Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Skunk2 Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Skunk2 Short Shifter

I just want to share my experience so that it may inform others and so that my experience may add to someone else's purchase decision, positively or negatively. I have a 1996 civic. I was driving to work this morning, down shifting from 3rd to 2nd gear coming to a stop light, my damn Skunk2 short shifter broke. It is about a year and a half old and it was purchased from an authorized retailer. I definitely wouldn't call it "abused," as 80% of my driving is commuting to work. I drive most of the time with 2 circuit hero shifter extenders (personal preference, makes it extremely comfortable in L.A. traffic, I remove them when I am canyon carving) and skunk2 shift ****, it snapped off at the base of the threads, completely removing the threaded portion from the shifter and ruining my extender unless I careful drill/remove the material left inside. I have seen other skunk2 products in person and wasn't impressed, but the short shifter appeared to be higher quality, in which case I was wrong, because I would expect this sort of thing from a $30 ebay shifter, not a $120 shifter or w/e the price is. Maybe others have had better luck, but I won't ever be buying another S2 product again. I am going to get a hybrid racing shifter or a buddy club, any input on either is appreciated if you own/have experience with one or the other.

Last edited by ej6fade; 04-11-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Skunk2 Short Shifter

2 circuit hero extenders? lol, that's why it broke.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donut.
of course it broke, lol. they're not designed for that.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is exactly why it broke.

There are 2 possible causes

1: In EVERYTHING EVER MADE, there is always a product here and there that has a flaw, it's just how the world is.

2: The 2 extensions you used are putting added stress on the threads, causing them to break off. This isn't a reason to blame and give negativeness toward Skunk2. It's like putting a cheater pipe on a rachet/wrench, your putting Force on something where you aren't suppose to, causing it to possible break.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:39 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a reason they call it Junk2.

OP, your extender isn't ruined - just use a bolt remover and some vice grips to pull that thing out.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

You put two levers on a shifter. It was bound to break.

Skunk2 actually makes a very nice short throw. It's better made than almost any other product that's readily available.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM
The Credible Hulk

B&M dual bend FTW
Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! Ran the same skunk2 shifter for 6-7 years and new owner still has installed for past 2-3 years and not a damn problem. Snapped a B&M in half though lmao!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know how you use a long breaker bar to remove stubborn bolts? yeah.... same idea here with two extenders....
Old 04-11-2014, 06:33 PM
GDD Member

I'm surprised the Junk2 broke, they have some of the highest quality low-grade Chinese manufacturing products in the Automotive industry.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instrument
You know how you use a long breaker bar to remove stubborn bolts? yeah.... same idea here with two extenders....
Originally Posted by Fliptard
2: The 2 extensions you used are putting added stress on the threads, causing them to break off. This isn't a reason to blame and give negativeness toward Skunk2. It's like putting a cheater pipe on a rachet/wrench, your putting Force on something where you aren't suppose to, causing it to possible break.

Makes sense, I didn't think of it like that, only thought of ergonomics. I guess I am at fault, but i still don't believe it should have just snapped off. I expect more from my gear/parts. if I can do push ups with my crappiest steel AK magazines and have it function perfect, plain old steel mags with some rust, no real quality control, could be korean or russian, I have no idea, they don't break even after beating them against a brick wall or hammering in nails with them, not what it was designed for, the shifter should be able to withstand a daily commute with some extra length. I would assume increasing length equals increased force on a linear scale, not exponential, but correct me if I am wrong. If I am wrong, enlighten me, I would much rather be wrong, corrected, and learn than some ******* just telling me you're wrong and be a dick about it. Either way, lesson learned on my part actually surprised there wasn't more flaming haha

Originally Posted by slomofo
I'm surprised the Junk2 broke, they have some of the highest quality low-grade Chinese manufacturing products in the Automotive industry.
I agree with this, only skunk2 parts i owned was short shifter and battery tie down, which are the only products i have ever been impressed with from them. I have driven friends cars that have parts like s2 suspension, or seen parts in person where they looked 95% finished and its almost like they said aww **** it, just give it to the customer like that, burrs on edges, uneven finish, etc. Its a fanboy brand imo. Quality is not a word I associate with s2, i based my purchase off other reviews and good old you-get-what-you-pay-for. There are so many replica parts of crappy parts already. Aliexpress.com is an example of what to watch out for and replica parts people are selling. Still wont buy another skunk2 product lol decided to go pick up a k-tuned shifter

Last edited by ej6fade; 04-12-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

K-tuned shifter FTMFW those things are amazing, their new pro circuit one is something to look into it's fully adjustable I like mine.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej6fade

I would assume increasing length equals increased force on a linear scale, not exponential, but correct me if I am wrong. If I am wrong, enlighten me, I would much rather be wrong, corrected, and learn than some ******* just telling me you're wrong and be a dick about it.
No, you are correct. Torque = Fd (force times distance) when applied perpendicular to the level arm (the shifter in this case) or T = Fxd (force cross distance) = Fdsin(theta) when applied at an angle (you need the vector component of the force applied perpendicularly).

I don't know off the top of my head how long a short shifter is normally or how long your extensions on it are, but I could see the extensions easily adding 50% more force. Enough to break it though? Eh? I would have gathered a quality product could withstand a decent amount of force to compensate for a variety of drivers… but I'll let the Skunk2 haters handle that I'll stay indifferent as I've never used one of their products first hand.