Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brakes are firm then soft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes are firm then soft?

Well this may be a problem, however it may not be.
2000 Civic EX 2 door

Basically, ever since i got my brakes changed I've been paranoid. However I noticed that when I brake I press the peddle in about 1/2 way, maybe a little less, before I get any real stopping power. This is, unless I just revved my engine... When the engine gets reved to say... 4000rpm, its like the peddle is stiff again. However once I brake once, its back to limp, and it is only stiff if the engine is still in the mid to higher rpms.

Is this normal? or.. is there something wrong?
Also, what should I lube on my driver's side rear drum brake to stop a squeek when I let off the brake peddle. (if its internal I will probably just deal with it until I rotate the tires or something, unless its bad)

Thank you H-T in advance, you've all yet to let me down.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Brakes are firm then soft? (CooBlueDAB)

If someone (shop) did the work for you, take it back to them..

Try bleeding your brakes.. or completly flushing all of the old fluid out of your brake system.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Brakes are firm then soft? (93CivicSI)

Im never going to that "shop" again, the guy used to be a good private mechanic for this stuff, then he went gayness on my exhaust giving me the wrong pipe and his attitude and service went to shiz... I just dont want to deal with it again.

I havent bled the brakes, I may do that, I also know its about time to flush and fill my coolant as well, .... still keeps engine below half on heat gauge, but.. its time. 76,000 miles lol (got used at like 49,990 miles from a dealership)

How long does it take to bleed the brakes on average? And how much fluid will I need in total?
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brakes are firm then soft? (93CivicSI)

That's kinda odd that revving the engine does anything with the brakes. I know power steering takes some power from the engine to work the hydralics or whatever, but is there some sort of engine power used to boost brake pressure? That doesn't sound right.

What brakes were worked on? Front calipers, rear drums, or all four corners? What was the work done? Brake pads/shoes, caliper replacement.... I replaced some rear calipers on my EG this summer, and my pedal was squishy for a while. It turns out that one of the calipers wasn't working straight from the factory. Once I re-replaced it and bled the stuff, it worked fine. That could be the case.

But try the simple stuff first and try re-bleeding it.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:28 PM

It doesn't take too long to bleed brakes if you can get all four corners up at once, and you have good communication between you and your friend pumping the brake peddle. I had to raise each wheel individually, take the wheel off, bleed the junk, put the wheel on, lower it, and repeat three more times. you're not gonna go through a lot of brake fluid doing this, but it's good to have some on hand. And check the resevoir often!! Don't let the master cylinder take in air!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

you know what "power brakes" are?
It uses the vacuum (lower pressure) from the INTAKE MANIFOLD. THus...when you rev the engine, lower pressure, and this will change the feel of the brakes. As the RPMs increase, the brake pedal feel changes. Notice how your brakes are HARD when the engine is off. after you press it once or twice, there is no vacuum assist, and they feel like unassisted brakes. power brakes work off a vacuum assist, a difference in air pressure, which changes with RPM, cause more air flowing through the manifold and less pressure in it.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:29 PM

bleed your brakes. get a friend and some good fluid.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, what should I lube on my driver's side rear drum brake to stop a squeek when I let off the brake peddle. (if its internal I will probably just deal with it until I rotate the tires or something, unless its bad)</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the same problem. i sprayed half a can of brake cleaner all up in there, and it went away for about a week. i'm pretty sure that one of the springs needs to be greased, but i really don't care and have been driving for months now and they still work.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Brakes are firm then soft? (jwn7)

thanks all, I think I will try to bleed the brakes... I had all the brakes done, basically changed the pads, and had the rotors trued. However the pads did not fit correctly in the beginning, he had to shave about well, a very small amount of metal from the brake pad back, not the stopping part, this was to insure that the pad did not stick, and moved freely. He did lube all the parts in the drum though, said it looked bad in there, but the parts would still be good at least until the next brake job... being in ohio, rust is a lifestyle, almost like JDM y0
Old 10-15-2004, 09:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CooBlueDAB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> However the pads did not fit correctly in the beginning, he had to shave about well, a very small amount of metal from the brake pad back, not the stopping part, this was to insure that the pad did not stick, and moved freely. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you've got to be kidding ..... this is a shop? like a place other people take their cars to get fixed? wow.

the reason they wouldn't fit is because the piston in the caliper was pushed out for your old (less thick pads). when you put new pads in there, you open up the brake resiviour cover, and take a C clamp to push the piston back so the new thick pads fit. everybody knows that.

and you just paid somebody who is supposed to know what he is doing to shave your brake pads.

wow

please post the name and location of the shop so we can stay the hell away from there
Old 10-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Brakes are firm then soft? (jwn7)

Edit: Though I do agree with you... I hated his service, I chose to watch everything, so I know its working... Ill find the name of that place and number so we can spread the word about this craphole. (on the plus side I threatened court for bad buisness, was convincing, and I ended up paying for part price only...)

yeah I know about the refitting of the cylinder, he reset it, I watched the entire thing... it wasnt the moving parts that didnt fit... it was like... hrm... a placement holder, to keep the pad from sliding or turning, the part that it moves in and out of.... And, I am pretty sure it is just because ohio is shiz for cars... they rust too much... I should probably have new calipers, but I didnt have the money.