Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BLOX Spherical Trailing Arm Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLOX Spherical Trailing Arm Bearings

anyone got any experience with these? i ask cuz i put my car up today on the lift and mine are completely shot.

more specific questions
how are they to install?
how do they bolt in?
got pics of your setup?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BLOX Spherical Trailing Arm Bearings

CRAP
Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KPPPowa
CRAP
People like you are why other REAL enthusiasts hate going on this site lately.

But as for the OP, I have heard of spherical bearings being very good. I am not sure of the BLOX version. But I would be interested in some reviews as well
Old 12-15-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing? lets add those energy suspension inserts aswell into this.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, interested as well...
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't have to be blox it can be any thing similar to the blox aswell. SPherical type
Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rubber bushings provide damping for high frequency vibrations, giving better ride quality and lower road noise. They also have some play in them, which is why going to stiffer materials (polyurethane or harder rubber) improves the responsiveness of the car at the expense of noise and vibration.

Spherical bearings have no vibration damping. While this isn't an issue for some, it is for others. The primary issue with them in a street car is their limited usable lifespan compared to rubber.

No opinions, or personal experience, on Blox products.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Blox rear trailing arm spherical bearing kit on my car. It is the only Blox product I have installed. I have seen the PWJDM version and it looks exactly the same.

You do need to drill some small holes into the trailing arm to mount the bearing, but all the hardware should be included for this if you bought it new. There is slightly more road noise, but compared to before (OEM rubber bushings that were torn), the difference is all positive. I noticed that my steering seems more precise around turns. The car handles MUCH better all around. I didn't think it would make much difference, but I could tell as soon as I started backing my car out of the garage. I don't plan on ever going back to rubber bushings. In fact, I am looking at replacing my entire suspension with spherical bearings as pieces need to be replaced.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 PM
xep
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to install these in my DA over the next week or two when I get the time, hopefully the rainstorms let up a bit since I don't have access to a big enough garage right now =\

I've used polyurethane before with mixed feelings about them, hearing that they can cause binding. I ended up crashing that car into a mountain somewhere in Bonny Doon and ended up parting it out and getting an identical DA that had torn rubber bushings.

I replaced those with new OEM ones -- only took a few minutes, thanks Honda/Acura Bushing X-Tractor Tool! It was definitely an improvement over broken bushings but I've always felt that there's this part of my rear suspension that's got a bit of play and is lacking.

I notice that if I have the car on stands and push up on the wheel it's got some good play from a brand new rubber bushing and makes an annoying squeaking sound. I had this noise problem (very annoying on speed bumps) before with the polyurethane bushings, but I've figured out it's caused by new OEM rubber ones as well. Another thing annoying about OEM rubber RTA bushings is that you have to "index" them if your car is lowered to ensure proper preload and that they won't prematurely fail. I did this a bit but they're still worn more than they should be...

Anyway, I just picked up the BLOX ones earlier today from Vex Motorsports and they look pretty neat. It's weird that they need to be bolted up, since they decided to not make them as ride as the stock bushing.

I'm dreading having to burn/scrape out a set of relatively new RTA bushings for the collar (this is needed on the DA as we have larger RTA bushing diameters) but I guess it's gotta be done.

I hope the drilling part won't be a pain in the ***... Which side did you end up bolting it to anyway? On the outside or the inside? I'm guessing the outside will be easier.

Anyone have tips for spherical bearing suspensions? Is there something we can do (apply some sort of grease?) to extend the lifetime of parts? After this upgrade, I'll have pretty much the entire rear running on spherical bearings and I've got the front radius rods on spherical bearings too.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Information Leafblower

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xep
I'm going to install these in my DA over the next week or two when I get the time, hopefully the rainstorms let up a bit since I don't have access to a big enough garage right now =\

I've used polyurethane before with mixed feelings about them, hearing that they can cause binding. I ended up crashing that car into a mountain somewhere in Bonny Doon and ended up parting it out and getting an identical DA that had torn rubber bushings.

I replaced those with new OEM ones -- only took a few minutes, thanks Honda/Acura Bushing X-Tractor Tool! It was definitely an improvement over broken bushings but I've always felt that there's this part of my rear suspension that's got a bit of play and is lacking.

I notice that if I have the car on stands and push up on the wheel it's got some good play from a brand new rubber bushing and makes an annoying squeaking sound. I had this noise problem (very annoying on speed bumps) before with the polyurethane bushings, but I've figured out it's caused by new OEM rubber ones as well. Another thing annoying about OEM rubber RTA bushings is that you have to "index" them if your car is lowered to ensure proper preload and that they won't prematurely fail. I did this a bit but they're still worn more than they should be...

Anyway, I just picked up the BLOX ones earlier today from Vex Motorsports and they look pretty neat. It's weird that they need to be bolted up, since they decided to not make them as ride as the stock bushing.

I'm dreading having to burn/scrape out a set of relatively new RTA bushings for the collar (this is needed on the DA as we have larger RTA bushing diameters) but I guess it's gotta be done.

I hope the drilling part won't be a pain in the ***... Which side did you end up bolting it to anyway? On the outside or the inside? I'm guessing the outside will be easier.

Anyone have tips for spherical bearing suspensions? Is there something we can do (apply some sort of grease?) to extend the lifetime of parts? After this upgrade, I'll have pretty much the entire rear running on spherical bearings and I've got the front radius rods on spherical bearings too.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-54/spherical-trailing-arm-bushing-brands-2611848/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/rear-trailing-arm-spherical-bearings-rta-1768438/

Here are another couple of threads that talk about spherical bearings. SBs will still need to be rebuilt, perhaps more often than rubber, but it's the price you pay for having performance parts. Just like sticky tires, they offer better performance at the expense of longevity of the product. Of course, this amount all depends on how frequently you drive and the manner in which you drive the car.

SBs do not need to be "clocked" like rubber bushings do. It will also not need to be replaced completely, but rebuilt as necessary depending on how it is driven.

http://wickedtuning.com/

Here is another company that makes a RTA bearing. I would ask them about anything else that can be done to extend the lifetime of these type of products.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...asy/index.html

Here is an install guide for spherical bearings into the trailing arm.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by bluebomber; 01-18-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
xep
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks! Looks pretty straightforward except in the case of my car, I will have to destroy the two old bushings to obtain their collars which are then to be used as spacers..

My bushings are only a year old on these arms, I might try to find a set of arms at a junkyard instead and hack those up, then I can also minimize downtime of my car.

The bushings in the Honda Tuning article they have there look almost better in some way -- they have a plate on either side of the trailing arm and long bolts to secure it.

The BLOX ones seem to expect you to just drill through part of the sheet metal on the arm and affix the units to that. The bolts don't go through the arm from one side to the other. They don't include assembly lube either, so I'm assuming BLOX intends for people to install the brass shaft into the bearing dry?

Then again BLOX makes some pretty good stuff so I'm going to give it a whirl as soon as I can. The stock, soft rear trailing arms are just plain awful and add lots of unpredictability to the car -- like when braking hard there's a lot of geometry change in the rear.

I'll see about taking pictures / possibly video along the way and do a write-up for installing these on a DA Integra since the process is a little bit more involved than hammer-out, hammer-in, and drilling.