Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Boost Pressure ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Pressure ??

Hi,
I have a problem i notice today, My 00 civic si has a T-3 Turbo set up and it is set to run 8-PSI boost, which it worked fine and today it just decide to go to 12-PSI on its own, I wonder what went round???? I check the T-connectors on the vacuum lines and i have tie wraps on all T's and vacuum connections which look good and tight.

Any Help there any one??????
Old 09-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Boost Pressure ?? (madracer)

Check your vaccuum line coming off the turbo going to the wastegate, it may have a crack in it from either being old, from the heat, or it's not strong enough to use as a boost line

Also check your fitting coming out of the compressor side of the turbo and on the wastegate to see if they may have come loose

If this isn't one of your problems i'm guessing something is wrong with your wastegate such as the diaphram, or if your running a boost controller something may have malfuctioned with it

Just check it out, these are simple things to check
Old 09-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Pressure ?? (Nichelson_Performance)

Thank you for replying to my Problem, I have a external wastegate so there is no lines come off the turbo to the wastegate, but there is vacuum lines from the bov to the manifold and the wastegate to the manifold etc. i do not have a boost controller on yet but using a 8-PSI spring in the wastegate right now and it was working fine up till yesterday and this afternoon i drove the car and all of a sudden the boost decide to go into 12-PSI instead of 8-PSI. I will open the wastegate tomorrow and see if the diafram is any good or busted.....

thanks....
Old 09-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i dont know how that vaccuum/manifold line operating the WG works because i could not get mine to work like that

what i did was drill and tap the compressor housing and put a brass fitting in it and ran that to the wastegate

the majority of turbo setups i've seen is done like this instead of a vaccuum line coming off the manifold

hope you get it figured out
Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah bud i know wat u mean about your boost doing that.... its called Boost spike... which means that your wastegate allows a little to alot of boost more than what you have it set at. I bet you have a ebay wastegate huh??? i have one myself but i guess i was lucky on this one cause it runs great... sometimes it does go past 7 psi but its rare. I would open the wastegate and check it. And if you are planning on getting a boost controller dont get a cheap one! im telling u cause i have had experiences with them lol!!! get a turboxs one which will cost u about $50-80 depending where u get it from. But let me know about anything else and Nichelson_Performance is right bout needing to check those lines, and do consider tapping into your compressor cause that is one of the best Boost source for the wastegate...
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Boost Pressure ?? (Nichelson_Performance)

Hi,
I opened the boost controller to day and i can't really tell if it is bad or not, do you have a idea what it looks like when the diafram is bad????? In the mean time i was wraping my dump tube with heat wrap and also the a/c lines as well.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to look for cracks in it or see if it has a hole in it, even a small pin size hole will create problems

did you check all of your vaccuum lines since you said your running a line off the manifold? see i'm pretty sure this is why using a line coming off the turbo itself is the most popular way to regulate your WG and it's the easiest to fix if something like this happens