Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken strut bolt and cross threaded subframe nut....HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken strut bolt and cross threaded subframe nut....HELP!!!

Ok so I was trying to put on my Omni LCA's and it was a huge dissapointment.

This only happened to one side...thank god but my car is outta comission till I bring it to the shop.

Well, the strut bolt broke on the driver side...so ok...me and my friend busted out the grinder and cut the welded nut on the strut....after we cut it...the strut still wouldn't break free from the old LCA so I couldn't swap my Omni's in....I gave up and said this can't be done w/out a torch...since drilling takes forever.

So how can this be fixed?
Drill out the bolt or heat it up until the old LCA can come off of the strut?...but since the welded nut is gone on the strut...I can easily replace them with a grade a nut and bolt right?

And for my subframe bolt on the inner end of the LCA...while I was putting the bolt back...somehow it went in until there was like 1.5 cm of space between the head of the bolt and the subframe and it kept spinning...I was like ****...it's cross threaded.

How can this be fixed? I dunno how a shop can get to the welded nut on the subframe....the only thing I can think of is drill the hole and re-tap it or cut it off and replace it with a grade a nut...

I am soo pissed right now... can someone give me some input?

And about how much would a shop charge? (I am putting in new LCA's though so that saves the trouble of pressing the bushing out)

Thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Broken strut bolt and cross threaded subframe nut....HELP!!! (1sIck_EM1)

you have to cut the welded nut AND the head off the bolt, then get a punch and knock the threaded part out (the center of the LCA /metal sleeve isnt threaded)
Old 05-26-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Broken strut bolt and cross threaded subframe nut....HELP!!! (Team RS2)

also replace the welded nut with another nut with the same thread it doesnt have to be welded on there
Old 05-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken strut bolt and cross threaded subframe nut....HELP!!! (Team RS2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have to cut the welded nut AND the head off the bolt, then get a punch and knock the threaded part out (the center of the LCA /metal sleeve isnt threaded) </TD></TR></TABLE>

well the head broke off and I did cut the welded nut...it shouls be free from the strut but it's still stuck...

and do you have any idea how to fix the subframe part I explained?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Broken strut bolt and cross threaded subframe nut....HELP!!! (1sIck_EM1)

for the subframe part jack the spring up with a jack to compress it grab your impact out and keep spinning/pressing on it until it catches and pops/goes in

you dont notice it but the spring is pressing down on the lcs giving it an angle just keep working with it and get it in
Old 05-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the subframe part jack the spring up with a jack to compress it grab your impact out and keep spinning/pressing on it until it catches and pops/goes in

you dont notice it but the spring is pressing down on the lcs giving it an angle just keep working with it and get it in </TD></TR></TABLE>

read my orignal post....the bolt on the inner lcas is cross threaded with the welded nut on the subframe....I looked at the welded subframe nut from the other side and the bolt went through the nut halfway, stopped, and just kept spinning.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:25 PM

did the same thing with me, but it turned out i was locking the bolt with the pressure from the spring/strut assembly, itll go right in if you just play with it a little
Old 05-26-2007, 05:26 PM

and if the nut gets fucked up just do the same thing you did with the shock nut cut off and hit up lowes/autozone/krages/parts plus/homedepot for a grade 8 nut
Old 05-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also did have the brake rotor jacked up....trust me...it went in...the bolt grabbed and almost went all the way through and then just kept spinning.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and if the nut gets fucked up just do the same thing you did with the shock nut cut off and hit up lowes/autozone/krages/parts plus/homedepot for a grade 8 nut </TD></TR></TABLE>

But how can you get the the subframe nut? it's like impossible because it's surrounded by a shield from the subframe....

And would you happen to know how much a shop would charge about...I'm not keeping the old lcas by the way.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:32 PM

i dunno seemed like alot of space on mine becuase i did it on an eg, i dont know how much itd cost shouldnt take more than an hour tho
Old 05-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh..ok thanks....but if it is the case where the any of the welded nuts have to be replaced....it can be cut out and simply be replaced with a new grade a bolt and nut right?...
I have heard some ppl say once you cut the nut on the strut...the strut is useless and I dunno about the subframe...but it seems they can be simply replaced right?

ehhh...memorial day weekend....gotta wait till tues to make an appointment at the shop...sooo pissed
Old 05-26-2007, 05:42 PM

ive simply just replaced it, noone told me it was bad, i dunno diffrent opnions i guess look into it see if you want to do it or not
Old 05-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody have any other ideas?...I'm about to bring it to the shop real soon hopefully.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PM'd u