Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown Headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Headgasket?

My car started to heat up while driving home. At first, I had thought it might have been the thermostat, so that was the first thing I changed the very following morning. After changing it, flushing and refilling the coolant, it still overheated after a 3-4 minute drive. The needle would go 3/4 way up and sometimes almost all the way to H.

It felt as if coolant wasn't circulating, so I ran the car WITHOUT the thermostat just to make sure. After testing it, nothing changed. I noticed the top radiator hose was always hot and the bottom was cold. Not warm.. COLD..

Next thing that came to mind was a clogged radiator. I bought a new radiator and filled it up, started the car and tried to top it off. I noticed that it didn't take long at all to top it off so I figured that coolant wasn't retruning to the radiator.

With the car cold, I removed the top radiator hose and absolutely NO coolant came out, which would if the water pump was somehow broken, yet it was only 2000 or less miles old.

I removed the waterpump today and spun the pulley. EVERYTHING seemed like it was in working order. No play, no broken blades, ETC..

Last thing that came to mind was a blown headgasket.

NOW.. Is it possible that my headgasket is blown without the car puffing out white smoke? Also, my coolant overflow did not overflow. No milk residue underneath the cap, etc..

I've heard a few opinions, but I'd like to hear more.

And IF my HG is blown, what are the chances of having a warped head?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown Headgasket? (I3ooS710)

is your fan kicking on? if you did blow the head gasket then your head is warped. you are going to need to get it resurfaced before putting it back on
Old 03-24-2006, 07:50 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Headgasket? (fmrprojects)

I doubt its your headgasket, with no milky substance or white smoke and that type of coolant problems. If your pump is fine something is clogged.

Try this: Take off your upper and lower radiator hose, and thermostat. Stick a garden hose through the top water port and see how much water comes out.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

naw, it really doesnt' sound like ur headgasket...that'd be a first for me with those symptoms...

Try what the guy above me said

but since u got a new rad, I doubt 2 would be clogged in the same place...

it's almost like u have a clogged hose someplace, or a leak, a big one

Sorry I can't help u further, keep us posted though, def. wanna know what that could be...
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Blown Headgasket? (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt its your headgasket, with no milky substance or white smoke and that type of coolant problems. If your pump is fine something is clogged.

Try this: Take off your upper and lower radiator hose, and thermostat. Stick a garden hose through the top water port and see how much water comes out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do that; sounds like a clog somewhere in your system other than the rad. Possibly the IACV or FITV. The iacv has a screen that will clog up... keep us posted
Old 03-24-2006, 09:21 PM

i replied in ur old thread and u DONT need to see white smoke, or milky oil to have a headgasket. u may not have these 2 symptoms but still may have a blown headgasket and yes if your headgasket is blown your head is warped because your car has overheated the cyclinder head on honda negines is aluminum so its very easy to warp it and if u dont get it resurfaced and checked for straightness you'll put a new headgasket in and it will jus blow again !!! good luck headgaskets arent fun to change
Old 03-25-2006, 12:08 AM

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i replied in ur old thread and u DONT need to see white smoke, or milky oil to have a headgasket. u may not have these 2 symptoms but still may have a blown headgasket and yes if your headgasket is blown your head is warped because your car has overheated the cyclinder head on honda negines is aluminum so its very easy to warp it and if u dont get it resurfaced and checked for straightness you'll put a new headgasket in and it will jus blow again !!! good luck headgaskets arent fun to change</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a feeling it's the gasket as well. I know other people are saying something may be clogged, but I highly doubt it. The bottom hose has absolutely no flow and neither does the top. The waterpump spins freely and is OEM Honda so I don't see how that would fail within 2000 miles. Thermostat isn't even there at this moment so there's no possible way it coolant would clog/get stuck there. Radiator is brand spankin new, even the radiator cap.

I'm rulling it down to the HG as of right now, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

Approx. how much does it cost to get a head re-surfaced?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i replied in ur old thread and u DONT need to see white smoke, or milky oil to have a headgasket. u may not have these 2 symptoms but still may have a blown headgasket and yes if your headgasket is blown your head is warped because your car has overheated the cyclinder head on honda negines is aluminum so its very easy to warp it and if u dont get it resurfaced and checked for straightness you'll put a new headgasket in and it will jus blow again !!! good luck headgaskets arent fun to change</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just went through two head gaskets myself on my USDM engine, and i fixed it and even had the head resurfaced and it blew again 2 weeks later and my car NOT ONCE went above 3/4 of the way up. well it turned out i had a big crack in my block. i swapped in a JDM D15B SOHC VTEC longblock with 35,000 miles and i'm happy as a clam. of course i have to get the VTEC working still by getting a P28 ecu...

although with me, the first time it went hot was when the sensor for the radiator fan broke and my fan stopped running at 90 mph on the freeway. then when it finally went my car puked white smoke out the pipe. then it puked smoke again after it blew the second time, and every time it blew the gasket, the car would idle like sh#$

one more thing, i found a shop that fixed my head gasket and bought the "gaskets package" or whatever it is thats like 100 bucks AND they resurfaced my head for 746.00 but my whole engine swapping ordeal cost me 971.00 so it was way worth it. the shop gave me my money back cause they didn't know why it kept blowin. anyhow hope i helped