Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake help rear discs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake help rear discs

Hey me and some buddies put new pads on my si hatch withstock front and rear disc brakes.

We installed the front brake pads with no problem, but the back pads have the harness to the E-brake which makes taking the caliper off a little harder,

after we got the caliper off the brake piston that presses the pad against the rotor was really tough to depress, you have to turn it with needle nose pliers to close it enough for the caliper to fit over the brake pads.

in the process it came off and some brake fluid leaked out, but that released the pressure in the lines and made the piston easier to depress, so after we finished all the pads I "bedded" the brakes in by driving 40 stopping short,

0-60 stopping short, pumping brakes and going slow and I could smell chemicals on the pads so I know they were breaking in but I still had really low pedal,

and that must be because air got into the lines when the rear piston came off, so do you think if I opened the brake fluid reservoir and pumped the brakes that the air would release through the reservoir, or do you think I have to get my brake lines bled?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Brake help rear discs (bboylito)

sounds like you have to bleed them. its not hard, i believe its a 10mm nipple. just have your friend pump it like 3-4 times and hold, open and close nipple. do that a few times and make sure you keep your fluid full.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake help rear discs (eK9aT10pSi)

Make sure you have cleaned brake fluid that may have gotten on disc brakes too. Check to make sure that your brake cables are tighten and that no leaks are there before you bleed the lines. I believe you must bleed all four brakes when you have all disc conversion to ensure that no air pockets are left in the lines. You might also might want to buy about two bottles of brake fluid cause you do go through a bit of it when you have just installed the new disc on rear. And as said earlier. This is a diffinite two person job. unless you want to try the one person bleeding system that can be purchased in auto parts. The brakes are not grabbing right away because you may have some air still there or you have some fluid on discs (that should not be there).