBE 5-8 hp TOPS... so we can say ur circum 150, u got about 50 hp to gain...that's kinda a lot going NA, like I said before ur best bet would be going FI, also, I would post this question in the all motor forum, they can give you better tips on better/cheaper builds to get you to ur 200whp

the upgrades u have there sound good, but they won't throw down 200whp, even with a good tune, I would go with a bigger throttle body (say one off a GSR or Type R) but with that u'll need to mill the intake manifold to fit, or the difference in size will actually create turbulance and lower ur hp...little tip I learned from working on V8's says that "on intake stuff, the it's okay for the pipe before to be bigger than the pipe after, but not smaller....and on the exhaust system, it's okay for the pipe before to be larger, but not smaller" - basically that means that if the air is going to a systme with a smaller opening it'll create turbulance in the air flow and cut down ur hp, so u'll need a milled down or bigger IM to go along with a larger throttle body... The header sounds good, might wanna do something for a B pipe since u probalby got the stock B pipe in there...that should be okay for flow, from there you MIGHT wanna go to high compression pistons and possibly a bit thicker of a head gasket (don't forget if u go too high u'll throw off the timing)...

Iono where that'll put u hp wise but it won't be at 200whp, pple in the all motor forum can tell u the rest of the way to get there...

As you can see from all the stuff I listed that won't even get u there, when dealing with a small displacement engine such as a B16, they don't respond well to bolt ons as would a larger displacement motor....wouldn't be surprised if the upgrades u need to make that engine put down 200whp costs as much as a home made t urbo system which could give u 300whp....think about it...
Old 07-28-2006, 09:44 AM
EG type GTR

ive been wanting to watch the omni video but i cant find it anywhere =P
Old 07-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG type GTR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16s are garbage

anyways, watch the omni b16 video and get some tips on their setup</TD></TR></TABLE>

sure?! this is a taste, not the whole thing, anyway here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/results...ideos

everything you want to know on how to get 200whp on a b16a.
the dudes a genuis, i actually own the dvd, it is worth it. takes a step by step on everything, head, block, tranny, gearing, cams, pistons, etc. i think i'm gong to watch it later.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:17 AM
cute little bastard

because the hype R rules all right?

But yeah, 200whp B16 is gonna cost $$$$

&lt;---174whp B16A will be changing it up though
Old 07-28-2006, 10:24 AM
EG type GTR

let me fix it.

b16 is the king of the streets. =P
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

because the hype R rules all right?

But yeah, 200whp B16 is gonna cost $$$$

&lt;---174whp B16A will be changing it up though</TD></TR></TABLE>

When ya gonna get the whole vid up?
Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When ya gonna get the whole vid up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol what video? I don't have it. **** costs like $70...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:34 AM
EG type GTR

somebody who has it upload it for the rest of us poor folk =P
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i posted it up, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/results...ideos
Old 07-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can do it, and no, it won't be THAT expensive
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know what you would consider "THAT expensive" but Im willing to bet the average person would drop $3-4K trying to get a b16 to that power.

your upgrades seem good right now, Hondata s200 is a good choice if u know somebody who's a pro tuner to get the most out of those cams...alright, as far as the valve springs and retainers go...you won't need them, you'll only need them to build rev endurance on your block so you can rev it longer before you float the valves...but if u plan on making it an engine that redlines at 10k, ur going to need bottom end work as well...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where are you getting your info? Crower stage 2 cams require stiffer valve springs. It has to do with alot more than how high your revving.

I would recommend leaving the stock rev limit (7200 on the B16 I believe), leaving the valve train in there, you won't find any gains from it..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

B16 redline is like 8000rpm or 8200rpm. And he better plan on revving higher if he wants 200whp.

WHat you have to remember is the B16 doesn't put down 160hp like it's claimd, that's at the flywheels, at the wheels it puts down less...say 140-145, so u got a good 55hp to gain for ur target, u can figure that the short ram intake gave nothing besides throttle response time and the greddy sp2 gave you MAYBE 5-8 hp TOPS... so we can say ur circum 150, u got about 50 hp to gain...that's kinda a lot going NA, like I said before ur best bet would be going FI, also, I would post this question in the all motor forum, they can give you better tips on better/cheaper builds to get you to ur 200whp
</TD></TR></TABLE>

50hp NA is ALOT! Your talking head work, higher compression pistons, a DAMN good header, etc, etc. Thats a couple grand on top of the price of cams, valve springs, retainers, and cam gears.

Not to mention you need a damn good tuner.

The entire reason thay made a video about a 200whp, 1.6L, pump gas, b16 was because it is not exactly an easy thing to do. I mean, you dont see videos on how to make your itr or lsvtec motor hit 200hp cause its alot easier and people do it all the time.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont know what you would consider "THAT expensive" but Im willing to bet the average person would drop $3-4K trying to get a b16 to that power.

Where are you getting your info? Crower stage 2 cams require stiffer valve springs. It has to do with alot more than how high your revving.

B16 redline is like 8000rpm or 8200rpm. And he better plan on revving higher if he wants 200whp.

50hp NA is ALOT! Your talking head work, higher compression pistons, a DAMN good header, etc, etc. Thats a couple grand on top of the price of cams, valve springs, retainers, and cam gears.

Not to mention you need a damn good tuner.

The entire reason thay made a video about a 200whp, 1.6L, pump gas, b16 was because it is not exactly an easy thing to do. I mean, you dont see videos on how to make your itr or lsvtec motor hit 200hp cause its alot easier and people do it all the time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

o word up, I didn't know that stiffer springs were required for a crower cam...

Damn, I didn't even know about that 8200 RPM redline, always shifted the one I drove at 7.2k...probably because it was a stock VX or CX body/cluster that I drove it in and I didn't know where the redline was so I played it safer than sorry....whooooooooooops...ya I just remembered that I didn't wanna blow it when winding it out b/c it wasn't mine...

Ya I wouldn't drop 3-4k on a motor that wasn't FI but u can pcikup a greddy turbo system and make 300 like I said w/ reinforced internals, forged rods, the works...but for the same u can achieve 200WHP with a B16

Some people just don't want to go the FI route..it's his choice...

Old 07-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i posted it up, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/results...ideos</TD></TR></TABLE>

what's the name of it/how long is it? Thought this wasn't just a trailer...
Old 07-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I wouldn't drop 3-4k on a motor that wasn't FI but u can pcikup a greddy turbo system and make 300 like I said w/ reinforced internals, forged rods, the works...but for the same u can achieve 200WHP with a B16

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear you on that. If my goal was only 200whp, Id just spend $300 on a used nitrous kit and call it a day. lol

But to each their own.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: building all motor jdmb16 (jdmeg6love)

I got a JDM b16...Its not all that bad...Im satify with it I dont know about other people...I beat a built LSV with bottom and top ends built...I havent done much to my b16 but itr camshafts and ape camgears advanced 2 degrees and a chip ecu...but if u want your b16 fast get some ctr pistons in...probably get a compression to 11-11.5 possibly