Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

breaks acting funny

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default breaks acting funny

i have a 93 hatch and the breaks seem to be sticking sometimes, not sticking a lot but enought that when i stop at a stop sign and go to take off again, u can notice them holding a little bit. new pads, rotors, shoes in rear and calipers are new too.

when i break first time the pedal goes down past half before i get breaking power and after that when i use them again to come to a complete stop the pedal hardly has to move at all to get full breaking power. after i take off and drive for a bit and try to stop again, same thing. i was thinking that the breaks needed to be bled, but havent tried it yet and thought id ask here to see what u guys thought

please dont critize my post cause im a noob

PS- the rotors get really hot after i stop driving and there is quite a bit of break dust as well. could it just be cause the pads and rotors are fairly new? ive been driving it for a few weeks now and the guy who had the car before me was driving it for a while too. i dont feel too safe until i figure out whats going on here

Modified by CRXified at 12:02 AM 10/25/2004
Old 10-24-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: breaks acting funny (CRXified)

Did you bleed your brakes properly after installation? Sounds like you might have air in the line. Also after you first installed them it would have been a good idea to take it for a test drive and "slam" the brakes a few times from 5 mph to 0. about 3-5 times.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaks acting funny (SRCivic97)

thanks for the reply. i didnt bleed the brakes when i got the car and am not sure if the person that installed all the new brake parts did or not. im going to try to bleed them tomorrow, but i cant really see how that woudl make the brakes stick on a bit, maybe im wrong tho
Old 10-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it feel like all 4 brakes stick? or just fronts or backs? Its normal for heat and dust. and you definiatly need to bleed the brakes out. Air in the system will give you a "spongy" feeling pedal. Did this happen suddenly after the brake job or has this almays happened?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaks acting funny (civic-si-2000)

it does feel like all 4 brakes stick a bit, but after i drive it for a couple minutes they seem to free up. i dont belive teh brakes were bled when the new stuff was put on but im not sure cause i just got the car 2 weeks ago. i do know the pads,rotors,and front calpiers are new tho. the brakes dont seem spongy at all really, tehy wrok nice when i push the petal down but when i let off the brakes and apply them again to come to full stop the petal doesnt have to go down as far to get full braking contact it seems.

also sometimes u can hear squeeking from, what I think, is the shoes and pads sticking on teh rotors/drums. its nothing too severe, but i dont want everything to wear prematurly
Old 10-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a jammed line or bad valve in the Prop. Valve or Master Cylinder. Not enough fluid evacuation. Sucks.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaks acting funny (Archidictus)

how would i got abouts narrowing down the problem after i bleed the system and rule that out?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 93 hatch and the breaks seem to be sticking sometimes, not sticking a lot but enought that when i stop at a stop sign and go to take off again, u can notice them holding a little bit. new pads, rotors, shoes in rear and calipers are new too.

when i break first time the pedal goes down past half before i get breaking power and after that when i use them again to come to a complete stop the pedal hardly has to move at all to get full breaking power. after i take off and drive for a bit and try to stop again, same thing. i was thinking that the breaks needed to be bled, but havent tried it yet and thought id ask here to see what u guys thought

please dont critize my post cause im a noob

PS- the rotors get really hot after i stop driving and there is quite a bit of break dust as well. could it just be cause the pads and rotors are fairly new? ive been driving it for a few weeks now and the guy who had the car before me was driving it for a while too. i dont feel too safe until i figure out whats going on here

Modified by CRXified at 12:02 AM 10/25/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had the same problem the i just spelled them correctly and my brakes worked fine
Old 10-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaks acting funny (SantaCruz92Si)

haha very funny, just to let u know, Santa Cruz is 2 words, *** face.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for a new day.
i bled them today and no air in lines, seems like the brake fluid is not returning and keeping them calipers/cyclinders on. i also noticed that 1 brake pad on the LF side on the inside was worn really bad and will need to be replaced soon. this was most likely from the brakes sticking as they were just replaced. im leaning more towards the master cyclinder or booster.
also heard on another board that the flex lines could be clogged or colapsed, but what are the chances of all 4 of them being collapsed at the same time?