Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake question

My brakes are smoking a lot and the pads wont seem to let go of the rotors. In example, I can come to a stop without touching the brake pedal at low speeds and it is audible; you can hear the brakes grabbing the rotor. I also have to rev higher to get the car going because of the brakes grabbing.

This is what I did. (only the front brakes);
I just took apart the two pins conjoining the brake caliper. I sprayed the backs of the brake pads with Gunk Disc Brake Quiet as well as took some sand paper to the front of the pads. Also, I re-lubed the top pin boot with White Lithium Grease after cleaning it with a shop rag. I brushed off the metal retainers and painted a thin coat of anti-seize where they touch the brake pads. Then, before I put everything back, I compressed the piston on the brake caliper. I also lubed the piston up with a little bit of Dot 3 brake fluid. This is where I think I might have made a mistake. I only took the C-clamp to the inside of the piston and the back side of the caliper enough to slide the caliper back into position to reassemble the brakes. Finally, I pumped the brake pedal to regain its pressure before starting the car and taking it for an easy test drive.

The brake pads are new and have a lot more material left.

What may have I done wrong if anything?
Should I wait longer and drive it more before taking it apart again?
Could I spray Brakleen on the rotors or is this a big no no?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Mike

Modified by SleepEMike at 2:39 AM 5/28/2004
Old 05-27-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Brake question (SleepEMike)

Bump to the first page. Someone help.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are all of your rotors doing this?? If so I have no idea....

If it's just one, it honestly sounds like a frozen rotor to me. I had to replace one of mine just about a month or so ago as it wouldnt let go. Didnt get to the point of smoking though...
Old 05-27-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Brake question (Ricey McRicerton)

Only the front left and a little bit on the front right are doing this.

The brake pads are not but about two months old. They are Hawk's HPS pads. After installing them at my school's auto shop, the brakes emitted an odor as they heated up when I first took a drive out, one foot on gas other on brake, for about a half a mile. Also, a little smoke puffed out but not as much as today. My shop teacher then told me that I may had done it too hard but a little bit of odor/smoke wasn't a concern. I did this again today after the reassembly, not as hard, although it probably wasn't necessary.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A good way to check brake wear is to look at the amount of brake dust compared corner to corner. I have white ITR rims, so its easy for me, and maybe not so much for you though.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Brake question (Ricey McRicerton)

Hrmm, I have noticed the front left wheel having an excess amount of brake dust on the rim when I wash the car every week compared to the other wheels. The front right having the second most amount of brake dust on it.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your problem is you used white lithium grease.. NEVER on brake components.

take then off and clean off all the old grease from the pins, boots, and caliper bracket holes portion and USE synthetic Brake Lube (its usually black, clear or red).

also you took out the old piston from the caliper? if so I hope you poped it in with your fingers before you forced it with the clamp.. if you did you just destroyed the whole unit if you put a scratch but I think you damaged the straight cut seal.

Also brake clean is a good think to use but when you changed the pads did you get the rotors turned? PM me for futher info.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake question (BatuKing)

so, is it the pistons that are stuck?? after i worked on my brakes, the left side pistons got stuck, and it wouldnt let go of the rotor.. I got it free, then it was fine..
im just not clear as to whats happening here..
Old 05-27-2004, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Brake question (aphex23)

BatuKing, you have PM.

I am not sure what is entirely going on. I think I may have gone about reassembling the caliper's piston, compressing it the wrong way with the C-clamp. If my memory serves, last time I did the brakes, my shop teacher compressed it with the brake pads in it or something. I hope I didn't damage anything.

The piston was never removed last time or this time.

I will most likely be waking up early to re-lube up those pins with synthetic brake lube (same as silicon paste?) and correcting anything else...