Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake bleeding 94 Ex w/ABS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake bleeding 94 Ex w/ABS

Like the title says. I'm having some trouble bleeding my brakes, Here is the situation:

I decided to replace my brake fluid as it seemed (and smelled) like it had never been changed since it rolled out of the factory. The way I did this was to disconnect the brake lines at each caliper one at a time and slowly pump the pedal a couple of times while at the same time adding some new fluid until clean fluid came out.

Once that was done, I went ahead and bled the system as per the helms, now my brake pedal is mushy, as If there was still air in the system. I've re-bled three times and the fluid has been consistently bubble-free.

Here is my question: Do I also have to bleed the ABS modulator? and if so, how do I go about that without the ABS/ALB checker? I've searched, and the only information i've found is for tegs and accords.

Any and all suggestions will be highly appreciated
Old 03-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake bleeding 94 Ex w/ABS (HalfAnP)

bump
Old 03-18-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you said remove the brake line you meant the bleeder valve right? little more info on the seq of bleeding the brake.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake bleeding 94 Ex w/ABS (2lua)

no I undid the banjo bolts and removed the lines from the caliper; not unscrew the bleeder. Though on second thought I'm wondering why I didn't do that in the first place...
Old 03-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Brake bleeding 94 Ex w/ABS (2lua)

I took a brake job on a prelude, real simple just replace the brake fluid. I was half way done then i look and see an ABS system and i was screwed.

What you need is a special tool thats about 2 ft long that can bleed ABS. Snap On makes one. I ended up just taking the car to honda and paying 100 bucks for them to bleed the whole system.

It sucks but without that tool your screwed.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake bleeding 94 Ex w/ABS (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I took a brake job on a prelude, real simple just replace the brake fluid. I was half way done then i look and see an ABS system and i was screwed.

What you need is a special tool thats about 2 ft long that can bleed ABS. Snap On makes one. I ended up just taking the car to honda and paying 100 bucks for them to bleed the whole system.

It sucks but without that tool your screwed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn,

Is the lude ABS system similar to the civic? I've heard that honda uses two or three of them (different systems). In any case, I'll go ahead and look into that tool, though I don't know if its worth buying it just to use it once a year, snap-on too.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I usually just lurk around here and you always seem to have responses that are useful and on-point.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try bleeding the lines at the master cylinder and the abs unit, just pump up the brakes and brake loose(need a 2nd person). Bleed just as you would bleed at the calipers. if that doesnt work take it to honda..You prob at some point ran the mc or abs unit empty and that is the source of your problem..............John