Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown headgasket?

i know this has been asked b4 but everything i searched didnt help me...

my exhaust dosen have any color when it comes out. but dose smell like burning coolant
my coolant lvl never changes but dose look very dirty ( i just changed it few months ago) its not see through... would the coolant be whitish if i had a blown head gasket? or do u mean not able to see though when they say milky?
my oil dose go down (seems to happen only when i go into vtec.
my sparkplugs are whitish which says im running lean right? dose that have anythign to do w/ it?
blown headgasket?

i have a d16z6

i can post pict tomarrow
Old 08-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Blown headgasket? (lavo81)

if you are scared of a headgasket, or think you are burning coolant, find someone with a headgasket hydrocarbons tester. usually the big named tool companies have them. they check for hydro carbons in your cooling system.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To see if you got a blown headgasket.

1. are you blowing whitish smoke out your exhaust?
2. is there oil in your coolant
3. is there coolant in your oil (this will become pasty and whitish.
4. does your car smell like rotten eggs?
5. does your car over heat in under 7 mins of idle? if so does your fan kick on? Change the thermostat with a OEM unit and if it still does most likely your headgasket.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

I just finished my head gasket job a few days ago. My symptoms were:
1) White Smoke from Exhaust.
2) Overheating quickly.

I didn't have coolant in oil or vice versa. If you have the time and know how I'd say do it your self if it is the gasket, you'll save a shitload of money. Just don't forget to have your head resurfaced.

And if your car has been acting like this for a while I recommend having it pressure tested too. Just incase the head is cracked.

Good Luck
Old 08-08-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

1) no
2) the coolant is not whitish just cant see though it (really green)
3) will check but last time i checked no
4) no
5) my car never overheats and the thermostat is broken
Old 08-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (lavo81)

Coolant smoke will be white as snow, but oil smoke can also be confused as "white" because it usually has a light greyish/blueish hue to it.
It's not uncommon for higher mileage Hondas to use oil and smoke out of the exhaust if it's been driven hard, or if the maintenance wasn't kept up by a previous owner and now you're out racing it.

There is a really cool trick for properly diagnosing a blown head gasket, but it requires a really cool part in order to do so.

Try finding a coolant funnel that has a radiator cap adapter on it so you can screw the funnel to your top radiator tank just like you'd screw on the radiator cap. (This tool is also used for bleeding cooling systems, so it's useful for years beyond simple head gasket tests.)

Fill the funnel halfway with coolant, then start the car. It is normal for the car to suck coolant down into the radiator from the funnel, so keep adding coolant until it levels off at about halfway in the funnel.

It is 100% normal for the coolant to bubble in the funnel until the cooling fans come on.

If the engine temps reach halfway or right near it, your fans should come on. If the coolant in the funnel continues to bubble, or worse - if it gushes or has an oily film in it while it bubbles - then you definately have a blown head gasket.

This is exactly how my shop diagnoses blown head gaskets, along with another tool that measures exhaust gas content in your coolant, but the "funnel trick" is the **** and it is also the best way to bleed your cooling system even if you don't have a blown head gasket.

If the coolant stops bubbling after the fans kick on, then you are simply burning oil out the exhaust.

Also if the engine begins to overheat while the funnel is on, it will bubble/gush even if you do not have a blown head gasket. such as if your thermostat isn't opening, your fans are not coming on, etc. You have to make sure that the fans come on and that the lower radiator hose is as hot as the upper hose (if the lower hose is cool, but the upper is hot then you need a thermostat) BEFORE you can even diagnose a head gasket problem.

BTW:

(Not all engines with blown head gaskets have milkshake-looking oil - only badly blown ones.)

Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

hey thanks , where can i get one of those?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (lavo81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lavo81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey thanks , where can i get one of those?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best place I know of for sure is off of any tool truck that stops at repair shops, such as Snap-On, Mac, Matco, but NAPA might have them too.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

ok thanks