Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one??

I have a 94 Civic hatch and am in the process of doing a full (f and r) disc brake conversion off a 99/00 Si.
Simple question, which brake booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve do i need? I don't want to upgrade anything that isn't NECESSARY as this isn't an auto-x car, I just need better brakes, not incredible brakes.
Would I be ok with a 40/40 proportioning valve off a 94-00 non-abs Integra and keeping the rest stock? Or b/c I'm running larger front brakes do I NEED to upgrade the master cylinder too...

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (CivicVX94)

ttt
Old 09-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (CivicVX94)

I have a 94 DX hatch and I changed out the prop valve to a 4040 one, and I bought a brand new OEM master cylinder from a 91 wagon I believe (4 wheel discs). My entire swap came from a 94 LS (front and back).

Get a new master cylinder, they arent that expensive

booster is the same
Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should get a 15/16 MC so that when u brake your pedal doesn't go all the way down. You need a 4040 prop valve inorder to use your rear disc brake set up.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one??

So i need a 40/40 proportioning valve, a 91 Civic wagon master cylinder (is this the 15/16th one?), and a brake booster off a 91 wagon also?

Is the 4040 prop valve off of 92-95 civic ex/si and 94-01 non-abs integra's? and it's a direct swap out or will i need to flare lines and such?

Thanks alot for both your help, it's appreciated
Old 09-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (vietfella)

the cheapest and easiest route would be:

a rebuilt 15/16th master cylinder for a 91 civc ex

a used 40/40 prop valve from a 90-93 integra but you need to change the bracket.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (vietfella)

you have to find a prop valve from a non-abs vehicle.

the 91 civic ex master cylinder is a direct bolt on to your stock brake booster.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i need a 40/40 proportioning valve, a 91 Civic wagon master cylinder (is this the 15/16th one?), and a brake booster off a 91 wagon also?

Is the 4040 prop valve off of 92-95 civic ex/si and 94-01 non-abs integra's? and it's a direct swap out or will i need to flare lines and such?

Thanks alot for both your help, it's appreciated </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I have the 15/16th one And yes the prop valve fits with all of them OEM flared lines.

The prop bracket only has one hole that lines up, and it says NOT TO REMOVE the bracket in the helms. One bolt holding it up + all of the brake lines holds mine up securely.

Hope this helps! Lemme know if you need me to dig up the part number for the new 15/16 from Honda... I think it was like $135

Old 10-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (B18EG6)

hell ya guys, thanks a ton for your help
This really clears everything up....

Is replacing the brake booster necessary? I heard that if you get a non-abs 94-01 teg master cylinder and brake booster it has a huge difference over just getting the 15/16 MC? Is any of this right or will the 15/16th MC off the 91 civic ex work just as good?

Thanks again for the help, it's greatly appreciated.
&lt;retarded w/ brake lines/systems
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The prop bracket only has one hole that lines up, and it says NOT TO REMOVE the bracket in the helms. One bolt holding it up + all of the brake lines holds mine up securely.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

though the helms might say that, but it's still necessary to do. and quite easy if you are paying attention. i rather have all three bolts than one.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is replacing the brake booster necessary? I heard that if you get a non-abs 94-01 teg master cylinder and brake booster it has a huge difference over just getting the 15/16 MC? Is any of this right or will the 15/16th MC off the 91 civic ex work just as good?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

upgrading the M/C is necessary. i went with a 1" M/C and booster off of a gsr.
the 91 civic ex is a straight bolt on, with the gsr or itr, you have to have custom brake lines mad to fit properly.

the 4040 prop valve can be pulled off of any 90-93 integra or a 94-95 integra ls (non abs). i have heard mixed stories about how easy they are to swap, but ihad difficulty, so be prepared.

i do recommend getting some steel braided lines. they will help with the padal feel.
if you have any other questions, feel free to IM me.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (philosofy1)

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it

So i'm trying to make sure I have everything here right...I do not want to do any custom brake line stuff, I'd prefer as direct of a swap as possible..
I need to buy:
40/40 prop valve from a 90-93 integra and either switch brackets or only use one hole but the lines will fit right?

I'm still kinda confused about the master cylinder and brake booster...
If I want to not modify the lines, is my only choice the 91 civic wagon MC with the factory booster? Can I use the 90-93 Integra (non-abs) MC and booster with stock lines?

Thanks again for everyone's help
Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just use the 91 civic ex 15/16" master cylinder with your stock booster, it will bolt on as well as all the lines. the non-abs integras also use a 15/16" MC. theres no reason to change to an integra booster and MC unless you want to spend more cash. keep the booster stock and swap the MC.

your civic lines will fit in a 90-93 4040 prop valve just swap the bracket.

thats all you'll need!

Modified by ejprimo at 8:43 PM 10/14/2007
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (ejprimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejprimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just use the 91 civic ex 15/16" master cylinder with your stock booster, it will bolt on as well as all the lines. the non-abs integras also use a 15/16" MC. theres no reason to change to an integra booster and MC unless you want to spend more cash. keep the booster stock and swap the MC.
your civic lines will fit in a 90-93 4040 prop valve just swap the bracket.
thats all you'll need!
Modified by ejprimo at 8:43 PM 10/14/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>
The only reason I want to replace the BB is b/c I heard that there is a dramatic difference with a difference one over a stock one VX/CX one...
Will the 91 civic ex bolt onto an Integra non-abs BB? Wouldn't that allow for better braking power and still keep stock lines?
Thanks a lot for the fast reply, I really appreciate it
Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only reason I want to replace the BB is b/c I heard that there is a dramatic difference with a difference one over a stock one VX/CX one...
Will the 91 civic ex bolt onto an Integra non-abs BB? Wouldn't that allow for better braking power and still keep stock lines?
Thanks a lot for the fast reply, I really appreciate it </TD></TR></TABLE>

if i'm not mistaken the boosters are the same. it's the M/C that is the differnce. it's larger allowing more fluid to get to where it needs to go, compared to your current M/C. upgrading your M/C will be a good benefit and help with your braking.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one??

I'm reading a lot of comments about the added benefit of a 15/16" MC, and while I agree that this can be beneficial, a 7/8" MC will do just fine. What's more important is a good set of rotors and pads, combined with a good set of tires... and you will stop fine.

The 99-00 Si came with a 7/8" MC, and having a 00 EX to start with, I upgraded to Si rear discs from drums, and went with a 4040 prop valve. Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and stainless lines, and the thing stops pretty well. The pedal does not need to go to the floor as a lot of people claim. Upgrading a MC and moving more fluid isn't going to do crap if your pads and rotors don't bite.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm reading a lot of comments about the added benefit of a 15/16" MC, and while I agree that this can be beneficial, a 7/8" MC will do just fine. What's more important is a good set of rotors and pads, combined with a good set of tires... and you will stop fine.

The 99-00 Si came with a 7/8" MC, and having a 00 EX to start with, I upgraded to Si rear discs from drums, and went with a 4040 prop valve. Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, and stainless lines, and the thing stops pretty well. The pedal does not need to go to the floor as a lot of people claim. Upgrading a MC and moving more fluid isn't going to do crap if your pads and rotors don't bite.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the 99-00 si MC are 7/8" been looking for that anwser all morning

ive got teggy rear disc goin on on my 93 dx hatch

and ive got a buddy with 99-00 si MC and brake booster for sale
does abs noo-abs matter for the MC and brake booster
and ill need a 40/40 prop valve too right
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake Booster/Master Cylinder/Proportioning Valve...which one?? (markH22eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 99-00 Si came with a 7/8" MC, and having a 00 EX to start with...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgot to mention the Si and EX share the same 7/8" MC so I didn't upgrade that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markH22eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does abs noo-abs matter for the MC and brake booster
and ill need a 40/40 prop valve too right</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why are you inquiring about abs/non-abs? If you're trying to pick up an Si MC and booster then it's already non-abs. Done deal... and yes, I'd say get the 4040 with the Si parts.