Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

boosting problems !help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosting problems !help!

Basically the ecu wont let the car go into boost, it used to work fine but now this happens: when I rev the car up to about 3700 rpm when the turbo should start spooling up, the check engine light flashing and the rpms drops, not letting the car go into boost.Initially, I thought it was the map sensor, so I installed a new one (which read proper voltage)and it didn't fix the problem. Next I checked the spark plugs and they looked worn so I got new ones and the problem was still recurring. I even disconnected the battery for a while, just in case the ecu went into limp mode and needed to reset itself. At this point Im sure the problem has to do with the ecu in some way. I still haven't opened the ecu to check if maybe some wires disconnected or got messed up in some way but I doubt thats the problem.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: boosting problems !help!

Are you running a chipped ECU with a basemap for your injectors and setup? Is it tuned? Do you have the proper sparkplugs with the proper gap? Which MAP sensor are you running?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is running a chipped D15b7 ecu with Hondata s200 and it is tuned by Lowe Performance in Alton, IL (for anyone who knows him, he's a good tuner).

Spark plugs were replaced AGAIN 3 days ago (BKR7E's) and gapped at around 0.28. Had BKR7E's before that were put in 3 months ago and were already burnt up. Looking at switching over to some 8 range NGK's soon to see if that helps.

Map sensor was originally thought to be the culprit (wasn't showing power). Replaced the sensor AND ran a new power wire (which was the real problem). MAP sensor is a GM 3 bar that has been tested and works fine. The sensor and wires are showing proper voltage.

Right now it looks like the ECU could be the main culprit. I'm opening it up today to take a look. Will update. (I'm responding for my friend, vietrob1037).
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok... so the problem is solved...

It was a bad wire (which is what I thought it would be) in the OBD1 conversion harness that I had checked before, but evidently not well enough...

It had been spliced apart by the previous owner, who instead of soldering them back together, had just twisted the ends together and electrical taped around them... go figure, I'm losing count of how many wires I've had to replace/reconnect now in this car.

Anyway, I pulled the tape apart and found the two ends not even close to touching each other anymore. Thanks for anyone who looked and thanks for taking an interest Schister66. I shoulda caught this earlier!